You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Redfin
09 November 2014 08:38 am

This morning I took my old technology for a drive in my old 4wd and found some very old gold. 8)
Be happy with what you can afford.

Det used - Whites 6000D, ML SD2000, ML SD 2001, ML SD 2200D, Garrett Infinium. Minelab SDC 2300. Minelab GPZ 7000.
Current Det - Garrett ASD Groundhog. . Minelab GPX 5000. Minelab GPX 4500.

Reeks
09 November 2014 10:10 am

slipped disc wrote:
Reeks wrote:
slipped disc wrote:

Interesting posts. Heatho states that technology has come a long way with VLF. detectors. Not really. VLF is still old platform. It has only been ''tweaked'' over many years. the basic functions of a detector are just that. Not Nuclear Science. It is the processor that is the brains. We use them because that is all there is. Oh well, if every one is happy with the status quo, then that's all you get, and deserve.

Piston engines have been around for 140+ years but we still use them today, old technology yes. Got something better slipped disc?
You can huff n puff that "everyones an idiot for overpaying for old technology" but in all honesty what are the other options?

Technology/smart phones/computers/tv's - yeah they have advanced dramatically, but millions of people use them EVERY DAY OF THERE LIVES.
A detector to find gold and pull tabs? Lucky to be 20,000 serious users Aus wide i'd say.

YEH. jet engines, Rocket engines, rotary engines. even the concept of the jet engine goes back over 2000 years.
you're huffing and puffing, I didn't say ''everyone 's an idiot for overpaying for old technology'' you did -your words. what I said and meant was, if we settle for second best, that's what we get. the main point I make is that the consumer deserves better than old re-hashed technology .

I think you're trolling for a bite, but this fish here sees your old nasty jarvis walker lure my friend.

I can't wait till the new ML machine is out to see you bashing it with all your keystroking might.

Heatho, you got a big nasty bomb for SD? He sure deserves the award!

2 users like this post: Kingsolomon, Heatho

Heatho
09 November 2014 10:14 am

Yeah mate, not a single bit of colour in it, only good for sand paper. smile

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

Twapster
09 November 2014 10:29 am

Ok ill give it a crack.....................I need another sapphire bomb, my VLF is shite for Gold detecting! How people can call a VLF a "Gold" machine beats me. I am not saying it wont find gold, in fact it will ping a nugget quite deep, deeper than a PI even, but it will also be pinging on EVERYTHING ELSE and when you are out in a gold field and your machine is SQUEALING LIKE A STUFFED PIG, oh that super soft tone in between the 100 Quacks in the space of a metre....if you can stand that sort of chatter for more than 15 mins you are a better man than me. And please don't tell me i'm using it wrong. I can not believe that people out there use the term "Gold and VLF" in the same sentence as if it is a useful general purpose Gold prospecting machine. I've heard countless posts discussing Gold and that a VLF will find it, but seriously does anyone go out to trashed and junk filled areas with a VLF all day specifically looking for gold? Id really like to know what machine they are using, and more importantly if they have any hearing left....or are their ears still ringing 3 weeks after their last trip.

Is that enough bash? I feel better already Heatho!

Peter. Love trout fishing, gold prospecting, sapphires,have Highbanker, pans,sieves ,X-terra 70,F1A4,GPX4500. Bring it on!

1 user likes this post: Blind_Freddie

Reddogg_69
09 November 2014 11:22 am

Hi Gang,

The SD 2000's With Woody's Mod's have had me finding gold amongst the likes of 4500's & 5000's... i've out detected those machines on a few of occasions when I was firmly told by the gentleman in question I'd be waisting my time & to their surprise I came away with the goods on three separate outings I think a capable operator will turn up gold if he walks over it. The key is knowing your gear I'm now swinging a GP3500 and I'm certain this machine will serve me as good...

Just have a very calm & relaxed positive approach do your homework set up test patches whenever practical so you know exactly how your machine talks to you!

My big gripe is how much cash I've parted with for my beloved hobby... but now I'm getting some results & we have to remember it is Gold your finding after all...

My Mum used to say Money doesn't grow on trees ya know boy, well she was right it grows in the ground!

Reddogg!

A Gold Mine is a hole in the ground that a Liar owns!?!

Jaros
09 November 2014 12:10 pm

From above "My big gripe is how much cash I've parted with for my beloved hobby... but now I'm getting some results & we have to remember it is Gold your finding after all..."

It's not as expensive as buying a new car but the story is similar. You buy a car you've always wanted and you 'pay' for it, buy a car just to get you around and any price will do.
Who is the happier and for how long???
Jaros

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

Heatho
09 November 2014 12:12 pm

Not bad Twapster, glad you feel better mate.

