You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Tathradj
13 October 2014 08:55 pm

I have the same ones. big_smile
I know that there are so many variables out there but these to me seemed to be the best though I would like to see them a bit higher.
Time will tell. (Hope Not)

Teemore wrote:

Here's another option, I've purchased these, they seem comfortable enough, not 100% sure about the underfoot strap but time will tell how durable it is ..... must say feel a lot more comfortable roaming around in grass overgrown debris with these on.

http://snakeprotex.com.au there's also a vid demonstrating a snake attacking them.

Haven't come across one out detecting (I still belt the shite out of trees and rocks as detect) but as Nugget indicated having driven over 1 and from also having 2 on the road they are definitely out there.

Also trying to find a good compression badge ..... just in case.

Sweet dreams, Tom

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

Cheese

LC76
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
14 October 2014 06:59 pm

"The man was then bitten two or three times on either the hand or upper arm," Senior Sergeant Soutar.
He said despite requests from bystanders, the man did not seek medical attention and instead went to a camp just outside of town, where he collapsed about 40 minutes after he was bitten."

What the hell was he thinking?

Sounds like suicide by snake.

Cheese
14 October 2014 07:37 pm

Yup some think a small 1 wont kill yas, FRIK.
Just the same as a big 1 the poison.
Must have been sooooo drunk, prob a nunga
as he went to the camp.
Sad sight in Laverton all that drinking,
But why did not they chase him up as they know he was bitten.

RadioGuru
14 October 2014 10:56 pm

How's this for a brown snake...

1413287705_little-brown-snake-190114.jpg

Apparently a snake this size (about 120mm long) is just as deadly as a 2m adult. This one was outside my tent on a camp last summer. I admired it for a while then just let it be.

A nugget a day keeps the worries away.

nuggetino
14 October 2014 11:23 pm

Yep the little ones are just as deadly but the snake in your pic isn't poisonous at all. It's a type of shovel nosed snake. Full grown they get to around 40cm. The head shape is a dead giveaway.

stevo
14 October 2014 11:28 pm

Massive red-bellied black has snake catcher rethinking his call out fee

http://www.watoday.com.au/nsw/massive-r … 0oylh.html

Minelab GPX 5000..Eldorado River Sluice..

RadioGuru
15 October 2014 01:26 am

nuggetino wrote:

Yep the little ones are just as deadly but the snake in your pic isn't poisonous at all. It's a type of shovel nosed snake. Full grown they get to around 40cm. The head shape is a dead giveaway.

Probably good news since it was right outside the door of the tent when I went to come out. At first I thought it was a worm. It was wiggling about but not making much headway. At a slightly closer look (before I got my peepers really close) it looked like the tail of a lizard that dropped off after a bird attack. Not really knowing what species it was and just assuming it was a nasty one I thought best to let it be.

It makes me wonder how many snakes this size fall victim to birds though.

Last edited by RadioGuru (15 October 2014 01:27 am)

Cheese
15 October 2014 08:13 am

A western Brown has colour on his head when young.
and They are a very good looking snake,lol.
But I can tell you in that a small brown snake can open
his jaws very wide for a bite.ok.
The thing I have with the little 1s is that you cant or there
friken hard to see them on the ground.
+ they get in the mally stump during winter time
and, Lol, I tend to bring a few home.
But Its not like there are there to attack you,
they live in australia and I go around them.
I read the cane toad kills a lot of snakes up nth way.
Me I hurt nooooo wild life,
All Creatures great and small.

1 user likes this post: HeadsUp

Nightjar
15 October 2014 09:58 am

Unfortunately for the victim he is another statistic who died trying to kill this snake.
The "snakeman" used to travel around WA country shows explaining to the public the dangers when encountering a snake. He had a huge Western Brown in a bag and before he released it he asked the public to stand back from the surrounding fence. Some of the gung ho's carried on leaning on the rail. Snake out of the bag and in a flash it was at the fence. Those leaning over were probably out the door and still running. The handler went on to explain that more people are bitten trying to kill. A King Brown could be hanging off your knee cap before you even raised the shovel.

