Self Adjusting Threshold (SAT) on MXT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/keoD5gvvAyA[/video]

I'm far from being an expert, so feel free to chime in, but,
The above video is why you should learn how to use your MXT properly.
Buy the book written by Jeff Foster, and read the chapter on SAT, worth the buying the book alone.

Actually, the guy in the video has done everyone a favour by showing why Relic mode is different to Coin/jewelry mode.
And why gold mode has adjustable SAT speed.
With a swing speed like this guy, you need a very fast SAT speed??

I use relic mode in normal position for coin hunting, and think it has better depth.
BUT....low and slow swing speed is my game.
Fast SAT speeds have there uses, but I have found they can become unstable also.
That's why I prefer Relic mode IMO.

FYI

Coin/jewelry normal position & Alt position - Fast SAT
Relic normal position - Slow SAT
Relic alternate position - Fast SAT
Prospecting mode is adjustable SAT.

Hope this helps,

GD

Hmmm... well, it helped insofar as I can see that I've got a lot to learn. Subtitles on that YouTube vid would have been good too ;). Still, I now know there's at least one other person in WA with an MXT, so I feel a bit less lonely :).

The operating system for this amazing detector seems to have more undocumented features, shortcuts and cheats than a hacked version of PacMan! So when you talk about an "alternate position" for the coin/jewelry and relic modes, what setting are you referring to?

With the pin point trigger in Forward position in relic mode.
Like when you are in notch mode in Coin/Jewelry.

I am happy to loan you the book if you want?

Gold Diver said:
With the pin point trigger in Forward position in relic mode.
Like when you are in notch mode in Coin/Jewelry.

I am happy to loan you the book if you want?

Thanks so much for that generous offer, GD - I have responded more fully via PM.

Well guys. I just got an MXT Pro. And I have to say that my revisits to this amazing machine.( I had a standard mxt once). I am blown away by how nice and accurate this machine is to operate. I've had quite a few VLF machines and this one blows em all out of the water. Obviously the clever people at whites put an awful lot of work into this machine, and it shows. Personally for me the whole package including the above mentioned VSAT does everything it says on the box, and does it very well indeed. I'm loving detecting with it. It's fun again. :)

I have done extensive testing with the MXTs, Also please Note the you should get about 55 to 60 hours out of a set of Duracells, And that when you run the machine in Relic Mode because it has a Lower Sat Speed you Can Run The Gain A lot Higher, A Simple Test to Prove this Set the Machine up in Relic/Normal and then Run it with as much gain to the point where it starts to Churp and chatter then back it off just a touch so it is only just Stable, Then Switch to Coins Mode and see where the gain is Then Lower the Gain so it becomes Stable in Coins and Jewellery Mode and Watch How Far you have to Turn It Down,

The Gain Knob works Like a gearbox in that as you Turn it up It Multiplies the Gain By 1x, 2x, 4x, 8, 16x. Don't be afraid to turn it down because at just over half Gain It will find Coins at over I Foot Deep, ( I Know, I Saw Someone Do It ).

The MXT's Have A Secrete Weapon and That is A 3rd Tone that not Many People Know Of, Just Like in the Prospect Mode,
Using the 3rd Tone I Air Tested My Zippo Lighter at 39 inches / 1 Meter. So if you are using it in Normal Type Ground It Will Rival A PI Machine and Best of all It LOVES The Tinyist of Gold Chains It Will See Tiny Gold and it can see a piece of tin foil 1/8 x1/8 square, I have also found that ALL of the Whites Coils are the Best for that Machine, The 5.3 6"/150mm concentric coil is very hot on small gold and it can see coins down to about 10",, The 6x9 DD eclipse coil is great for nugget hunting as is the 6x4 but the 5.3 is better depth. The older 950 concentric coil is my favourite and is onlt beaten by the 12"/300mm coil on Depth,

The MXT Blew my ETrac to the Weeds and Monstered my Soverign GT And if you Have A junk/Iron Filled Site Then The MXT is A Killer, The MXT is that Good Minelab in Ireland Bought One and reverse engineered it so they could work out why it was so good on gold ETC When they were Building the X-Terra 705,

The MXT Was the Template for the GMT Goldmaster ( And NOT The Other Way Round ) As so many People Miss-Quote that Fact, When Whites were Making the MXT They had enough Technology Left over while they were still making the MXT That They Used it to Build the GMT, And It Was Built By the Best Man for the Job That Being Dave Johnson. Who Now Works For Fischer Labs/Texas, anyways if I can Help Just Call.

