A Gpx ripoff?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cheap VLF dressed up to look similar to a GPX. Illegally using Minelab trademarks in description too - MPS, DVT & SETA.
STEER CLEAR!

Yes that makes sense, at least they haven't written minelab all over it this time :eek:

Regards Daryl

If it is a VLF and not a Minelab clone Paypal would more than likely give a refund due to a false description. It would be interesting to see if it claims improvements over the GPX5000 that end up appearing on the new Minelab.

Magilla said:
It would be interesting to see if it claims improvements over the GPX5000 that end up appearing on the new Minelab.

I sincerely doubt that these machines would have any improvement over a GPX5000 that will end up on the new machine :rolleyes: . In fact I would be surprised if they work any better than a $50 Tandy VLF!

It appears they have worked out they can't flog these rip offs as "GPX 5000's" so they have given them a paint job & new name to dodge copyright etc. issues in an effort to sell them. Some of these rip off's were reported to not even be capable of picking up a horseshoe at close range!

Even if they were exact clones I doubt too many would pay $3000 for a detector that has no warranty or way to get it fixed.

Magilla said:
Even if they were exact clones I doubt too many would pay $3000 for a detector that has no warranty or way to get it fixed.
There have been no reported exact clones ever coming out of China - they are all simple, fake, rip offs that do not work to anywhere near a GPX standard.
The only similiarities are cosmetic - do not be fooled into thinking you can get a cheap chinese GPX that will offer the same performance!! IT WON'T HAPPEN & I REPEAT - STEER CLEAR!!

mbasko said:
Magilla said:
There have been no reported exact clones ever coming out of China - they are all simple, fake, rip offs that do not work to anywhere near a GPX standard.
The only similiarities are cosmetic - do not be fooled into thinking you can get a cheap chinese GPX that will offer the same performance!! IT WON'T HAPPEN & I REPEAT - STEER CLEAR!!

I would like to think you are correct in thinking it will never happen but if other industries are anything to go by it is just a matter of time.

Sending your operation over to Asia looks good on paper but once you do it opens up a Pandora's Box.

perhaps minelab manufacture their components in China just like Toyota, GM, Mazda, Apple etc etc?

The downside to cheap component manufacturing in China is that the Chinese then re-sell the manufacturers product out the back door.

Sometimes its exactly the same, sometimes its similar.

Bit hard to comment though without seeing and using one.

But if it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it is a duck :p :cool:

It not surprise me at all if some of the better knock off's worked perfectly, some Chinese smartphones I've seen recently were very well made.
I wouldn't risk $3k to find out though!

Trust me - people in the industry have purchased these Chinese units to test. One prominent trainer/retailer uses one as a demo when conducting training. They aren't even PI technology but cheap VLF's in a dressed up box so right from the word go are not going to work perfectly or have anywhere near the same performance as a GPX.

It is easy to see why people get ripped off by these scams!

I think it is more the data in the chip , programmed and developed by minelab , that is the '' magic wand''.
What amazes me is the fact that people that buy this junk, can be that nave or ............. 8)

mbasko said:
Well go ahead & spend your money on one - it will make you quack alright :lol:
Whats that saying about fools & their money............... :rolleyes:

LOL, touched a sensitive minelab nerve.

Have you used one?

or is it just your humble opinion?

suppose i'd be quacking too if I spent $7G on something I could get for $2G.

:cool: :cool:

slipped disc said:
I think it is more the data in the chip , programmed and developed by minelab , that is the '' magic wand''.
What amazes me is the fact that people that buy this junk, can be that nave or ............. 8)

A chip is a microprocessor, it doesnt hold data.

it receives, organizes and sends commands across the motherboard.....input, output.

Its hard to take the word of those who think they know what they are talking about.

Its not the 1980's anymore, the chinese are brilliant at the copy game and in most cases, its the same components anyway as Big Nugget says.

Only natural for minelab to protect their own interests and have everyone believe they arent as good.

I dont know because i have never tested one, but im always suss when others say they cant pick up a horseshoe???
They either work for Minelab, or will never admit they paid too much for the same deal

Regards

Interesting post. thanx for the correction. I assume- from this, that a qualified engineer can replicate a gpx 5000 entirely ?
this has been my argument also. all the detectors made in the good ol U.S.A. probably aren't. the components can all be scoured quite cheaply. detectors are NOT Nuclear Physics.

Thats true slipped, the chip is a main component as you pointed out but most of them are on-sold by the big boys in Silicon Valley (Intel, AMD etc)

Minelab dont make their own chips, they are merely involved in the engineering of its function within the detector.

Anyone can do this if they are as smart which I dont doubt the Chinese are.

Im not saying I condone it, its just thats its a very real possibility.

Lets face it, western world manufacturing is done and dusted.....we cant compete anymore!

My Minelab 705 is manufactured in Malaysia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts