Minelab Battery pack replacement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been having some problems with the longevity of the GPX 5000 battery of late, and charging time was increasing each time.

I had the battery pack replaced by Hye Trading power [John] at Unit 5, 35-43 Lacey Street, Croydon, Victoria, 3136.

And all is good again with the world.

I have no affiliation with them, just offering an alternative to replacement of the whole unit.

http://www.hye.com.au/index.shtml

Were you running the battery down to the cut off point at each use or regularly recharging?
The nearly 6yr. old battery for my 4500 still functions as when new. I do however recharge at lunchtime or whenever I get back to the vehicle for a spell. End of the day its usually about 2hr. to go green.
In case it does cark it I bought a replacement pack, but sometimes wonder what their "shelf life" might be.
I think the set of batteries cost ~$55.00, a long way better than a full battery purchase.
mike

Planning on getting a light weight battery for a cable free GPX. Thinking of trying for about 3.5 to 4 hours use. Has anyone found that the LiPO batteries do deliver their specified milli ah ? If not what percentage of it would you get?

Thanks

funny you should ask !

i am in the process of making a new pack for my 5000, i will be half the size of the standard unit and offer about 6hrs detecting :cool:

waiting on some sockets and stuff to arrive to put it all together ;)

it also contains the transmitter for wireless headphones, and will come in at 1/3 the price of the standard battery, it is a work in progress :)

my 5000 is already wire free, but i need to trim some fat of it ;)

cant comment for the gpx as i run and upgraded sd2000, doesn't have any of the digital capabilities to worry about but the battery that i had was too heavy ended up buying woodies battery pack, got two have never needed the second one, even after a long weekend. they are LION and light! i can fit two in the side pouch on my detector. http://www.detectormods.com/product/52

1421099762_20150113_085334.jpg

Doctor, for the 6 hrs detecting your planning on, what mAH battery will you use? We're looking at these (and wondering what hrs the GPX would yield);
Turnigy nano-tech A-SPEC 4200mah 2S 65~130C Hardcase Shorty Lipo Pack
Turnigy nano-tech Shorty 4200mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack
or even (??)
Turnigy 4000mAh Spektrum DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack

Golddigg, can't make a mAH comparison but your setup looks very interesting. Is the LED readout part of an amp... and that green switch?? Also your speaker looks wired. Do you leave it on the control box or is that lead a long one?

jon_m said:
Golddigg, can't make a mAH comparison but your setup looks very interesting. Is the LED readout part of an amp... and that green switch?? Also your speaker looks wired. Do you leave it on the control box or is that lead a long one?

the maH is around 7000 i believe (might have to check with woody on that) the claim is 8 hours and ive seen nothing to disprove that, yes the LED readout is part of the amp, you push the button it gives you a current readout of the battery which charges to around 7.07 easy for quick checks without turning the detector on. the speaker has curly wire that stretches onto shoulder if required i personally just clip it to the rear of the detector whn in use.

G0lddigg@ said:
cant comment for the gpx as i run and upgraded sd2000, doesn't have any of the digital capabilities to worry about but the battery that i had was too heavy ended up buying woodies battery pack, got two have never needed the second one, even after a long weekend. they are LION and light! i can fit two in the side pouch on my detector. http://www.detectormods.com/product/52

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1421099762_20150113_085334.jpg
that is roughly the size of the pack i am putting together(yours is a little bigger because of your case) and and will be roughly 12000-14000ma (much more than 6hrs worth), you setup has given me more ideas, and i reckon i will get the batteries and transmitter to the size of a packet of 25 ciggies, many many thanx for the photos

mine will transmit to my phone and i will use the hands free kit(best of both worlds as i will be able to take calls and mute the detector)

HeadsUp thanks for the info, but think we're pretty much committed ourselves to Turnigy, which seem to be all the go at HobbyKing among radio control enthusiasts. They have alot of variety and some interesting specs like in the 1st one I listed, there are right angle plugs which should help in building a contained unit as well as it being shorter than most comparable batteries. And it could have a bit of a benefit regards heat with its 'A-SPEC'.

But being the one I think we're getting its 4200 mAh and while hopefully delivering ~4 hours detecting, it's nothing compared to the many hours yours should deliver Doctor, about 30% to 50% more than the real mccoy if I have the picture correct(?). Or is it because you're planning on powering the amp as well?

Golddigg I googled 'Sony NP-F970 Battery' and 6300 mAh is quoted (same as HeadsUp). That read out would be a great bonus to have. Like it.

So, maybe best planning is for about 10% less detecting hours than the stated battery specs and hope for 10% or 20% more ??

Thanks for all the ideas
Jon

HeadsUp said:
sony F970 battery 6000 mAH 7.2 volt and they give at least 5 hours on a GPX5000 with rooster booster ( same battery

The teeminals and signage are completely different mate

jon_m said:
HeadsUp thanks for the info, but think we're pretty much committed ourselves to Turnigy, which seem to be all the go at HobbyKing among radio control enthusiasts. They have alot of variety and some interesting specs like in the 1st one I listed, there are right angle plugs which should help in building a contained unit as well as it being shorter than most comparable batteries. And it could have a bit of a benefit regards heat with its 'A-SPEC'.