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

2 users like this post: Jaros, Twapster

washgravel
09 November 2014 01:12 pm

Retirement Stone wrote:

PS. Maybe just maybe technology has reached a ceiling and advances are only by millimetres now. There is always a ceiling for everything.

Just a thought.

Unfortunately the price of advancement does not go up by millimetres......I recall after a certain ML release any advancements in the future will be done via a special port included with that model.....but that did not happen.

Retirement Stone
09 November 2014 02:19 pm

Yeah but selling over priced, under spec. detectors to folk that like spending their days digging holes in 40 degree heat with a million flies attached is like stealing candy from a baby.

Only "real" hardcore prospectors are insane enough to part with the big cash required to enter the game.

When Nugget was conducting the raffles earlier this year I thought it was the perfect crime! Selling tickets to prospectors for a chance to win (find) something! Pure genius!

Prospectors mostly are a few cans short of a 6 pack! Now where's my Minelab stubbie holder?

Last edited by Retirement Stone (09 November 2014 02:21 pm)

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Twapster
09 November 2014 03:59 pm

Reddogg_69 wrote:

Hi Gang,

The SD 2000's With Woody's Mod's have had me finding gold amongst the likes of 4500's & 5000's... i've out detected those machines on a few of occasions when I was firmly told by the gentleman in question I'd be waisting my time & to their surprise I came away with the goods on three separate outings I think a capable operator will turn up gold if he walks over it. The key is knowing your gear I'm now swinging a GP3500 and I'm certain this machine will serve me as good...

Just have a very calm & relaxed positive approach do your homework set up test patches whenever practical so you know exactly how your machine talks to you!

My big gripe is how much cash I've parted with for my beloved hobby... but now I'm getting some results & we have to remember it is Gold your finding after all...

My Mum used to say Money doesn't grow on trees ya know boy, well she was right it grows in the ground!

Reddogg!

Tis why im happy with my modded F1A4, it is much sweeter in the gold fields than the VLF, while I cant discriminate, I can balance out most mineralised soil where the VLF just cant hack.

Peter. Love trout fishing, gold prospecting, sapphires,have Highbanker, pans,sieves ,X-terra 70,F1A4,GPX4500. Bring it on!

2 users like this post: Blind_Freddie, Jaros

Jaros
09 November 2014 04:38 pm

Yes Twapster i agree, these F1A4M2 Pi machines are very good value. Their supply seems to have dwindled a lot now.
big_smile big_smile

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

Jon
09 November 2014 05:09 pm

Yeah Twapster, there are people still using VLF's and finding gold. When I used them I noted the type of ground I was having results in and then sought out similar areas and scenarios. By doing that my find rate jumped instead of going everywhere and anywhere. Not to say a good bit within range anywhere couldn't be found with one, you know what I mean I guess though. Years back I used to run my VLF with the gain too high and sweep too fast. Was noisy. But an old hand showed me one day. He got the machine and buried a nugget and got me to go over it like I would and the ground noise was everywhere, machine squealing and no way would have thought a target was there. He then took it, dropped the gain down from 75% where I had it to about 25%. Im watching thinking "as if your gonna get it down that low". But there it was, a nice discernible signal, softish but one that you would for sure know was a signal, and very little ground noise.
But, there are not as many using VLF's getting good gold as there are Pi users, that's for sure. The PI users are blitzing them in comparison these days.
But before an "Off thread Cop" comes in and pulls me up I better have a bash big_smile I hate the colour of the GPXs, should have stayed with army green.

2 users like this post: Twapster, Ridge Runner

Zuke_Lynzy
09 November 2014 06:14 pm

Do you mean blue like the SDC?

Goldtarget
09 November 2014 06:36 pm

Oh the competition is hotting up. My essay writing skills are a little rusty but I'm trying to gauge the competition... bomb or not is still a saph up for grabs.

2 users like this post: Heatho, Twapster

Jon
10 November 2014 09:49 pm

Actually, gun metal grey would look good Zuke!

Twapster
11 November 2014 11:53 am

Jaros wrote:

Yes Twapster i agree, these F1A4M2 Pi machines are very good value. Their supply seems to have dwindled a lot now.
big_smile big_smile

Price has doubled!

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
11 November 2014 12:57 pm

The basic process of VLF may be the same, but here are some of the things that have changed, improved:

Price - compared to inflation, VLF's are now a fraction of the cost they used to be

Lighter - VLF's are considerably lighter these days

Automatic - anyone want a manual threshold retune, and 3 manual ground balance knobs?? I doubt it

Power Efficiency - old VLF's ran on 6 or more D cells - modern VLFs....well some run off a single 9V!

