Smokey Quartz In The Black Springs Area.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFossickingKid

Angus Madden
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i have been told by various people that you can find smokey quartz crystals in the black springs area however I haven't been told exactly where. So the question is if anyone's found smokey quartz in that area could possibly tell me where it is if it's native dog creek or sapphire bend.
Thanks. :)

Try Blue Hills Quarry of Shooters Hill Road. Leather gloves, good balance, chisel & mallet, crowbar and bandages if trying the veins in the quarry. Otherwise check out the quartz lumps under the pine trees.

BS is a good place to camp. The lumps of quartz that can have crystal clusters on them in the forest at Blue Hill would be about the size of the rocks they used as a garden edge at BS rest area.
Below is a shot of the quarry with where to park around the back as access into the quarry was blocked.
1413185892_bluehill.jpg

At blue hills quarry you can walk around the forestry tracks and find crystals on the roads and look for quartz veins going into the bankments. Agree, crowbar and heavy picks are required to get into pockets of crystals. I live near the quarry and many years ago got to know the contractors and went in after each blast. I got some big pockets and sold many kilos for faceting and specimens. I got $180 a kilo for many parcels of specimens. But that is ancient history unfortunately.
The bottom picture is crystal from a local spot i keep to myself (sorry)...black as black morion with a grey quartz scalp on it and a slight amethyst tip. The spot has good pure amethyst and rare double terminated with amethyst one end and smokey on the other.
Cheers RDD

Mick here I dug up a 15kg quarts cristal at black springs 2 weeks ago it was three feet down under a small pine tree at saffirevbend next to campground . it was my first time out there, I have pictures but not sure how to post them with this message but will try with younger persons help , I've just learnt how to do this.

Mick here I dug up a 15kg quarts cristal at black springs 2 weeks ago it was three feet down under a small pine tree at saffirevbend next to campground . it was my first time out there, I have pictures but not sure how to post them with this message but will try with younger persons help , I've just learnt how to do this.
1517028425_img_20180115_120105.jpg
1517028532_img_20180115_120058.jpg

1517028533_img_20180115_120048.jpg

1517028534_img_20180115_115910.jpg

Latest posts