Unidentified freshwater fish

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,

I bought a new boat recently and have been enjoying a few fishing/camping trips in the Big River arm of Lake Eildon (Victoria) before it gets too snakey. Been camping in a little inlet and at night when shining a torch into the water my mate and I have seen a few fish that ive never seen before.

They are bright orange like a goldfish, some have black and white blotches along their back directly below the fin on their back (dorsal fin??). About 6-10 inches long but unlike goldfish, they are fairly sleek and incredibly fast. Only ever see one at a time so they don't appear to school. We see heaps of European carp as well and these are not carp. We have also seen barred galaxias and its not them either. Just wondering if anyone knows what they are from the description. It would be pretty cool if we've stumbled across an undiscovered species or one that is thought to be long extinct. I cant post links yet so even if I found a photo (which I haven't been able to) on the net I cant yet show you.

Hoping to get a photo one night. I found a website where you can input characteristics of freshwater fish and as soon as you input orange all it comes up with is barred galaxia.

Im very interested to hear of similar sightings or a positive ID.

By the way, a little fishing report up to last weekend, plenty of trout jumping but not eating. Trying scrubbies, maggots, variety of lures and wet and dry flies, spinning and trolling.

Cheers, Doug

Sounds a lot like a Slipery (river blackfish) in spawning colours. I seen one in the upper Murray that was quite crimson in colour, but this only happens when they're spawning. They usually look like a blotchy skinny looking trout. Protected species up here in NSW.

Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Sounds a lot like a Slipery (river blackfish) in spawning colours. I seen one in the upper Murray that was quite crimson in colour, but this only happens when they're spawning. They usually look like a blotchy skinny looking trout. Protected species up here in NSW.

Wal.
I think Wal is right. I get up Big River a couple of times a year and I always see black fish they are in abundance. Would be interested to know if any one on the forum knows the best way to cook them up.

Most guys treat them the same as trout, and they cook up about the same. Not sure about the regs in VIC but they are now protected in NSW. I smoked some up before they were protected years ago and they're excellent done that way.

Wal.

Thanks for your replies but yeah dunno guys, a bit fatter looking than both of those according to a google images search not that that is very accurate. However according to Wikipedia the river blackfish is strongly nocturnal which fits the description. Only thing missing is the dorsal fin that extends most of the way along the back. In that way it probably is a bit closer to the Australian Grayling. Got me buggered. DEPI website doesn't have a positive match. I'll have to have a camera ready next time and post a pic. Mystery fish indeed.

Cheers

Hi Ryan27

Have you ever seen them bright orange? I mean goldfish orange. Good to know they eat well too (Thanks Wal).

Doug

Perhaps you could set up one of those night security cameras aimed at the water and set for movie if motion occurs,... that way you may catch a video of them,.. just not sure if those cameras react in that way when aimed towards the water ?,... could work at daytime as well !

Could be Koi
1414927577_screenshot_2014-11-02-22-25-37.jpg

duggy said:
Hi Ryan27

Have you ever seen them bright orange? I mean goldfish orange. Good to know they eat well too (Thanks Wal).

Doug
I haven't seen them that colour. They could be spawning like Wal said, I generally get up to Big River around Jan through to April. The water levels are down a bit and the trout hang in the deeper holes during the hotter weather. Feb/Mar are my favourite months up there. I use Crickets for bait and generally the trout can't resist them if you are in the right spot.

Noncents- the colouration of the kawarimono looks right. My mate who usually goes away with me works at an aquarium shop. Id think he would know a koi if he saw one- i'll put it to him. I just don't remember seeing the barbels on the corners of the mouth. Cheers for the input.

And Ryan, thanks for the tips. Never thought of crickets. I especially love fly fishing and tying so ill be sure to tie up some cricket patterns.

duggy said:
Noncents- the colouration of the kawarimono looks right. My mate who usually goes away with me works at an aquarium shop. Id think he would know a koi if he saw one- i'll put it to him. I just don't remember seeing the barbels on the corners of the mouth. Cheers for the input.

And Ryan, thanks for the tips. Never thought of crickets. I especially love fly fishing and tying so ill be sure to tie up some cricket patterns.
Hi Duggy,
The best way to present the bait is thread your line through a needle and insert the needle through the chest plate of the cricket. Tie a small hook on and your set .This will keep the bait alive for a long time. You will have to stalk the pool and position yourself so you won't be detected by the trout. Simply let your line out and let the bait float naturally with the current.
You may want to grab a couple of cold cans with you also :)

Cheers Ryan27, I wouldn't have had a clue how to present a cricket. Learned something today. And yes, a few coldies helps.

Big Nugget, you da man. Im 99% sure that's it. Hey your just over the hill from me. Im in Marysville.

if its a roach, its not good for anything
they should be put in the same bucket as the carp, and berried under the roses

They look like a x between a Redfin and a Goldfish. I hope they have a Native predator to keep their numbers in check.

Ryan27 said:
They look like a x between a Redfin and a Goldfish. I hope they have a Native predator to keep their numbers in check.

Yeah don't they. We see plenty of fish just cruising around while we are drifting and flicking a lure or fly (unfortunately they don't seem to like our lures or flies). Some look like young cod, so hopefully they grow up to eat 'em. Look a bit big for a yellowbelly to swallow. Could be wrong though.

duggy said:
Ryan27 said:

Yeah don't they. We see plenty of fish just cruising around while we are drifting and flicking a lure or fly (unfortunately they don't seem to like our lures or flies). Some look like young cod, so hopefully they grow up to eat 'em. Look a bit big for a yellowbelly to swallow. Could be wrong though.

Ive not seen one of those either but reckon a "yella" of this size would have no problem devouring it! :D
1414993830_rog_50cm_yella_belly.jpg

(mate caught it in the Burrendong fishing comp earlier in the year), but was beaten by 17cm (670mm fish won it!).
Cheers,
Billy

Latest posts