Diamond saw motor replacement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was hoping for some input for replacement motor for my diamond saw.My Uncle gave it to me the other day. It went under in the Bundaberg floods and have to replace bearings and the motor.Someone told me I could use a washing machine motor. Any info greatly appreicing
1412322484_saw.jpg

You should be able to pick up a motor off any old appliance, I find them mostly around garage sales and buy them for 5 dollars or so.
Keep your eyes peeled for anything that may be belt driven, usually they will still work, some may need a little bit of re-wiring, like a mains cord. If you don't know what you are doing there, then make sure that its someone who does know. It's not the hardest thing to fix up, but because they are usually 240 volts, safety is needed. Specialty bearing stores should be able to help you out with them if you are able to remove them from the unit.

If the shaft of the motor turns, it means that is not seized and should work again.

May I just ask, what is wrong with the current motor? I pick them up off hard rubbish after being soaked and dripping with rain, but after a quick clean, they usually will still work as long as the coil windings are fine. If you have a multi meter you can test for continuity to check the coils and connections.

If you want to test the motor out, make sure it is mega dry, plug it in, stand back and flick the switch on and off very quickly. If it makes a nasty buzzing noise, and sparks, it would need a bit of work. But most old motors will run.

Thanks AtomRat,
I was'nt sure if I could use any motor.The Shaft does turn.Ill check it today now its the weekend. The main thing that buggers up the motor is the mud and bearing that rust.I agree if you can get to it quickly after flooding you can flush the motor in clean water.
Ill let you know how I go. Ill replace the bearings on the shaft as well.
regards

If you have the original motor, then pull it down and give it a good wash (not too severe with the pressure hose or you might strip off the insulating varnish). Rinse well with clean water, put it in your oven at about 70 deg C and remove when very very dry, remove bearings and replace, and put back together.

Thanks for that excalibar63. I will pull it down and flush it.If it does'nt work, Ill get another motor.

Latest posts