LCDs - target depth, battery strength, multi notch, target id, etc etc. are all possible due to the addition of LCDs

Signal:noise - compare the sound of a faint signal on an old Minelab Eldorado to an X-Terra 705 or Eureka Gold, in comparison to ground noise and you'll know what I mean

Coils: coils are much thinner, lighter, less prone to knock sensitivity, and much more consistent these days

As for detector bashing:

I think all detectors have good and bad points, but one detector I really didn't like was: Garrett Infinium. Heavy, bad scratchy audio, random false signals, horrible headphones, flimsy lower shaft, I could go on. In fact the only 2 good points were the screw on battery door, and the rubbery pots.

Agent for Minelab, Nugget Finder, Nokta & Makro, Quest, Detech, SteelPhase - Phase Technical Website

2 users like this post: Big Nugget, Ridge Runner

Goldtarget
11 November 2014 06:17 pm

Haha PT I thought you were going to skate through without having a bash then you gave up the fini. Respect.

Goldtarget
11 November 2014 06:58 pm

OK let's have a general bash...the causal effect of detectors.. It all starts with research, and the techno mumbo jumbo advertising that barely tells you how the bloody thing is meant to work but clearly highlights is the newest best Deepest most advanced detector in its class and has totally been through a rigorous R&D process that none of the previous models has ever been subjected to and where less is more and more is better depending on if something has been added or taken away.
The comes the name dropping of any number of people and the brilliant innovation they have brought to the machine, only thing is how do we really know, who also use technical terms and diagrams and explanations that only those that understand wizardry can invoke a sense of understanding about and then that opens the can of worms about who did what exactly and at the end of the day is only about if it beeps you might be inclined to dig it. Asking questions like how well does it handle mineralization and how deep does it detect leads to answers you need to email to your mate that has a reasonable grasp of photon and quantum physics to translate, when you would accept answers like pretty good and around 10-12 inches. The your silly enough to ask a question like how does detector X stand up against detector Y, and suddenly you've created an argument that can never truly be resolved.
So I vain hope you decide on the type and model and start to look for one. Somehow the budget you began with its never enough, the snake oil salesman pop up at every turn and the dealers are either too busy or not convinced you've been saturated by enough options and out comes alot of pre programmed responses. Noone can really say for certain what sort of after sales service you are likely to get because God forbid you ask that question you'll hear about they guy who had his delivered by a Rolls Royse and has"never had a problem" right down to the other end where the guy "only got mine 3 months later than promised and now it has issues that haven't been resolved 2 years later".
So after getting the machine and going through the is it me, is it the machine phase, you'll spend countless hours out swinging around a probably over priced machine in weather you wouldn't take your dog for a walk in be it too hot or too cold dreaming of all the great finds that lay just within your detectors range only to find that human beings have deposited countless items that every time they pass Underneath your coil your forced into a paradigm of dig or not, then swinging a pick countless fruitless times for the next FUGGET and realizing you paid money and gave up your free time to do it.
Every time you happen up someone who knows you own and use one chances are they will quiz you about how much your finding our are waiting to recall some great story about how someone else's luck turned, and in the event you are doing well is like joining a secret society on who you can tell lest someone starts working your patch. And that's not to mention how your wife or partner feels about all these escapades into the wilderness in search of lost treasures and undug ground.....To be continued. .....

7 users like this post: Big Nugget, silver, Blind_Freddie, stoyve, LC76, jamie, Retirement Stone

Goldtarget
12 November 2014 07:01 am

So in search of how to use it better you join a detecting Club or looking at YouTube videos, and slowly begin to think that everyone else in the world really is doing better than you because the persistent thought goes through your mind that if this gold is what I'm being shown what sort of gold are they getting I'm not being told about? After a bit of time you decide to turn your hand to geology only to end up less a geologist and more the recluse, studying ancient maps and topography, hiding out at the local library combing for that tidbit of info that will turn the tiddlers into the retirement nugget. You drive through beautiful towns and wilderness to get to ground that is harsh and unforgiving, and if the Bush has been burnt recently so the better!

As you pull out the detector your studying the skies for distant weather or planes, despite all the grandiose cutting edge technology meant to be packed into the machine, and pull out a downloaded page full of the best settings in some vain hope that the person that published them actually knew what they were doing. If it's winter your worried about the rain (no water proofing) and if it's hot you can't get the headphones on and have at least 1 layer of clothing too many on whilst attempting to snake dodge. The ground is either hard as a rock or sticking to the pick. Your not sure if you put the hi vis jacket on in case there's a hunter around our you get lost or fall down a mine shaft, or leave it off in favour of the camo in case today is the day for the big gold and some other sneaky bloke is out there using you as his guide to gold.

