You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

rc62burke
08 November 2014 07:40 pm

Hi Guys

Like the title says, I am looking to get some fabric in preparation to build my Dryblower.
I am interested to hear your thoughts on what works best & also where you sourced it from.
cheers
Lee

gcause
TrackIT Software Pty Ltd
TrackIT Software Pty Ltd
08 November 2014 08:22 pm

I got given a set of bellows with a riffle box attached by George at NQ Miners Den and it has what looks like cheese cloth in it. Have a look at the bellows style drywasher thread, there was some discussion of cloth there.

One fellow picked up some cloth from Bunnings.

Site Sponsor

MJB
08 November 2014 08:33 pm

Hi Lee,

Reeds prospecting in WA have replacement fabric for the Keene dry blowers. $18 from memory but you get enough to do at least a couple of trays depending on the size. I found myself in the same position when I built mine. This stuff really looks like an open weave fine black cotton fabric. I went to Spotlight to try and find the same stuff but nothing was exactly the same.

This stuff is fine enough to hold the fines but loose enough to allow adequate air flow through.

Good luck

Gear used : Garret pans, mini sluice, Highbanker/sluice, Dry blower, Rock crusher and Minelab Pro-find pointer, MineLab XT17000

G0lddigg@
08 November 2014 09:01 pm

Ive tried a few now and reckon a cotton and synthetic blend is the go nothing too bouncy or you will experience sag.

Sluicing life is the life for me
Engineering Gold Sluices and Highbankers

rc62burke
08 November 2014 09:35 pm

Thanks guy's!!!
cheers
Lee

thedigger
08 November 2014 10:09 pm

I think Golddigg ,is pretty right on the material that you need.

Regards The Digger

flashinthepan
12 November 2014 09:34 pm

when I was looking out for material I tried to find the strongest I could with the smallest diameter of thread , with the hole size I wanted , the thicker the thread/cotton etc is the less holes there are per square inch so creates more resistance . I did find 2 types am happy with at spotlight but did a lot of looking and "strength testing" ,one is a fairly silky feel and tough as .
with thick thread stuff like say hessian, its just less holes per inch and a lot more resistance , hope this all makes sense
roll
also think this product on ebay is worth a look , its call metal silk , a type of woven stainless steel mesh that gets as fine as .035 mm hole size with very fine thread size, now thats fine!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Woven-Wire-4 … 3a997bc836

hope some of this helps
cheers ,flash

G0lddigg@
12 November 2014 09:37 pm

I think that stiff would clog up quite easily flash especially the chalky clay we get around here.

flashinthepan
12 November 2014 09:40 pm

yea wasn't really suggesting you use it that fine it comes in various grades and I reckon a sweet spot could be found with it, little sag, very long lasting wink

G0lddigg@
13 November 2014 07:40 am

you been getting much colour flash? the ground is drying up nicely

flashinthepan
13 November 2014 05:47 pm

hey golddig ,have only been out a cple times with the tecta since I posted the pics of the 3 itty bits a while back , to no avail.

yes the ground must be drying up we haven't had much rain at all in these parts ,next thing will be too hot and will only want to dry blow in the shade preferably by a river somewhere cool
go well
flash

1 user likes this post: Edi

Wazza78
23 February 2018 12:25 pm

Hi Guys

I am trying to find a suitable riffle tray cloth for a bellows drywasher. I bought some keens replacement cloth and will be testing this soon.
I also bought some muslin cloth from spotlight but this let way too much fines through.

Would anyone know of a type or brand of fabric I could get fairly easily and cheaply from a fabric store like spotlight or similar?

I appreciate any help or guidance

cheers
Wazza

G0lddigg@
23 February 2018 12:31 pm

anything open weave with a synthetic blend should do. you need to test the stretch strength to see if it would be suitable

Wazza78
23 February 2018 01:21 pm

Thanks GD,

Any further info you can add about this, like a type or something? The spotlight guys are pretty young and vague so I haven't had much success with their guidance!

Appreciate the help

Cheers Wazza

G0lddigg@
23 February 2018 01:32 pm

haha they aren't versed in gold recovery hey? in all seriousness theres no one brand what i found was important was that it was firm like a canvas but not so closed. a 50%/50% blend of synthetic worked work i must have tried 10 different cloths from spotlight and the one i settled on was almost the same as the replacement cloth i got from reeds in wa. accept from the shop it was $10 per meter smile something firm that you can breath through but not stretchy mate. look in the offcuts

1 user likes this post: malri_au

malri_au
23 February 2018 01:34 pm

It's gonna sound crazy,but I bought some fluro yellow work shirts,I can't wear them they produce so much static.

It was my thought to try them in a dry blower at some stage.

100% poly.

