how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't that rig featured in Australian 4x4 Action?
Bloody nice setup. I would be murdered and hung out to dry if I built some thing like that. LOL

I have a 94 turbo diesel hilux. The trailer was made to transport my RC planes and its also a good rig to cart my camping in and with a few tarps and a tent its like home.
This was at Reedy Creek, I took the pans but was more interested in detecting for Relics.

My only find but gotta be happy with it :D

My Suzi (the other woman) and I can sleep with her as well :p

1403854953_dsc_2106.jpg

Awesome jimny and rooftop tent. It's a set up I'd considered for prospecting too and if I had the spare dough I'm sure I'd have one by now. These little buggers go where the big rigs do and all the tight places they don't plus if you one man it often you save big bucks on fuel driving one of these.

nuggetino said:
Awesome jimny and rooftop tent. It's a set up I'd considered for prospecting too and if I had the spare dough I'm sure I'd have one by now. These little buggers go where the big rigs do and all the tight places they don't plus if you one man it often you save big bucks on fuel driving one of these.

This is a better pic of Suzi, true they can go anywhere - it will be even better when I put some decent muddies on it.

Cheers

Barry
1403858196_1522093_10200781930545183_1789378927_n.jpg

Heres my prospecting vehicle she's a 1995 75 series Troopy.

I searched for a year before I found her in Bundaberg, travelled up from Brisbane and picked her up in September last year.

The guy I bought it off had already toured Australia in it, with over 400K on the clock. Its done the Simpson Desert, Kakadu, the whole top end but he kept her well always fully serviced.

These pics are on the way up to Cairns:
1403861826_img_0386.jpg

1403861826_img_0387.jpg

1403861826_img_0388.jpg

It came with:
- Upgraded truck clutch;
- Upgraded truck gearbox;
- Dual fuel ULP and LPG both 90ltr tanks;
- Dual battery setup;
- Snorkel;
- TJM Winch capable Bullbar with side steps and bush bars;
- Mickey Thompson road tyres, fairly worn;
- Spare wheel carrier;
- Upper Cylinder fluid system;
- Extended Haynes Reece towbar;
- 12v Anderson connector at rear; and
- Outback draw system.

I've added:
- Hella Driving Lights;
- Roof rack;
- New set of Mickey Thompson 4x4 Baja STZ's all round;
- EFS 2" lift;
- Upgraded all shackles;
- All new EFS 80 duro Polyurethane bushes;
- All new EFS u-bolts;
- Upgraded all leaf springs to heavy duty spec;
- New EFS offroad shock absorbers;
- New EFS offroad steering dampner;
- 9500lb Electric Winch with steel cable and wireless remote;
- 80ch UHF radio and GME 477 MHz elevated feed whip Antenna;
- Reversing Camera and Forward Dash Traffic Camera;
- Waeco 35LTR 3 way Fridge;
- Built a 3M cable for the Anderson connector to jump leads to power anything external;
- 300W Inverter added to secondary battery and powerboard;
- Full set of recovery gear including MaxTrax, Snatch set, Rated D Shackles, Highlift Jack, Rated Tow Hitch;
- Heavy duty portable 12v Air Compressor for tyres 160 LPM free air delivery with 45 Min duty cycle @ 40 PSI;
- Tyre deflator / air pressure gauge;
- Full medical kit, also carry two smaller spare kits in backpacks; and
- Fire extinguisher.

I have a '96 Land Rover Defender 130 flat tray with canvas canopy & 370K on the clock. Have spent a fair bit of money on it since I bought it 5yrs ago but that expenditure has proven to be worthwhile as it has proven to be a good reliable work horse. It got me to the tip of Cape York and back home to Tassie last year without missing a beat, the only problem on the whole trip being a minor electrical fault caused by a wire rubbing on the chassis and causing the tail lights not to work.
The tray is 2.5 m long which allows ample room for all my prospecting & camping gear plus space to lay my swag when weather's lousy. I also rig up a tarp at the back to give me an under cover cooking area and a place to sit. Only takes a few minutes to set up with a couple of tent poles, adjustable spreader bar, guy ropes and a few 30cm tent pegs.

Thanks guys ! I see there is a lot of nice rigs out there and I know they all cost heaps, $$$$$$$ And take time to build. But its nice to see it all done and out using them!!! If you make it easy to use and comfortable you will use it more and enjoy our hobbies.

Cheers Gary

I've got a '04 Mitsi challenger. Pretty well stock except for bigger rubber, and it has the pump up bellows in the back.
She's narrow and has plenty of ground clearance, and a big cargo area. Perfect for my needs. Would like to upgrade it to a Navara or Ranger,
or maybe a Patrol. The economy and torque of the dual cabs is very attractive, as I also tow my in-laws 6m boat.

I just purchased a Navara D22 for $15000,with only 70000 on the clock. I have a few plans for setting it up for the more out of the way trips.. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated too.. Plans are 2inch lift, rock sliders, snorkel and also some camping mods.

Cheers Waz :D