A Gpx ripoff?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear - these have been around for awhile in various dress ups. This isn't the first discussion on these particular ones either. The GFX-7000 appears to be dumb luck as it was back in August last time they were brought up on this forum. Well before talk of the GPZ-7000? Maybe the Chinese do know more? Maybe Minelab's Malaysian factory is selling secrets to them? Maybe there is a spy in the Adelaide offices? Oh the conspiracy :eek:
From memory I think they were previously found to be a 9.6khz VLF - not even Pulse so that's good buying for a cheap, nasty VLF :rolleyes: :D

You blokes should just go & buy one then you will know exactly what you are getting + you can give us poor simple, dumb folk a comprehensive expert run down on them! ;)

I am not affiliated to Minelab & don't own a GPX at the moment but do trust people that have seen these things in action or fakes of similar ilk. That is enough for me. Some are reported to work ok as a cheap VLF, not $2000-3000 good though, & I have seen reports of them not working at all - hence the remark that they wouldn't pick up a horseshoe.
There would be no concern of me paying too much for a similar deal cause I wouldn't touch one of these things with your money!

Why do you blokes who seem to seek the easy cheap way out always bring up hitting sensitive Minelab nerves etc. My only intention is to try & prevent someone from doing their dough, which they will if they go down this track! If it was a fake/replica/rip off Whites, Garrett, Fisher etc. I would bring that to peoples attention too.

I have no doubt there are Engineers that could possibly replicate a GPX series detector whether Chinese, Japenese or wobbly knees but:
a) haven't to date seen any report/proof of this occuring
b) how do they get their hands on the required software - componentry is one thing
c) it is illegal :eek:

Quack Quack :lol:

Hi. Guys. It's interesting reading the Ebay ad. The first part of his desciption contains poor grammer, like he's not good at our language. But when he gets to the 1 and 2 points suddenly it's word perfect. In other words, he's copied the ML techs description word for word. Dat ulone shud shyne a big red lite in yer face!!! :D

slipped disc said:
What amazes me is the fact that people that buy this junk, can be that nave or ............. 8)
I believe there's two types of people in the world when it comes to buying anything.
First type, those that will pay a price for a quality item because they know what they will get for their money, this includes people who purchase within their budget and accept that item for what it is.
Second type, those people that always look for a cheaper alternative and expect the same performance or result from it, then wonder why it's different in some way.
Personally I think if you want a Minelab GPX5000 then spend the money, if you want a cheap Chinese copy then buy one but don't buy the cheap knock off hoping it'll be as good as ya mates GPX5k.
I can't afford or justify a GPX5k so I'm happy with my MXT Pro and accept it for what it is.
Just my opinion of course ;)

Well said PP, too many people want a Rolls Royce for the price of a VW.
It is not going to happen.
You get what you pay for.

Very often I pay more for big ticket items because I buy locally, and can look the seller in the eye.

It is very unlikely that someone that frequents this or other prospecting forums would be tempted to buy a known Chinese import. The people targeted are those that are considering getting into prospecting without any research into the pitfalls. These same people may not even be aware that they have not got what they have paid for even after using the machine.

I agree that's who they're trying to target but seriously if someone is going to drop 2-3K on an item they haven't researched in a new hobby they don't know much about.............well, they've got more dollars then cents :rolleyes:

Edit: maybe people are really that gullible and it's a shame scum prey on them.

Curiosity got the better of me so I messaged the seller asking if its a VLF or PI, and got the following response;

"Dear (....),

Hello, it's Pulse Induction. the function same as Minelab.
also have ground balance tracking.
it can working same as minelab .
- mister-zaga"

Translation :p - "Not a VLF and definitely a PI machine, same as minelab"

Sure they are just claims, from the outside looking in, but it does make one ponder considering global manufacturing today.

Take heavy equipment for instance, the wheel loaders coming out of china are manufactured from SDLG (Volvo) components.

