First attempt at silversmithing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made up a bezel setting and set that cabbed garnet in it. I'm prepared to accept the fact that it looks a bit crude but I was more or less happy given that it was my very first attempt. The stone is only about 7mm in diameter and was incredibly fiddly - I probably should have chosen something larger for a first go. I couldn't believe how tiny the dots of solder you use are, difficult to position because they stick to the flux. Also had three goes at soldering the bale one, which has put a melt mark in the front of it.

Took the garnet off the dop earlier and polished up the back as highly as it would polish - what a world of difference that made! The stone was previously so dark that it needed strong backlighting to show that it was transparent red, not black. With the back polished the dome and back create a magnifying lens and mirror effect, quite dramatically lightening the dark stone.

On Friday I will take in a much bigger cab to try and make a setting for. For the few small ones I have, I'm gonna cheat at the moment - bought some blank silver pendants and earrings on the weekend, that'll be easier :D

Have to learn it all though, not just cut stones and buy pre-made settings - it's sad to see that it's a bit of a dying art and I hope that someday I will be good enough to do it justice. Practice, practice, practice.........

15729613401_a848db8a99_c.jpg

Cheers guys. I have a feeling that the agate cab I've chosen for Friday will be a tad less fiddly, being around five times that size :)

looks pretty good for a first attempt lefty, as you said practice makes perfect, hard work always pays off!
good luck on future cuts and mounts
dan

Lefty said:
Cheers guys. I have a feeling that the agate cab I've chosen for Friday will be a tad less fiddly, being around five times that size :)
Probably like reversing a trailer. The bigger they are the easier they are to handle. :lol: :lol:

I can only give praise for what I'm seeing, excellent effort your on the road to proficiently producing the goods. Good luck on your journey great to see someone having a go and sharing.

After my first silversmithing attempt on Friday night, I went home and quickly whipped up this....

15589726878_e789dbc32a_c.jpg

Well, not entirely :D I bought the silver setting at the Bundaberg gem show. But I did cab the stone - rose quartz - and set it. To tell the truth, I don't like it all that much myself, it's just too pale. It looks slightly more pink to the eye than the camera sees, but not that much more. And those aren't scratches they are fluff - seems no matter how much you wipe the stone you can't get rid of the little bits. But wife likes it and that's all that matters. One of those garnets or some of that pinky-purple amethyst would have looked good but I didn't have a big enough bit of either.

Cheers guys.

I was really happy with how very dark garnet lightened up to display such a beautiful colour.

Tonight is my first attempt at faceting, I'm really looking forward to this!!! :)

ktmman said:
Good luck with the faceting, I will have to learn before my eye sight gets any worse :)

Same here Richard - though I'm probably about 20 years younger than the average member of my club :D

I usually only get in to my club on a Saturday morning when it's mostly kids and a few of the older members keeping an eye on them.

Which is good for me because I can monopolize the saws then :lol: I'm 45 Matturbo so I straddle the old and young members in age.