But being the one I think we're getting its 4200 mAh and while hopefully delivering ~4 hours detecting, it's nothing compared to the many hours yours should deliver Doctor, about 30% to 50% more than the real mccoy if I have the picture correct(?). Or is it because you're planning on powering the amp as well?

Golddigg I googled 'Sony NP-F970 Battery' and 6300 mAh is quoted (same as HeadsUp). That read out would be a great bonus to have. Like it.

So, maybe best planning is for about 10% less detecting hours than the stated battery specs and hope for 10% or 20% more ??

Thanks for all the ideas
Jon

I power a rooster boost (amp) and speaker so mine is drawing more than headphones would alone

there will be variations in battery life based on coil size and type of construction too

The genuine Sony 970 battery is rated at 6200 mAH while the Chinese generic copies are rated at 7000 or 7200 mAH

Guess what..... The genuine Sony lasts alot longer so some of those Chinese ratings must have been adjusted for the coriolis effect

jon_m said:
Jon

i plan to run everything from the same battery, will be only using the transmitter to headphones while urban detecting, in the wild will be using amp and speaker !

really like the volt meter idea ! but my 5000 tells me that and it bips when it is flat, so it is unneeded weight :cool:

<snip> Jon_m wrote;

Turnigy nano-tech A-SPEC 4200mah 2S 65~130C Hardcase Shorty Lipo Pack
Turnigy nano-tech Shorty 4200mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack <snip>

Just wanted to bring to any readers attention about wanting to use LiPo as opposed to Li_Ion. They are two VERY different chemistry's and with the LiPo batteries they shouldn't be allowed to drop below 20% voltage for long life. This means more time 'worrying' about charge levels, and less on concentrating on target responses.

Additionally, they should also be "storage" charged when not in use @ around 85% and require a specific charger to recharge them correctly.

Google "Lipo Fire" as well to get a picture of how things can go WRONG if you don't treat these batteries with RESPECT. They can be extremely volatile and hard to extinguish once alight. Damage can be experienced by too fast a charge by using the wrong type of charger.

Another issue with LiPo's is QC (quality control), especially with the low cost branded items. There are many "brands" of LiPo but few are regarded in the RC hobby as being of "good quality", with many "seconds" being sold by smaller companies just rebranded with their own logo's. Again, buyer beware.

Educate yourself before use and keep/charge well away from flammables, preferably OUTSIDE.

I use these on RC and would NOT use them on a detector myself..... do so at your own risk. It would only take placing the detector down onto a sharp or ragged rock/quartz to puncture the skin and start an unstoppable & out of control fire and possible damage to your detector, depending on how they are packed or fitted to the detector.

LiPo batteries are designed for high power/short run applications and as such really aren't designed for long run constant output as in a detector. Imo these batteries are too high a maintenance for "hobby" detector's and require a higher level of vigilance when using.

Be safe out there folks... and read up before changing from stock set ups. If it were a good way to go, Minelab would use it imo.

Cheers
Gypsy

Many detectorists have been using aftermarket li-ion & also li-po batteries in systems such as the "Little Ripper" for years. I've never heard of anyone having any issue with these at all - actually the opposite.
Yes you need the correct charger, yes you need to make sure you are getting quality batteries - like any battery, yes you need to be careful & use a flame proof charge bag preferably, yes you should have them in a protective case or protective cover to prevent damage, yes you should probably know a bit about them yourself or have someone who does make the pack, protection circuit to prevent overcharge/over discharge etc. up for you, yes there are plenty of "terrifying" YouTube videos showing idiots that go out of their way to cause li-po battery fires etc.
I'd use li-po again without hesitation, especially another true wireless set up like the "Little Ripper"!

I was using a 11v li-po batteries on my GP extreme with a coiltek 12v to 6.7v regulator for 18 month I found them to be very good and using appropriate charger regards john :)

Ok guys thanks for sharing your experience and yes they "can" be used. My experience with LiPo is that they just require more "safety" measures and management than i care for in my detector.

I much prefer to plug in, charge, hook up & go.... i spend way too much time worrying over charge rates, health & levels while using in RC that i just like to go detecting to "zone out" if you will, and finds nuggets. :D

Was only trying to bring to attention for those who aren't aware of the possibilities that "can" go wrong if not treated right. and to help reduce possible injury or damage. Best to know both sides of the coin before you buy imo.

P.S.... and not all LiPo fires are a result of "idiots" Deliberately making it happen. Many threads on RC forums of lost houses to fires during charging where either poor quality batteries or chargers have started the process. This has happened to long time users who would be the last ones you'd expect it to happen to. Just sayin.... ;)

Cheers
Gypsy

As an addendum to my last post on this issue, please see a most recent post here>; http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=168207 .... and this from an experienced regular operator of these power systems.

All i'm hoping to share is that these batteries "can" go badly wrong, and it's not always obvious it can/will happen.
For those who do use them in their detectors, i wish you well and am hopeful you don't find yourselves in this position.

Regards
Gypsy

Hi Gypsy

Good post - link.

Highlights the need for safety and using a Lithium Polymer Charge sack and Flame Retardant Silicone Fiberglass Bags. Good for charging and when in use. It seems most risk from LiPo is while charging and one retailer says this "We urge all customers to always practice extreme caution when charging and never leave a charging battery unattended."

regards
Jon

Latest posts