Quick build 'Blue Bowl'

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow GM! That is one nice collection of gold my friend. Absolutely stunning to see.

Off topic: I'll post a slightly more comprehensive thread on that manual hand pump for everyone tomorrow.

Nice to see that Bowl back looking schmick and working nicely Brad!
Cheers,
Shauno.

I put 2 coats of abrasion resistant primer then a coat of "Bradken Blue" final coat, should last a while as the paint is used on excavator bkts.
Hey GM what machine (Excavator) do you run?
My Nephew was working on a lease up in the Georgetown area and reckons they where losing fine gold out of the end of the sluices. Love to do what you are doing, got close, had a small claim yrs back.
Cheers
Brad...

Hey Brad,
Hitachi UhO83 mate,
she's an old gal, but wow she gives me everything I ask....
we had a drama last year, blowing up an engine, which stopped us in our tracks, but we are nearlly ready to get back into it!

As for losing gold, I sorta rely on a formula developed by a fellow miner and (better than me) business man up here.....
He, by formulae, worked out that his loss was 12%, so I use that figure.....

What we try to do, is reduce that 12%....
All miners find gold, but how much do they leave behind or lose over the end?

Gold Digger today mentioned about a Knudsen at the end of his trommel..that would be in place to reduce that 12%...

12% ..... doesnt sound much eh? Last cut we did, 13.6 ounces...spot....around $22,000....12% nearly $3000....over the end of the sluice..gooone!!!

adamaus said:
im making my blue bowl now well its yellow lol will post a pic when she is done :)

Adam, go for any other color than yellow, how will you see the gold! Green or Blue work best, its all about the contrast!

TenOunce Tone said:
adamaus said:
im making my blue bowl now well its yellow lol will post a pic when she is done :)

Adam, go for any other color than yellow, how will you see the gold! Green or Blue work best, its all about the contrast!

thanks for the reply i didnt even think of the color when picking up the bowl (had my twins screaming in my ear when i was in bunnings... :8 ) im going to start again pitty tho it was nearly finished ...... silly error on my behalf :8

Just thinking out aloud here, I don't know how old your twins are, BUT... I have seen some green colored black board/chalk board paint, it is a little rough in texture when dry but a thin coat may do the trick to give you the contrast and I can't say it will effect the operation of the Blue Bowl. You can pick it up for about $10 - 15 for a small tin, if it does not work, you can then make your twins a chalk board as a "bonus brownie points with the cheese and kisses" project :)

I wouldnt mind getting the girls in to prospecting when there a little older there in there terrible 2's at the moment but my wife when she is using the ace 350 if she hears a tone she starts digging like a mad woman ;) im glad she is getting into this hobby with me also she wants me to buy a gpx 5000 but i said to her why don't we wait until we make our money back from the ace but she is keen so that is good thing

and thanks for the ideas

My blue bowl is just about ready to go. Need advice on what size recirculating pump to get.
Cheers Dozer :)

nice one, ive seen a few people talk about making these out of a cake tin with the centre already removed but i can make one of these thanks mate

i noticed you have the hose pointing right so the water spins anticlockwise

wont that confuse the gold ? ;p)

feels correct to me to make it spin clockwise like the water when it goes down the plughole

i remember someone advertising these in magazines 30 years ago , but they were black plastic then and cost about $ 69 for the whole kit . i tried making one myself then but my bilge pump was too small and i only had silica dust in my bowl , not that other yellow stuff ;)

nice work there . pardon me being a smart azz , its the only kind of humour i can afford on my budget :cool:

Dozer, the one that GM has has made just use the garden hose, so whatever you can get that gets out about 8 - 9 lpm i guess, You don't want a massive flow, just enough to move the black sands and other unwanted material out the bowl, remember, this bowl is designed for the concentrates, Black sand and gold or very light gravels, It is not designed to move large rocks etc, its a finishing bowl, you can find heaps of vids on Utube etc on the use.

Thanks TenOunce, I have tried it with the hose connected and it works well. I was thinking by recirculating I could save on water.

TenOunce Tone said:
Just thinking out aloud here, I don't know how old your twins are, BUT... I have seen some green colored black board/chalk board paint, it is a little rough in texture when dry but a thin coat may do the trick to give you the contrast and I can't say it will effect the operation of the Blue Bowl. You can pick it up for about $10 - 15 for a small tin, if it does not work, you can then make your twins a chalk board as a "bonus brownie points with the cheese and kisses" project :)

Actually, if makin a chalk board for the kids anyways you could always make two and use one as a miller table ;)

Latest posts