Teknetics Eurotek Pro hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning (on the way to work via a 20km detour!) I visited a playground in the northern suburbs more noted for syringes than coin drops.
Surprised at what I found would be a good description.

It is the perfect environment for junk discrimination. Turned off everything below 55 which allows all of the coin range, plus some junk like foil and pull tabs. With the ETP the pull tabs show the same numbers as 5 to 20 cents (55 to 62) but have a very distinctive crisp sharp mid tone, whereas the coins are a bit more subdued in tone.
With ferrous turned off, the read out still shows IRON at top left of screen. Normally this just blinks on the screen, at this park it was almost permanently showing up, so it would have been a nightmare with an all metal mode like my GMZ.

The first signal was a 77 and turned up a $2.00 coin. The very next sweep forward and I had multiple targets in a small area. A scan through the bark with the Pro Pointer and another $2.00.......and a 1964 penny! (in good nick too, clearly a recent drop)...... and another $2.00...and then another 1964 penny!! WTF?....... and another $2.00....... but on closer inspection of the third $2.00 in this group (it looked odd) it turned out to be a 1997 british pound.......checked my bumbag...the other two were british pounds as well, a 1993 and a 2001!!.

Apologies for the photo quality.... no excuses.... just not my strong point :lol:

1416967961_salisbury1.jpg

1416967961_salisbury2.jpg

1416967961_salisbury3.jpg

1416967961_salisbury4.jpg

I was about to walk away... another two signals turned up a 10 cent and an aussie dollar. This is hard work on the back you know!

Finishing off the rest of the area turned up another $9.25, some junk jewellery, along with a sunbaker Lego bike and two marbles.

1416967999_salisbury_park.jpg

1416967999_salisbury5.jpg

What the story is with 3 one pound coins and two 1964 aust pennies in one drop I don't know. But it makes for curious thoughts.

TT

strange but good. I've never seen pennies come out of the ground that neat.
Almost as if someone was playing 2 up recently and had to drop them and run.
Now you just need to find some lego men for the bike.

Robert Le Mal said:
strange but good. I've never seen pennies come out of the ground that neat.
Almost as if someone was playing 2 up recently and had to drop them and run.
Now you just need to find some lego men for the bike.

my thoughts exactly!.....or thinking some kid has swiped coins from the old man and lost them in the bark, or a visitor from England has grabbed at least two pennies while here and lost them in the quicksand of the playground.

Don't care..... mine. :lol:

You didn't even have to mention you were out North of Adelaide - we would have known by the British pounds finds - isn't that where the majority of British immigrants have settled? Nice finds!

Mayhaps,...methinks a Pommie on holidays bought himself a couple of Aussie pennies at a coin shop, then later(while playing with syringes) at the park,...lost his footing and fell, loosing said coins together in one drop(maybe).Definitely lost his marbles playing like that, and as for smurfette, ,,,well only her bike remains.

silver said:
Mayhaps,...methinks a Pommie on holidays bought himself a couple of Aussie pennies at a coin shop, then later(while playing with syringes) at the park,...lost his footing and fell, loosing said coins together in one drop(maybe).Definitely lost his marbles playing like that, and as for smurfette, ,,,well only her bike remains.

Classic!...still laughing and probably very close to the truth.

Went the playground at the Salisbury Oval this morning. Took my protective gloves and body armour. Came out alive with $13.80 in spends, a sinker, a junk ring, a Movie World something (make a good sinker) and a couple of buttons (have just started watching some episodes of The Detectorists so buttons are the new gold).....and another car for my collection. :lol:
1417407854_salisbury_2_dec_1.jpg

Paulmarr said:
You didn't even have to mention you were out North of Adelaide - we would have known by the British pounds finds - isn't that where the majority of British immigrants have settled? Nice finds!

yeah that's the place. No offence to any locals who frequent PA..... but that whole area is a serious downer.

Doing well there TTKooAU, some of those low er value decimals look like they've been there for a while( good for you).

Made a slight detour going to work yesterday, not far from the city

I hit the playground for $11.50 ($9.00 in one drop under the hammock, oh you silly sleeping money dropper, bless you TYVM!), a 10 Sen coin, two junk rings, the top of a cuff link....

1419303927_bp1.jpg

...then headed back to the car-park picking up another $3.90 on the way, then across the grassed area, under some trees I had a hi 77 signal mimicking a $2.00 coin which proved to be an old brass coat hook. It was one signal among hundreds and at about 7 inches, thinking it might be the top of a dump area since covered by lawn.

1419303927_bp2.jpg

I might head back there on Boxing day (isn't it funny I don't think of it as proclamation day anymore, Boxing day sounds more national) and re-sweep this dump area, then the big hill near the pond needs a good looking over.... imagining all the kids rolling down the slope laughing their heads off, all the while the insidious gravity and inertia are having their dastardly way with their hard earned pocket money....... ho ho ho.. Merry Christmas PA

TT

A very productive tot lot, always nice to have multiple targets for the reaping. Though do remember where your detecting location is in the scheme of things, anything more than a use of a screwdriver there and you may gain unwanted attention. ;)

Goldpick said:
A very productive tot lot, always nice to have multiple targets for the reaping. Though do remember where your detecting location is in the scheme of things, anything more than a use of a screwdriver there and you may gain unwanted attention. ;)

Cheers GP
Yep, that's what I use. I have a normal flat head and one with a barb welded on. More times than not I push it in slightly ahead of the signal and drag back, hooking the coin (or pull tab!). Also, on wet grass areas, I use pointy nosed pliers for the shallow coins ( up tp 5cm deep.

1419377402_hook1.jpg

1419377402_hook2.jpg

This morning I decided to trawl some untested tot lots in the northern suburbs again before work.

(Aside).....Now there may be some here who frown upon iron discrimination, which leads to a lot of junk left undisturbed..... but in the northern suburbs you get about 20 bottle caps and 10 fruit juice seals per SqM, so it works for me. As it was, I binned a good handful of pull tabs from the 6 playgrounds.... there I've done my bit for the environment.

It ended up being highly productive and one of my best morning searches with the ETP. 3 hours swinging and driving for just under $35.00.......

1419380465_smith1.jpg

plus a junk ring, a lead cavalry hat, some mesh, a padlock, a beetle key ring, US holey 1 cent, one only screw (found with the pro-pointer)....

1419380537_smith2.jpg

AND>>>>> the keys to the Sydney Opera House!!! :eek: (ya don't see that every day).

1419380489_smith3.jpg

AND I got a free shower at Smithfield when the sprinklers suddenly came on at 6:00 AM....who knew they had running water that far north!!!

Coins found since 31 October have paid for the ETP and I need $30 more to buy another Pro-pointer (thanks kids!.. and I promise not to use the next pointer as a digging tool :8 )

TT

Well, it's been a while since I put up a post in this section. Work has kept me fairly busy and I have concentrated a lot on panning (with minimal results).
Anyway, something got inside my head yesterday and I took the eurotek pro to a playground I haven't visited for about 18 months.

My first target was a $2 coin which is always a good start, and pays for the batteries. Second target was a ring pull, and third was this ring..... to quote sa_bogan...
gold baby!

18ct 6.54g.....did a little happy dance!

I'm going to put a flyer up at the park, about finding the ring, along with my number. If someone can recite the inscription, we can discuss ransoms ;)
I was thinking if I lost mine, it would be a bad thing, so I will give the owner a chance to claim it.
1466034665_ring1.jpg
1466034665_ring2.jpg