You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Widget
28 April 2018 12:16 am

Great Post! A little sad though, reading what involved, and what it'll cost to do some prospecting in Lightning Ridge cry

Gilly47
28 April 2018 03:35 pm

Cant wait for the ext episode, reads like a book thumbsup thumbsup

1 wife 1 dog and a sieve. NAPFA & QSMA member,

Piuquet
24 May 2018 11:29 pm

Great life story Shauno. Just joined PA so I can keep up with the installments.

1 user likes this post: Syndyne

Felklaw
20 June 2018 11:32 am

Awesome stories and sounds like some truly fond memories.

I actually stumbled upon this group when I was doing some research for my up coming trip.
Currently living in Chicago, but grew up in Lithgow, Dubbo, and Central Coast.
Mum has always loved opals and never been out to see Lightning Ridge, so I decided for this trip home to take the old bird out for a couple of days vacation and check it out.

We are going on one of the "tours" whilst there, and I'm saddened to know that it probably won't be quite the experience I would have loved to give her.
Part of the tour is also fossicking, but sounds like it's more likely to be just dirt moving.
Any suggestions of where to adventure ourselves to experience LR at it's best? Will be there night of 25th June until about lunch time 27th, and have a car for our own mobility.

If you do write and publish a book, please make sure you let us know in this topic Shauno. Not only would be interested in that, but also love to support those who are passionate about it and not just in for a buck.

glittergirl
22 December 2018 02:36 pm

When my sister and I were 7 and 9yo we lived in a caravan on the edge of the deep 4 mile. Mum and dad had a claim on the high side at the opposite side of the field from where the caravan was, and it was the best two years of my life....riding around in the back of the F100, exploring the dry 99% of the time creek that ran from the "Emu house" to the dam that provided us with many yabby feeds. My sister and I would happily wander over the fields on our own, eating the bush tucker introduced to us by a local character named Fred Rees while keeping our eyes out for anything that glittered in the sun or after the rain, as well as fossicking for agates along the 'road' that passed by our camp. I remember riding up and down the shaft in the bucket....the scent of the opal clay and the coolness of its touch are things I still remember, things that are not replicated even in the underground tourist tours.
This was back in 77/78.
My parents eventually ran out of money and back to the rat race we went....but they held onto that claim, as well as one they had on the 4 mile flat and another that they had over at The Grawin (which my sis and I called 'Christmas tree land') until the laws changed and they had to surrender them unless they were being worked on a full time basis. The next time I visited the place (in approx 1986) I managed to find the remnants of our camp and not too much seemed to have changed....although it had become a lot more 'touristy' it seemed. Ironically at this time when I was there Fred had just passed and his funeral was being held.
The next time I visited with my parents it was overrun with companies open cutting everything and wrecking the countryside and fossicking was only allowed in designated areas...and a part of me died to see that everything was so regulated. cry

Now I will go back and read the whole thread as I've only read the first two pages so far.

8 users like this post: Rockhunter62, Mackka, goody2shoes, kemjak57, LoneWolf, jimnyjerry, Gunna, grubstake

Mackka
22 December 2018 02:49 pm

Thanks for telling us your story. It would have been great as a child.
Mackka

glittergirl
22 December 2018 04:56 pm

Mackka wrote:

Thanks for telling us your story. It would have been great as a child.
Mackka

Best years of my life. So many memories, and more memories triggered reading through the whole thread. So awesome to read Shaun's stories and chuckle as I relate to different parts.
My parents' claim at The Grawin was actually at Carter's Rush, (no one here has called it that....is it just called Carter's now?) that was 'Christmas Tree Land', and Tony the German.....was that Tony Wagner (pronounced Vargner) or are they two different Tonys?

I stumbled on this thread while planning our July holidays, and I'm trying to decide whether to bring my 9yo to experience the place or whether it has become too regulated for us. I would love for her to experience some of that freedom that I did as a child, have a dip in the bore baths and maybe even find a bit of colour.

