Highbanking in (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks GM, have you ever heard of permission given by the mining dept. for anyone to do a bit of prospecting? do you think it's worth approaching them to prospect in the Clohesy River? Cheers Rick

Ok Kem ....no need to rub it in :( we'll come good some time in the next 10 years....fingers crossed....I hope ..maybe. 8.( . Not sure about the Banking rules in QLD. :| It's even a grey area in NSW thanks to the uneducated sheep they call the Greens. The interpretation of act in it's present form is too ambiguous to call it illegal in NSW, and no court cases have yet set a precedent. If the Greens have their way though, it will only take the flick of a pen to send the Bankers down the same path as the amateur dredges....and then the panners ...and the fishermen...and the 4x4 guys and anybody breathing more air than their entitled to. :mad: Hope common sense prevails...but sometimes living in Canberra can be an embarrassment....Cheers Wal. :)

Yeah I know what you mean Wal, It's hard to enjoy what Oz has to offer without some bugger wanting to shut you down. We are hoping Can do Campbell comes good up. Fingers crossed. :)

We live in hope Kem...that's an integral part of being a prospector i guess. :/ Be a shame if our grand kids can't experience the pleasures of the great out doors without going through a mountain of red tape..Cheers Wal. :|

Come and live in Tassie, pretty much green controlled with more rules than you can poke a stick at :mad:

kemjak57 said:
Thanks GM, have you ever heard of permission given by the mining dept. for anyone to do a bit of prospecting? do you think it's worth approaching them to prospect in the Clohesy River? Cheers Rick

Mate I dont know, but dont see what harm it would do?
There is an epm covering the Northern part of the river, and the closest lease is on Davies ck.
There is an abandoned mine 'Reids Pocket' to the South, close to the track.
Why not ring em and ask? They are a good mob of people at the Mines dept in Mareeba.
See if you can get hold of Pat, or even the boss, Pete. At least you would then know?
I just tried to ring for ya but no answer!!!

Went for a drive this morning to check the location and it is actually National Park where I wanted to go so that put the kybosch on that. The first crossing is not in the park so I will check on that part of the river and see how I go. Thanks for the info GM. Cheers, Rick

ok so has anyone recieved confirmation via email or written that highbankers are permitted for use on qld fossicking fields? i recently contacted them and was passed around a few times and then told they were machinery, but since then have read on the forums here someone mentioning they were allowed as the pump is the mechanical not the sluice?

anyone with clarification?

Hi Everyone, will someone enlighten me as to whether a small high-banker, for example, The Banjo, is permitted to be used in Qld.

So far as I have heard, no. Lee (rc62burke) has been looking into it.
Unfortunately, unlike in other States where prospecting and fossicking law doesn't mention processing methods, QLD rules do specifically rule out anything but a gold pan, is my understanding.

What Casper is showing you is the old style Banjo which would be legal in Queensland.

I believe you are asking about small highbankers. The two tiered version of a highbanker is known to some as the modern Banjo.
http://www.gold-net.com.au/archivemagazines/may02/59329034.html#3
Under the letter of the law they aren't legal in Qld. Their Fossicking Rules & Responsibilities states "Hand tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers, electronic detectors and other similar tools can be used.No machinery is permitted." This isn't specific to any particular activity such as excavation & is more of a blanket statement than other states so creates the no machinery at all thinking.
You could argue the intent of the legislation, which I believe in reading it & other states, isn't for small devices such as a modern banjo/highbanker & was more aimed at ensuring large machinery isn't used in excavations or processing. Unfortunately it's poorly written, non specific & open to how enforcers + prospectors/fossickers can interpret it.
My way of thinking is when in Rome do what the Romans do. If people are highbanking without issue have a crack to - if they aren't or there's signage with things like no pumps, no generators etc. then give it a miss in those areas.
p.s my way of thinking may not hold up in a court of law :lol:
If I lived in Qld I would be pursuing avenues to have the intent more closely looked at & ways to get the current wording relaxed + being more specific to allow small apparatus such as highbankers allowable. In saying that I have seen examples in other states of people pushing the boundaries by building monster highbankers etc. to expose legislation in their favour. My opinion is this can be just as damaging & unfair to the average prospector as refusing their use at all. It's a two way street.

Latest posts