Sapphire Bomb

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin&Lee said:
Just a quick one, whats a bomb when people are talking Sapphires? are they cutable or chuckers?

Cheers

Colin :)

Col, a bomb is the term used for an opaque sapphire (corundum). They are not considered as a gemstone of high value but can make some fine jewelery in the form of wire wraps and pendants. A "copper" coloured bomb should be carefully inspected, as on many occasions once cabbed they can through a "Star", hence the term "Star Sapphire". :eek: These can bring quite handsome prices...Cheers Wal. :)

Here is one I found 123ct Nov 2011 - Colin
index.php

:) Yes Wall would be nice, this one is simmilar to yours from same location

index.php

Nugget said:
Whats a stone of that caliber worth?

Wal would be able to comment as i don't really know the values it's 10.6ct it could vary from $100 per ct to $1000 per ct depending on clarity, inclusion, and many other factors ?? I just collect them makes the fish tank look better. :)

WalnLiz said:
Pity it wasn't a clear cornflower blue mate....would have been able to buy a house with it mate.....Cheers Wal. :)

I get little bit of light through that one Wal

index.php

Nice to see i'm not the only one Wal :) There is a lot of bombs in GG

I see what you meant if it was clear, Example : 21.09 carats of Burmese midnight-blue mystery. This stone, an example of Mogoks finest product, was offered in the late 1980s in Bangkok for $10,000/ct. wholesale. (Photo: Adisorn Studio, Bangkok) Thats $210,000 30 years ago
burma_sapphire_21ct-new.jpg

That's what a lot of guys don't realize Joe, ;) Gold can bring $1500 an ounce....and Sapphires can bring $1500 per ct. :eek: Lets try to keep it to just you and me looking for them :D ...Cheers Wal. :)

Joe, I've got both gold and sapphire fever, you ought to try digging at the central Queensland gemfields, it's bloody hard especially with the Clermont gold fields just up the road, don't know which one to attack first. :D Mick

Mick, I smell a cement mixer :) , seen those large retired cement trucks at the gem fields being fed by a conveyer belt. Breaking clay is no fun.

Great stuff there Col, :eek: You and Lee are certainly starting to fill the bucket up. Once you get that banker fired up you'll be surprised just how many more of those sapphires will show up ...best of luck, Cheers Wal :)