Incidentally, I am living in NE Vic, and the land between Beechworth and Eldorado is littered with old mine shafts from the Gold days. As far as I know there are no regulations on wandering around there, just signs pointing out to be aware of shafts in the area.
I cannot think how anyone, in their infinite wisdom, decided that creating hidden "sinkholes" in the form of unsettled and/or poorly filled shafts was safer than having an obvious open hole. I know as kids the hidden danger of a filled in shaft was made absolutely clear to us, even moreso than an open shaft because the filled in ones could be so hard to see but could collapse beneath your feet. The mind truly boggles at some of the bureaucratic decisions that get made these days!!

Just looking at a map and notice that Fred (Reece not Rees) has a road named after him. He would give my sister and I "two bob" each every time we saw him. We were fascinated by the way he had no electricity but went to bed and got up with the light. I also remember my parents helping him to replace the fencing around his mothers grave. I understand that he was the last remaining indigenous Australian that spoke his particular dialect. Just a bit of history.

Last edited by glittergirl (22 December 2018 05:22 pm)

5 users like this post: LoneWolf, goody2shoes, Gunna, Mackka, grubstake

LoneWolf
22 December 2018 06:07 pm

A great Story of the days gone by there glittergirl.......During the Early Mining days there weren't too many trees around as they were used for props in the mines, so not too many fell down shafts as you could see where they were... Now it is very different as the trees have grown back and you can't see most shafts these days....

Broken Hill in the early days was full of trees all around the Town, and every tree for hundreds of miles around were chopped and used for props... Unfortunately they didn't grow back and now you can see for miles without a tree in sight...

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

2 users like this post: Mackka, goody2shoes

goody2shoes
23 December 2018 10:15 am

Would love to read more stories about Grawin mines,

Goody smile

goody2shoes
26 December 2018 10:39 am

Does anyone have anymore information on Grawin mines ?

Like to learn more about mining......

Goody smile

LoneWolf
26 December 2018 09:55 pm

What sort of info do you require?... How to mine? Google. pickshovel .. What you will find, https://www.mindat.org/.. yikes . history ?....Google... koala

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

dan1000
03 April 2021 08:17 am

Thought I'd post the question here, has anyone heard about the Grawin dumps being officially closed to fossicking? I heard they're now fining people for entering the dumps, as there was an influx of morons driving their cars up there and interfering with the trucks.

Unfortunate timing for me if true as I've had plans to visit the Ridge for the first time in August, but if this is the case it looks like I'll have to make some changes to my trip!

Cheers all for any help/advice!
Dan

Bullwinkle
03 April 2021 09:45 am

dan1000 wrote:

Thought I'd post the question here, has anyone heard about the Grawin dumps being officially closed to fossicking? I heard they're now fining people for entering the dumps, as there was an influx of morons driving their cars up there and interfering with the trucks.

Unfortunate timing for me if true as I've had plans to visit the Ridge for the first time in August, but if this is the case it looks like I'll have to make some changes to my trip!

Dan

Hey Dan,

If no one here can help you, maybe give the Club in the Scrub a call : (02) 6829 3810 or send them a message via FB

dan1000
03 April 2021 09:54 am

Thanks Bullwinkle! I'll give them a buzz after the long weekend and see what they reckon!
Cheers mate
Dan

1 user likes this post: Bullwinkle

Syndyne
09 April 2021 12:52 pm

Did you have any luck, Dan?

I'd be more inclined to call the Department Of Mineral Resources rather than the Grawin Club as they may not be aware of the current situations at times.

You can contact the Mines Department on this number: (02)68 205 200

All the best,
Shauno.

Opal Miner & Gold Detecting Addict. GPZ7000, GPX5000, SDC2300.

dan1000
09 April 2021 09:22 pm

Hey Shauno,

I gave the information centre in town a call and they confirmed that the dumps are officially off limits cry so the only options in the Ridge now are the wash piles at the caravan park etc which isn't worth the drive as far as I'm concerned.

So now with that info it looks like White Cliffs will be my new target (unless I magically befriend a lease holder in LR between now and then hahaha) and hopefully the border is still open in August so I can get to Yowah and make a big round trip of it!

Cheers,
Dan

RM Outback
09 April 2021 09:35 pm

dan1000 wrote:

Dan

sad your not on your own we have/had loose plans to visit in August too. Best we get our heads around where's best to go, 10 day break is on the cards at this stage.

Kate loves opal and is really enjoying her silverdmithing and everything gem related with Bendigo Gem Club. It's our birthday pressy to each other, get away for a break and visit places of interest.

So what are the options at LR.

Last edited by RM Outback (09 April 2021 09:36 pm)

2 users like this post: Syndyne, jimnyjerry

Syndyne
10 April 2021 01:06 pm

I figured as much. We've just been sent out new amendments to claim safety and hole security too.

All is definitely not lost however, flick me a PM Dan and RM and I'll you guys sorted. I should be here and will be happy to show you around the local area if you're sticking near town. thumbsup

Regards,
Shauno.

7 users like this post: grubstake, mbasko, dan1000, RM Outback, Dihusky, Heatho, jimnyjerry

goody2shoes
10 April 2021 06:01 pm

My post vanished yikes

grubstake
10 April 2021 06:47 pm

goody2shoes wrote:

My post vanished yikes

Is this it?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 46#p461146

Where it is, there it is.

goody2shoes
10 April 2021 07:29 pm

No grubstake

Thank you for having a look for me

Last edited by goody2shoes (10 April 2021 07:35 pm)

RM Outback
10 April 2021 07:54 pm

Thanks Shauno thumbsup I'll have a yarn with Kate and let you know if we stick with our original plan. LR has been on our bucket list for a while so I'm pretty sure we'll be in touch beer

Dihusky
10 April 2021 11:16 pm

I can understand the safety issues, no body wants to see someone get injured and there are certainly a heap of idiots out there, but that said, the impact on tourism also has to be considered so maybe the town needs to look into setting up an area for tourists to fossick.

2 users like this post: dan1000, Eldorado

Syndyne
11 April 2021 01:35 pm

goody2shoes wrote:

My post vanished yikes

That was my edit Goody.

We generally don't advise seeking out locals on fields for info as there's a hefty price to pay if you're caught on a registered claim and an incident happens. I know it's not common, but it's happened a few times of late with the resurgence of the tourist numbers here.

Always remember: It's not permitted to be on claims without permission of the owner/s regardless of what field you're on.

Those of us that mine here full time always cop the wrong end of the stick from these incidents, so a little education as to the correct way to go about things is always warranted today. There's a precedented fine of up to $70,000 for any and all incidents/accidents on claims.

The best course of action is to direct to the Department Of Mineral Resources here for any and all info in regards to mining or fossicking.

Hope that clears it up a bit more for you. thumbsup
Regards,
Shauno.

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

Syndyne
11 April 2021 01:56 pm

Dihusky wrote:

I can understand the safety issues, no body wants to see someone get injured and there are certainly a heap of idiots out there, but that said, the impact on tourism also has to be considered so maybe the town needs to look into setting up an area for tourists to fossick.

That is something that's been asked many times over the years, hence the small setup at the information centre.

It's now a long gone era where miners would dump some remaining opal level on their claims. As mining has progressed to removing and washing the bulk of the claims along with the dirt we would normally store now having to go to designated mullock dumps (that are registered claims so the safety rules also apply), then there's sadly really nothing left to fossick on the opal fields anymore. Couple that with the current Mines Safety Act 2010 and it's beyond our (the miners) control unfortunately and I can only imagine a nightmare scenario to organise safely with insurance.

The only real opal dirt left is predominantly used to fill and rehabilitate the old holes. I still see the odd tourist out walking on these heaps now and again and I can't help but see why these rules and amendments are put into place at times.

It's become a snake chasing it's tail and I feel quite sad about the whole thing myself as a local. I'm just glad I can still mine in a somewhat smaller fashion as I'm sure it's only a matter of time before that inevitably goes away like the town's mining history before it.

Regards,
Shauno.

5 users like this post: grubstake, RM Outback, Mackka, Heatho, jimnyjerry