Jupiter Creek / Echunga SA books and maps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Rick
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for reading

Absolute Newbie , living in the Adelaide Hills

Any advice on books / maps that can assist me in learning from scratch and fossicking the Jupiter Creek and Echunga
areas would be greatly appreciated , in addition info on Tarcoola ? This forum has been fantastic and a thread response by
( Loamer ) had me reading some old SA archives about Gold mining in Tarcoola in the early 1900,s .

Cheers

Rick

? " Life is to short to drink bad wine "

Hi Rick

I also live in Adelaide and have done a lot of research on Jupiter Creek, Echunga and lots of other sites. In my opinion the best research resources on this subject can be found on the DMITRE website located at http://www.minerals.dmitre.sa.gov.au . Once you have browsed to the site click on the SARIG link:
1415261728_sarig.jpg

SARIG is a geo-spacial database with a comprehensive catalogue of South Australia's past, present and future mining activities. It is pretty cool, you can download old historical documents or filter the data by different commodities. It has drill hole analysis, gravity and magnetic maps of most of South Australia and a host of other useful information. It is an excellent starting point for those new to prospecting.

All the best

Rick

Cheers Rick

Fantastic information , I can see many more Internet hours ahead.

Good luck

Rick

Gday Stuart

Spent a few hours there couple of days ago , no luck for me on that day very tough gig there mate but have found gold on occasions , did have a couple of hours to do a bit of testing of my SDC with a fellow who was wandering around the bottom car park who had just picked up his new GPZ 7000 which was good , for those interested the GPZ did hit the .2 gm flat test piece in mineralised soil at about 5 inches as did the SDC and both machines hit a lead slug gun pellet slightly deeper , I was impressed with the GPZ on small gold as was its owner . I do get down there quite a bit Stuart, so shoot us a PM if you want to go for a walk one day , there are a couple of great forum members who also frequent JC.

Cheers

Bacchus said:
Gday Stuart

Spent a few hours there couple of days ago , no luck for me on that day very tough gig there mate but have found gold on occasions , did have a couple of hours to do a bit of testing of my SDC with a fellow who was wandering around the bottom car park who had just picked up his new GPZ 7000 which was good , for those interested the GPZ did hit the .2 gm flat test piece in mineralised soil at about 5 inches as did the SDC and both machines hit a lead slug gun pellet slightly deeper , I was impressed with the GPZ on small gold as was its owner . I do get down there quite a bit Stuart, so shoot us a PM if you want to go for a walk one day , there are a couple of great forum members who also frequent JC.

Cheers

Hey how do you PM? Sorry a little green. Is there anywhere to set up a a sluice/ highbanker? I don't have a detector yet but in the future I plan on it. Heard of gold on onkaparinga river?

Reckon you may need 10 posts to PM Stuart , best read the relevant state regulations regarding Highbankers in SA , this site has each state regs re fossicking posted as a sticky , you would need to have access to private property as far as I know around onkaparinga , most of the land is SA water and no go , probably getting hold of a detector and having a walk around JC or Mt Crawfofd would be a good start

Cheers

Are people generally ok about the idea of prospecting on there land? I guess it's always worth a try.

Stuart1989 said:
Bacchus said:
Gday Stuart

Cheers

Hey how do you PM? Sorry a little green. Is there anywhere to set up a a sluice/ highbanker? I don't have a detector yet but in the future I plan on it. Heard of gold on onkaparinga river?

What are those detectors worth? Any chance of second hand?

Hi Bacchus, I was the one doing the tests with the zed 7000. Just found two nuggets on conglomerate at echunga if your up that way in the next couple of weeks show you the spot c if your sdc can find any thing the zed missed if you are interested.

Gday Mick

Sorry missed your post mate , was down Jupiter Creek Sunday and saw your van but could not find you , glad the Z is going well will send you a PM to try and get together.

cheers

Looks like I cant shoot you a PM until you get your 10 posts up , plenty of time on my hands at the moment so when you check this thread let me know when you are heading out and I will meet you down there , I will give Adrian a message , if he can meet up we might have to chuck a few snags on the BBQ in the carpark before heading out.

cheers

Hi Bacchus,

I'll be heading to Jupiter creek Friday If you want I'll meet you there and I'll tell you the spot.

No worries Mick , Adrian is away for a week so will meet you down the bottom about 9 am if that's good with you

Cheers

Hi Guys Im off to Jupiter creek tomorrow been reviewing the maps. So i see how my luck goes . Fingers Crossed.
The ZakMan

Gday Stuart

No luck today for me today just plenty of lead shot , Mick was still at it when I left so don't know how he ended up , great weather for a walk around but no yellow

Cheers