how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was right in to 4x4ing and would drive some very hard tracks i now only use it for going to the harder out of the way spots for gold i havent found many people with one that go out looking for gold . I now have a hilux with 4.5 inch lift and 33's when i get some more gold ill add a winch just for safety so i can get out and home cos one day i wont with some of the tracks i drive

Okay - some folk may not count this, but I have & adore my little Terios SX 4x4 diff lock (stop sniggering boys). I've had her from new (9 years now & she looks like a dog covered in faded flower stickers I wish I had never put on her) and she is fantastic out bush, easy to get out of bogs & she can get places bigger vehicles only dream of. I've even taken her up to Cooktown FNQ through boulder creeks in the wet & submerged her many a time up to the windscreen (no snorkel) - eek! She thinks she's a Land Rover on bad smack. The only thing I hate is that my hairdryer has a bigger motor. ;) Wish they still made these little bush bashers with a bit more grunt. She tows a wee caravan & tinny well too. Recently ripped the front seat out to accommodate my wheelchair as I need it on occasions. A bit cramped with a lard assed dog in there & the gear, but we manage well. :)

Used to have a Suzuki Jimny. Would go nearly anywhere including floating on water. After 300 000 km traded it in on a swb pajero , more room for gear and grunt going up hills and climbing up rough tracks.

Still would have liked to keep my Jimny for some tracks but was not financially viable.

I had a jimny and it was one of the best 4x4 I had loved it till I put it on it's roof I miss my jimny

I got a 60Series Cruiser that I'm working on getting on the road.
Don't need an awefull lot done, just I'm lacking time to do it.
Bushes, seals, paint & exhaust are the main jobs.

Its got standard wide tyres 31.5x10x15?
2" lift, dual batteries & a winch.
Long range petrol tank. UHF

Won't be a serious bush bus but mainly for work & to get to a bit more remote spots with less worry of getting bogged

Hey Matt, i'm with you but i'm allowed to be bias. I'm about to pick up a new colorado and getting rid of my tray back cruiser, but can also agree with you Pete this is the second cruiser tray back i've had and it's been good, had to rebuild the gear box but thats a minor hiccough. the 4wd i had before the cruisers was a subaru brumby, now they were a great little billy cart. I would have still had it if it was big enough to tow my boat. I never have been into extreme 4wdring but i used mine to access better fishing spots

bisho said:
the 4wd i had before the cruisers was a subaru brumby, now they were a great little billy cart.

Agree'd the Brumby is a good little machine & highly under-rated.

My bro-inlaw has one with just road tyres & it gets in & out of some silly places

I have 2010 DiD Pajero, so a little reluctant to get it scratched on some tighter tracks. Was purchased as a tow car initially for our van.

We have 2002 tray hilux 3lt turbo diesel on which also has gas which gives me better economy and more power when towing and a 2010 Pajero diesel cheers Terry

Hi I'm new here.
I've had a few Subaru wagons over the years. Good honest cars but very prone to rusting.
Now got a 1992 TD42 GQ Patrol. Got around 440,000klm on her now, but a Good strong truck that goes anywhere I am interested in. No Turbo so a bit of a slug on hills and when towing but the torque in low range is incredible. I have towed Landcruisers up inclines that lesser vehicles would not even make it on their own let alone pulling two ton.

Go the Nissan. :lol:

Cheers guys
Creekbed

The GQ is a top 4wd Creekbed. Strong as an ox and easy to fix. The 4.2 is a top motor and will probably see the rest of the car out.
I know that is certainly the case with my GU. The body will fail before the heart.

Latest posts