Cummins powered, ZF trans. The Prospectors in QLD & WA and they love em. They are $65K for an 18T loader. Genuine SDLG is $130K+.

They are the same machine, component wise, different assembler.

This seems to be the trend coming out of china nowadays, thus my intrigue in product similarity with the detectors.

Happy hunting.. QUACK QUACK :p :cool:

Yeah & I'd really believe him as he is selling illegally using Minelab trademarks (DVT, MPS & SETA) for a start & if indeed it is the first actual copy to come out of China, & not the usual VLF's dressed up to look like a GPX, then he is illegally selling a copy of Minelabs patents.
He'd be telling you the truth for sure...... very trustworthy character.
I give up :rolleyes:

Cmon mbasko,

Next thing you will be telling me my $35 Bali Rollex is not as good as the real deal? :rolleyes:

A fool and his money are easily parted! ;)

slipped disc said:
Hey, a plastic Rolex, must be value ! :p

Thanks slipped disc for correcting my Rolex spelling indiscretion, I bought the chinese version of spell check! :/

Hahaha. never realised. that's the way I spell it. never thought about it. I had a tag huer/heur ? lasted a week. looked great but useless. the band was worth more. :p

LMAO. :cool:

I feel enlightened by the stimulating intelligent fact based arguments.

Thank you for your input.

Have a great day ;)

Big Nugget said:
LMAO. :cool:

I feel enlightened by the stimulating intelligent fact based arguments.

Thank you for your input.

Have a great day ;)

All Matt is trying to do is stop some poor bugger throwing away a few grand on a detector that is junk and is very very unlikely to find Gold. A lot of people read these posts and if Matt can stop just 1 person being ripped off then he deserves to be thanked for it.

I got some socks the other day that were imported from China, brand new with holes already in them, awesome I thought, those Chinese think of everything. :mad:

Don't buy Chinese socks either......

Well maybe you need this one.
When only the best will do.

not...

Forgive me members for I have sinned....................

I once purchased not one but two guitars on Ebay when my boys first started playing. They were both at a considerable discount to any retail store that I could Google. Both were intended for Christmas presents, I am the best dad ever and I saved quite a few bucks.

The first one was a Gretch Silver Sparkle, around $600 off memory. Photos looked amazing on Ebay. When the Guitar arrived, it looked ok but had a green tinge to the sparkle finish and sounded like absolute crap, worse than our first $250 no name brand Electric Guitar. Then I googled about guitars, who would have thought there are people in China that replicate guitars to almost perfect copies!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

The second one arrived a few days later, an Epiphone Black Beauty. It truly was a beautiful Guitar and sounded pretty good although the middle tone control dial did not seem to do anything. My suspicions started again. I took the guitar down to the local Music shop and asked if they could verify, real or fake. What a moral dilemma, buying a guitar online elsewhere, then asking for help from the local business when I m in trouble, I am going to hell for sure, if I wasn't already! All looked good to the workshop until the opened up the back covers and looked at the electronics. Wrong pots, wrong wire colours and gauge, and enough heat glue to hold together a small house. He said it is the best fake he has seen and the Chinese are getting better at it.

I was forceful enough to get refunds on both guitars. Since then we go back to that shop and have bought a $1300 Les Paul Studio (second hand) and a $2000 Cole Clark, although I could have got them for half that price on Ebay ;) Sales and Service, what price can you put on that.

The moral to my story:

1. If you want to look like one of the cool kids on the Gold fields buy a cheap, almost identical "replica"

2. If you want to find Gold (and look good) buy the genuine item from a reputable dealer.

3. And lastly don't try and be a rock star on a one man bands budget.

Save yourself the pain and hassles.

Cheers

Heatho said:
I got some socks the other day that were imported from China, brand new with holes already in them, awesome I thought, those Chinese think of everything. :mad:

Don't buy Chinese socks either......

Maybe it's the new fashion trend, like those pre-ripped jeans the shops sell now? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts