how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon teach em young so maybe they can get me out off trouble if, ie broken limbs, snake bite etc.
Responsibility is also a big one when teaching them.
Cheers
Brad...

2010 Mazda BT50 twin cab 4wd. I have a 2.5 turbo courier 2001 model that has been worked pretty hard in my job as a concretor. It's carried a lot of weight and has made 5 trips to weipa and back where it lives now. i leave it there and fly in during the wet. it has done so well I upgraded to the Mazda. I think the BT50 is pretty good, plenty of power and not too bad at climbing in low range, the only thing I don't like is that it has the turning circle of a Mack truck. Fuel economy is pretty good at 10L/100 klms unless you are towing a van then it drops off to about 13L/100. All things considered I'm pretty happy with them both.

bisho said:
Hey Matt, i'm with you but i'm allowed to be bias. I'm about to pick up a new colorado and getting rid of my tray back cruiser, but can also agree with you Pete this is the second cruiser tray back i've had and it's been good, had to rebuild the gear box but thats a minor hiccough. the 4wd i had before the cruisers was a subaru brumby, now they were a great little billy cart. I would have still had it if it was big enough to tow my boat. I never have been into extreme 4wdring but i used mine to access better fishing spots

just to let you know, had the colorado for 2 months now, and love it, heaps better on fuel and got a lot more gumption than the cruiser would ever have. legal to tow 3.5 ton, hepas more room and comfort. Gotta admit though that it is hard to compare old with new without being bias, but we have got the new v8 cruisers at work but because of GPS we arent allowed to go over 60km/h (but the colorado is more comfortable)

1365235033_colorado_003_800x600.jpg

My pride and joy

Ben78 said:
Goldylox said:
Okay - some folk may not count this, but I have & adore my little Terios SX 4x4 diff lock (stop sniggering boys). I've had her from new (9 years now & she looks like a dog covered in faded flower stickers I wish I had never put on her) and she is fantastic out bush, easy to get out of bogs & she can get places bigger vehicles only dream of. I've even taken her up to Cooktown FNQ through boulder creeks in the wet & submerged her many a time up to the windscreen (no snorkel) - eek! She thinks she's a Land Rover on bad smack. The only thing I hate is that my hairdryer has a bigger motor. ;) Wish they still made these little bush bashers with a bit more grunt. She tows a wee caravan & tinny well too. Recently ripped the front seat out to accommodate my wheelchair as I need it on occasions. A bit cramped with a lard assed dog in there & the gear, but we manage well. :)

I was following a Terios the other day and I said to my wife, "I wonder why these things weren't more popular" Should be, decent suspension, dual range, lightweight.

Here's mine just before I dragged the winch cable out. Solo after work drive after a day of rain. Bit silly in hindsight... Had to do two consecutive winches to get unstuck...

Whats this winch business Ben :lol: :lol: Front Diff lock will get you out of that in two seconds. :p

Cheers Creekbed

HI all,

We've got a Land Rover Discovery 3, heres a photo of it parked up at new (recently burnt) area that we're working over at the moment :)

Jim & Kerrie

1366486107_dscf6180-optimized.jpg

Nice, I have a series 3 discovery 4cyl, bought for 3 grand. Never been off road except for the gravel driveway. Was owned by a retired bloke who just about love it to death and almost polished the paint off it. :) Mick
"Land rovers don't leak oil, there just marking their territory'' :D

I've just joined the club as of yesterday (well sort of :lol:). I bought a cheap run about, 97 model Kia Sportage.

iv got 1 a pajero 93 and i go every where in it i dont have a witch no it but i have a go if i think im going to get stuck i dont go there i love it and the fun i have in it

G'day Cookie, there's an art to 4wdriving, I've driven 4wds for about 30 years and I drive off road every day as part of my job (good fun). I think part of the secret to 4wdriving is knowing what your vehicle is capable of. I know I should be carrying more recovery than I do. I've only got a chainsaw, hilift jack and my prospecting shovel, this has got me out of quite a few awkward situations even though it's taken a while and a fair bit of work. Basic recovery gear that should be carried, hand winch, winch kit ( tree trunk protector, snatch strap, rated pulley block, rated D shackles, gloves, winch rope weight), high lift jack (you can buy adaptor kits that turn them into a winch), long handled shovel. If you are a solo prospector like me and venture into some wild places it would also pay to carry a set of max trax (studded plastic boards to chuck under the wheels when bogged), rated drag or snig chain, chainsaw and axe. If a person becomes stuck he or she should not panic or chuck a wobbly and rev the guts of the poor vehicle which only makes it worse or damages the vehicle or both. Get out of the vehicle and have a cup of tea, soft drink sandwich or something and study the situation, 9 times out of 10 you'll work out an easy way of getting it out. :) Mick

yer thats wright axeman i have a rope 2 straps and a shovel its good when you find a track that on one has used in a long time and just follow it iv found a lot of diggings like that but no gold in them yet

I drove up one wild track on a gold hunt a couple of weeks ago, looked like no one had been on it in years. One section I had to reverse up it because I haven't got a bullbar and the regrowth wattle was as thick as the hairs on a cats back, I was worried about punching a hole in the radiator . Another section I had to use the chainsaw for 3 trees that had fallen over the track. turning around wasn't an option, there was scrub either side of the track, I found the mines but no gold but I'm going back. :) Mick

Some pics of my new / old beast. Not too bad for $1800 hey :D, all it needed was a little bit of love.

Not a bad little unit there Nugget. We will have to see how it goes next time we go to Nundle. :)

As a mechanic I will stick to a Nissan patrol have had to rebuild to many gearboxes in those toyota's ,I'm not saying there not a good vehicle but there gear boxes are not the best diffs not that great either.but I guess I only see vehicles at there worst most times . :D

Keep up... do you need me to slow down :lol:. And where's your mafia windows hmmm?

Latest posts