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

HeadsUp
Banned
Banned
15 October 2014 01:35 pm

Nightjar wrote:

Unfortunately for the victim he is another statistic who died trying to kill this snake.
The "snakeman" used to travel around WA country shows explaining to the public the dangers when encountering a snake. He had a huge Western Brown in a bag and before he released it he asked the public to stand back from the surrounding fence. Some of the gung ho's carried on leaning on the rail. Snake out of the bag and in a flash it was at the fence. Those leaning over were probably out the door and still running. The handler went on to explain that more people are bitten trying to kill. A King Brown could be hanging off your knee cap before you even raised the shovel.

some species of snakes may see infrared as can birds , so they may be more likely to strike unprotected areas where they see heat , hence my desire to improve the height of leg protection.

just for the record , studies have shown that some species of birds can see up to 15 frequencies of the colour spectrum including infrared , we see only 7 basic colours but there are many more colours than what we understand so i give credibility to the infrared heat aspect of snakebites

On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

Jaros
15 October 2014 04:55 pm

""some species of snakes may see infrared as can birds , so they may be more likely to strike unprotected areas where they see heat , hence my desire to improve the height of leg protection.""

By geez HeadsUp, in that case a few of us will need "waders"!!!!! yikes

F1A4M2, GPX4500, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

HeadsUp
Banned
Banned
15 October 2014 07:36 pm

Jaros wrote:

""some species of snakes may see infrared as can birds , so they may be more likely to strike unprotected areas where they see heat , hence my desire to improve the height of leg protection.""

waders ?

dont be silly

just get a very very big gumboot 7 feet tall that you can climb inside of and squat down inside while someone pushes you around the paddock

logical or wot big_smile

ops

on a more serious note ;

http://www.workbootsusa.com/wolverinew30079.html
1413362527_wolverine-serpent-slayer-waterproof-snake-boot-w30079-6.gif.jpg

i cant find out yet if the zipper is made of metal . to be advised

and note the full leg snakeprotex on the bottom line , $ 288 though ;

1413362423_full_length_gaitors.jpg

Last edited by HeadsUp (15 October 2014 07:42 pm)

On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

2 users like this post: Retirement Stone, Dogmatic

jimnyjerry
15 October 2014 10:52 pm

Seems people on a lot of forums are commenting on the number of active snakes spotted. Saw 2 red bellies and two browns up Inverell/Glen Innes way recently. Not sure how many I did not spot slipping away.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

slipped disc
15 October 2014 10:57 pm

jimnyjerry wrote:

Seems people on a lot of forums are commenting on the number of active snakes spotted. Saw 2 red bellies and two browns up Inverell/Glen Innes way recently. Not sure how many I did not spot slipping away.

yikes Run FOREST, run. feets - do ya thang. tongue

AHAAA,another 6 inch deep pulltab. Yippee, a 12 inch deep pulltab - SOV.XS.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

Digginholes
16 October 2014 08:47 am

RadioGuru wrote:

How's this for a brown snake...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 190114.jpg

Apparently a snake this size (about 120mm long) is just as deadly as a 2m adult. This one was outside my tent on a camp last summer. I admired it for a while then just let it be.

I can't be 100% sure but this pic looks like a leg less lizard to me. Notice the small flap kind of looking thing on the sides of its tail, they would be it's legs, these normally are around 12cm in size
Oh and yes legless lizards have legs they are just so small skinny and useless that they can't be called legs or used as legs

Last edited by Digginholes (16 October 2014 08:54 am)

MJB
16 October 2014 09:10 am

1413410882_tiger_snake.jpg

Saw this Tiger on the way to Baileys Rocks in Western Vic. He looked to be happily sunning himself and when we got out to have a look you could tell his back was broke and had been ran over.