I don't have a dryblower,i'm just going on what produces more static,don't flame me for the suggestion,coz that's all it is.

Minelab SD2000|Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II|BH Pinpointer|Recirc Sluice|Pan|Noggin|Nubnutz|GM1000

Wazza78
23 February 2018 03:13 pm

Thanks a lot for the info guys

I certainly will take that info when I pop into spotlight GD

Cheers Waz

G0lddigg@
24 February 2018 09:55 am

Mate i dug a set pf mine from put behind the shed ill post a photo for you when im in the office and can resize it

Nightjar
24 February 2018 10:36 am

Looks like you are on track Waz, you'll be puffn' in no time.
Looking forward to the pics.

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

Goldfreak
24 February 2018 07:20 pm

I had some luck using old cotton bedsheets from targetthe. Not the soft winter type but the harder cheap generic one.

Wazza78
24 February 2018 09:08 pm

Ran about 100litres dirt today (about rubbish bin type size) but still managed to get 10 or so table spoons of dirt into the bellows. I used reeds keene replacement cloth which has a very fine mesh so not sure what else might stop the fines. Maybe im just unlucky!

Cheers waz

Moneybox
24 February 2018 11:48 pm

Wazza78 wrote:

Ran about 100litres dirt today (about rubbish bin type size) but still managed to get 10 or so table spoons of dirt into the bellows. I used reeds keene replacement cloth which has a very fine mesh so not sure what else might stop the fines. Maybe im just unlucky!

Cheers waz

Wazza, if you're using a bellows type to supply the air you need to have a reid valve to prevent the bellows sucking dust back through the mesh.

Phil, Sandra & Taz - GPX6000, GPX4500, SDC2300's, White's Goldmaster GMT, Equinox 800, pans, sieves and more in a 4WD motorhome.

1 user likes this post: malri_au

Wazza78
25 February 2018 09:41 am

Hi moneybox.

I should probably explain my setup........

I have an old gold wizard dryblower. GCAUSE poster pics of one he was restoring years ago. Night jar has been helping me on this too.

I have come to believe the gold wizard is unique is has a lower bellows chamber and then an upper air chamber then the riffle box is clipped on top. It had a lower air hole with an internal peg wood flap to draw air. Then it had 5 holes cut through the upper riffle line of the upper chamber again with a peg wood flap on the inside. So basically you would hear a flap flap noise with each up and down stroke of the leather bellows (bottom flap closes pushes air up...then top flap closes and bottom one draws air in).

However between either the non breathable cloth and/or this air system there was hardly any air coming out above any riffles.

So i made the following mods

* removed upper air chamber flap and drilled more rows of round holes in line with each riffle.

* rebuilt tray (rotted) and added new keens cloth.

I havr tried a few cloths (muslin, reeds) and they all draw some fines into the upper air chamber and some of it falls through to the bellows chamber which is a cow to remove (vacuum). The reeds cloth generates significantly less dirt.

Nightjar suggested the bottom air flap may need a mod too now but its almost impossible to get at because of the upper chamber board.

Given my cloth cant get much finer than reeds i need to look at the valve or air flap now? Obviously removing the top flap and drilling more holes has altered the system but it does actually work beautifully now in that above each riffle the air comes through beautifully and i am finding gold of all sizes!

My worry is after 30 mins of dryblowing in the bush she will be full!

I am thinking maybe i could put light rubber flaps over the upper chamber holes maybe? Which would be a better seal for the bellows chamber and would stop air falling in? Again Nightjar thought this

Cheers guys help needed!

C

Nightjar
25 February 2018 11:49 am

Waz,
Email me the size and how many holes you have in the top layer (board below riffle box) and I'll cut out some rubber insert flaps for you to stop the fines dropping into the bellows below.
Looks like you still have some work to do to find the real bellows type dry blower cloth. (Had my doubts with the Reeds cloth which is for Keene's constant air which is designed to have fines/gold drop through the cloth???)

I realise it would be a pain, but maybe you should silastic the holes in the original cloth and refit, then you would see how your Wizard should work. (Minimal to no dust/fines dropping through the cloth.)

Cheers
Peter

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

G0lddigg@
27 February 2018 09:46 am

hey Waz here's the photos i promised, this material has been sitting outside in the rain and heat behind my shed in QLD for two years and the fabric is still nice and tight, that what i found is important in a fabric you don't want it sagging and getting clumpy when it gets wet, this way you can hose it down and let it dry to make it last alot longer. hopefully the last photo shows how the open weave is breathing.
the riffles were all experimental variants,hope this helps mate. keep us in the loop

1519684862_d.jpg1519684878_2.jpg1519685039_from_behind.jpg

2 users like this post: malri_au, 7.62marksman