I Was going anywhere in the world and I could only take one Detector That Would Be The MXT.

Well if the Xterra 705 was based on the MXT they did a crap job of it.
I have owned both, and the 705 was not for me.
I am in WA where the ground tends to be very hot, the Xterra was terrible in some places that the MXT shines.
Wet beach sand.....forget it with the 705.
The 705 is designed to switch coils to make it run better, and they cost big $$.

Just a quick question Ridge Runner;
6x10 DD or the D2 coil?
I own a few others 5.3, 9.5, 6x4,
But the smaller coils make me feel like I'm going backwards in the field. (psychological I guess)
9.5 is awesome on the beach, but a bit noisey in mineralized ground.
5.3 is best for EMI,

Thanks in advance

GD

Hi. All. You hit the nail on the head ridgerunner. I am constantly blown away by how good the MXT is. The build quality and logical ease of use with all analogue type controls makes this machine a clear winner over many others. The three years Whites put into this machine in development really shows. The third tone you talk about and the sat system make this machine, and I don't know about you but I am finding the ID system deadly accurate nearly all of the time. One question... Is the D2 coil the same one that's on the new MXT.?? I have the pro. and I can't see any difference between the two machines other than the coil.

ronniecruisin said:
...I have the pro. and I can't see any difference between the two machines other than the coil.

With the MXT Pro/All Pro, WWhites added the three buttons below the display: Tone ID, Ground Grab and Backlight. The Trigger Switch functions are changed too, with a focus on pinpointing instead of alternate modes. If you want to compare these details with your MXT Pro manual, the MXT manual is here: http://www.whiteselectronics.com/media/downloadable/files/samples/m/x/mxt_instruction_manual.pdf

Hi. Grubstake. Yes I know the Pro and the All Pro have the same new three buttons. I was comparing those two. Not the MXT e series original. I was wondering if the new coil on the All Pro was a D2. And if that is the only change between mine and the All Pro. Also is there an advantage to be had using the D2 compared with the 300 coil supplied with the Pro. Why did they change it? Is it better?

Hi Ronniecruisin...

AS far as I know: yes, the D2 coil is the same coil that's supplied with the All-Pro. And also as far as I know, yep, the supplied coil was is the only difference between the Pro and the All-Pro.

For ideas on coils, have a look at this article by Steve H:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...ent/whites-electronics-mxt-metal-detector.htm

Steve Herschbach said:
The large 12" concentric coil and even the 9.5" concentric coil do not handle extreme ground mineralization very well, and the 12" is too large for many other tasks, like coin detecting trashy locations. The 6" x 10" Eclipse DD coil is possibly the best all around prospecting coil for the MXT for those that do not already have the 10" round DD coil and want to add a DD to the MXT. The solid construction is less likely to hand up on stubble and the narrow profile is good for getting into tight locations. However, if you have and All Pro and already have the 10" round DD coil it is a less useful upgrade. In that case I would tend to recommend the 4" x 6" Shooter DD coil for trashy locations and small gold nuggets.

To sum up, I recommend using either the 10" round or 6" x 10" elliptical DD coils for hunting heavily mineralized ground. To get the best performance on small gold, use the 4" x 6" elliptical DD (Shooter) search coil. The large 12" concentric is best used for hunting tailing piles.

It's also interesting reading what the designer, Dave Johnson, wrote about coils and the MXT:

"Back in the late 1990's and very early 20th century, the MXT was developed around the 10x6 elliptical DD.

And

MXT. 10x6DD is the foundation. Everything else is an accessory.

Good enough for me......Sold
6x10 DD on its way.

Anyone need a 5.3 concentric with Skid plate, I have an extra one available?

Thanks for all the advice guys

Thanks for all the input guys. Its nice to know I'm running the right coil. I suspected as much because it seems to suit the mxt really well.

6x10 DD coil arrived today in the post along with some other goodies?
Now, where to go first????