Not sure if he was dead but he looked alive and I was not going to get any closer to find out tongue

Cheers

Gear used : Garret pans, mini sluice, Highbanker/sluice, Dry blower, Rock crusher and Minelab Pro-find pointer, MineLab XT17000

cracka
16 October 2014 10:47 am

Hi all, Was out for a look around Hillend, Hargraves, Windeyer, Pyramul and Turondale on the 2nd and 3rd October and saw a few Brown snakes on the road between 2-4 foot long yikes . None while bushwalking but i made sure i made plenty of noise. Lots of frogs noises at night so there is plenty out there for them to feed on. Was also down Moruya way about late August and there were plenty of Diamond pythons around the property i stayed at. Really healthy beautifully coloured specimens smile . Will try to post a pic (havent posted pic before).

Cracka.

Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find pinpointer, Falcon MD-20 Gold Tracker, Highbanker and hopefully soon a Walbanker. I started with nothing and still have most of it left!

cracka
16 October 2014 10:57 am

Once there was 1 now there are four.
1413417262_img_0370.jpg
1413417290_img_0371.jpg
1413417311_img_0374.jpg
1413417334_img_0375.jpg

They have plenty of lumps in them, Could be baby rabbits, rats or there are a few baby possums around sad

Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find pinpointer, Falcon MD-20 Gold Tracker, Highbanker and hopefully soon a Walbanker. I started with nothing and still have most of it left!

2 users like this post: slowflow, Billy

Mackka
16 October 2014 06:13 pm

Hey thanks for that Cracka, just had the shivers that nearly through me outta my chair hehehehe!
Mackka

Lambs73
16 October 2014 07:11 pm

Ok enough you blokes, enough of the snakes. I hate snakes.

I woke up in the middle of the night in a sweat from dreaming about the bloody things.

Nugget help a guy out and lock this topic off. Lol

RadioGuru
16 October 2014 07:43 pm

Just one more...

1413448903_slimeyone.jpg

A Tiger at the foot of Mt Bogong, Victoria about six years ago. It was coiled up when I passed it in the car but by the time I'd taken three or four photos it decided it was warm enough to try and get me so I backed off and put a bigger lens on the camera.

MJB
16 October 2014 07:58 pm

big_smile big_smile big_smile

Sorry Lambsy,

Can't really stand them myself either, its just that they are so sneaky and evil looking....they just want to bite you yikes

Gear used : Garret pans, mini sluice, Highbanker/sluice, Dry blower, Rock crusher and Minelab Pro-find pointer, MineLab XT17000

Dogmatic
16 October 2014 08:09 pm

There are only a couple that want to bite you. The rest are pretty friendly, a bit like dogs. Tigers are like cranky dogs all the time and the browns are like
potentialy cranky dogs if stirred up. Most of the others will run away unless you corner them.

Whites TDI Pro OZ series, Whites SPP, MinelabSovereign GT, Minelab Pro-Find, SYM 12x45 Half n Half sluice.

Dogmatic
16 October 2014 08:13 pm

HeadsUp wrote:
Jaros wrote:

waders ?

dont be silly

just get a very very big gumboot 7 feet tall that you can climb inside of and squat down inside while someone pushes you around the paddock

logical or wot big_smile

ops

on a more serious note ;

http://www.workbootsusa.com/wolverinew30079.html
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … -6.gif.jpg

i cant find out yet if the zipper is made of metal . to be advised

and note the full leg snakeprotex on the bottom line , $ 288 though ;

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … aitors.jpg

What a great looking set of boots. All leather and water proof. Even if the zipper is metal would it make that much difference? I don't detect that close to my legs.
Might have to look at getting a pair of these.

Whites TDI Pro OZ series, Whites SPP, MinelabSovereign GT, Minelab Pro-Find, SYM 12x45 Half n Half sluice.