You pull out the detector and like an airplane pilot going through a pre flight check make sure everything is working and set, kit up like a sherpa, and start swinging wishing for a better back. Then the solo detecting mind games really start. If your getting nothing it's a problem, if your getting junk it's a problem, if you get gold it's a problem. All that digging and bending, sweat in your eyes, Flys, hole slap, and walking. Which coil to use.... Is anyone watching? Oh and the days when your out of time and the last target out is shiny! Finally you decide to pack up and return to the normal world and mostly they don't care for your stories, they don't understand your Hunter gatherer instinct. Even the bloke who buys the hard won treasure is less interested about how hard won it was and more interested in getting it for the best price, and you feel a little bit cheap accepting his offer. You have every reason to give the game away and yet you find THE coil you must buy, dream of holidays to go to THAT place or decide on THAT machine to do it all again. Your secretly in love with it but that bloody detector changes everything, like a sweet siren whispering nonsense into your mind. She has a hold on you and you just can't bear to admit how far down the (gold) rabbit hole she has yet to take you.

9 users like this post: LC76, Tathradj, Jaros, Oldfella, jamie, dazza513, Retirement Stone, dwt, Ridge Runner

BSellin
17 November 2014 03:27 pm

Rangertell.

Nuff said.

Garrett Ace 250 // Garret Pro Pointer // variety of spades and cutting tools and my lucky screwdriver. smile wink

Jon
17 November 2014 05:30 pm

Rangertell lol I know a bloke who brought one of those. What a goose. Its a wonder they don't come with a pair of those Xray Spec's you used to see advertised on the back of comic books, then you could look through the ground and see the gold. Come to think of it, the Rangertell should be advertised there as well. lol

Eurekaman
17 November 2014 08:43 pm

Goldpick wrote:

Micronta 4003, it was the first metal detector I ever owned as a teeny bopper, got be the worst detector I've had the displeasure of owning. I think the fact that it had a lot of silver knobs, a red button on the handle, and a fancy needle display that had me hooked, couldn't really afford much else back then

The shaft was permanently collapsible, the coil sounded off on the slightest bump, and I nearly permanently lost my Dad's wedding ring, which was completely undetectable under 2- 3" of bark in the garden. Good for detecting rebar though. big_smile

I used to dream of owning an xt17000 or a goldmaster 2, the latest and greatest detectors of that time.

Here she is, what a beauty (not my pic)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 144026.jpg.

Lol I had one of those, damn brings back
Memories, BAD Memories?
Thank god for detectors like AT PRO
Or the CTX3030, etc... big_smile
EM

Love The Hobby...Ozzy Metal Detecting FB

Moneybox
30 November 2014 06:46 am

Come on guys this is meant to be "Bash a detector" thread mad You've all got too much love for your machines to be here....

I just bought the SDC2300 on it's reputation for finding small gold. I hope it lives up to it because first impressions are all bad. Perhaps we're spoiled by first buying the Garrett ATX and the White's GMT.

We've only just unpacked it which I must say is easy as it comes complete. The first time we turned it on it was embarrassing to say the least. We were on a public beach with a machine that would do nothing but scream it's brains out. It does and EMI scan on startup so there's nothing we could do there. We hit the ground balance button but unlike other machines it doesn't seem to need to be pumped up and down but we tried. We tried all settings and ended on Salt-1 because that was as quiet as we could get. We set the threshold as low as it would go but we never really found a threshold at all. All up we spent about 30 minutes and gave up.

Next attempt we were more careful. We went to the beach at night while it was raining so not too many about. I gave up after a few minutes and left Sandra to it. I went one way with the ATX and she went the other.

Third attempt was last night on a busy beach at Waikiki that where we were snorkling earlier in the day. It was dark apart from street lighting and there was intermittent rain. Still there were a few people about and a few cars stopped at the sight of the headlamps and LED's roaming the beach. This time we used headphones but that was not good. It's not so bad when the detector is just carrying on for all to here but with the headphones on it's unbearable.

Sandra just threw it back in the boot and came and shared the ATX. One digging and one detecting. We found a few coins and a 50mm gold earring. Hopefully it's real gold but can't tell for now.

All in all bringing an SDC2300 to Hawaii was a waste of time, energy and money sad

Phil, Sandra & Taz - GPX4500's, SDC2300's, White's Goldmaster GMT, Equinox 800, pans, sieves and more in a 4WD motorhome.

Salutations
30 November 2014 08:36 am

From my readings it very much sound like the SDC is a "gold detector", i have seen no real great reviews when it comes to beach hunting, you will fare much better in WA!