Just a word of warning;

If you change from the 950 coil to the 6x10 DD coil,
the VDI numbers for screw caps and $2 coins move up slightly.
I walked over a few 2$ coins, and dug a few more screw caps than usual before I realized.

GD

ronniecruisin said:
Hi. All. You hit the nail on the head ridgerunner. I am constantly blown away by how good the MXT is. The build quality and logical ease of use with all analogue type controls makes this machine a clear winner over many others. The three years Whites put into this machine in development really shows. The third tone you talk about and the sat system make this machine, and I don't know about you but I am finding the ID system deadly accurate nearly all of the time. One question... Is the D2 coil the same one that's on the new MXT.?? I have the pro. and I can't see any difference between the two machines other than the coil.

Sorry I have not got back sooner, been A bit Crook,

The D2 Coil is the same as the one that comes on the MXT and the V3i, When any of you buy Whites Coils make sure that they Are ( V- Rated ) because the old ones weren't Which means the Old ones won't work Properly on the V3i and the V- Rated coils are the Best Ones to Get, Period.

The 9.5/950 coil and the 300/12" will deal with EMI Better and also work on the Beach better, There is also a section in that Book the Edge that shows you how the MXT's Can even Tell you How Deep it will See it the Ground before you start detecting,

With the 12" Coil I have read about someone finding A ONE OUNCE Nugget at 18" Deep, In Alaska, So Just because it is Not A PI Don't Right It Off just Yet, and Learn to use that 3rd Tone and you will Add 30% Plus to its Depth capabilities. The MXT is the Only reason I wont buy another Machine even to the point of getting the V3i, The V3i is great at Prospecting But it can't match the MXT's Because of the Ground Tracking System, So Far Nothing has been made that is Even Close To It,
Also the MXT will Go even Deeper than the GMT, But where The GMT Shines is On FLY SPEC Sized Gold.

Using The D2 Coil you will Get More EMI and Loose about 2- 4 inches in Depth compared to the 300/12" Coil in Medium Type Ground and On the Beach that May Double.

Hope this Helps, and again Sorry about the Late reply,

John

T
The V3i is great at Prospecting But it can't match the MXT's Because of the Ground Tracking System,
The v3i has far more adjust ability than the MXT when i comes to tracking. Basically, when you run out of options in our soil with the MXT, you have no other option than to lower the gain. The v3i has multiple options before the gain is tampered with. Sometimes just a simply twig of the Autotracks off set or speed can make the world of difference in some ground. Not to mention the SAT adjust, which can also be turned off on the v3i. Freq/Loctrac off sets along with many other options makes the v3s much more tamable.

WA soil has a lot of uniformity compared to the eastern states, and in WA using locktrack on all three, MXT, V3i and GMT was better suited in most cases.
The MXT has no manual GB feature like the other two models where you can add and subtract.

Narrawa said:
T
The V3i is great at Prospecting But it can't match the MXT's Because of the Ground Tracking System,
The v3i has far more adjust ability than the MXT when i comes to tracking. Basically, when you run out of options in our soil with the MXT, you have no other option than to lower the gain. The v3i has multiple options before the gain is tampered with. Sometimes just a simply twig of the Autotracks off set or speed can make the world of difference in some ground. Not to mention the SAT adjust, which can also be turned off on the v3i. Freq/Loctrac off sets along with many other options makes the v3s much more tamable.

WA soil has a lot of uniformity compared to the eastern states, and in WA using locktrack on all three, MXT, V3i and GMT was better suited in most cases.
The MXT has no manual GB feature like the other two models where you can add and subtract.

I use the Locked Tracking all the Time,

You Can Adjust The MXT's Tracking to Normal Or Positive or Negative, That Just Boils down to how you use the Machine, By setting it Positive you increase the Detection Depth By a Few Inches,

Either way The V3i will not Match the MXT When it comes to Prospecting, Because the Tracking System is The same One Used in The GMT and the GMT Is The Result made From the Extensive work that was Put into Designing the MXT.

You
Can Adjust The MXT's Tracking to Normal Or Positive or Negative, That Just Boils down to how you use the Machine, By setting it Positive you increase the Detection Depth By a Few Inches,
I have the MXT E-series......cant see where im able to make that adjustment the way i can on the other two units.......perhaps you can on the Pro or All pro????.

Latest posts