Trina's 1st gold,1st gram(end of a dig)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sloped expanded is steel with "telstra blue" paint. Maybe they make it in plastic but I've never seen it.

Secondly I've mulled over my response to the response. ....i thought about using words like review and Veac report and dredging and Greenies and then I realized the statements made did all the work for the opposition. Imadog come for a visit one day and I'll show you where the old timers moved hundreds of cubic metres scaring the land, where surfacing has taken hillsides to bedrock, and a few before and after shots of a small creek in full flood and drought and it will help keep things in perspective buddy. The thousands of carp running up my old man's creek that flows into the local reservoir used for irritation and drinking water unfortunately don't share your silting concerns, selfish buggers. I assure you 20x has just as much interest in letting the prospecting continue as anyone on this forum, I'm fairly sure he'll make good.

I do agree with Imadogman on his stance about what pictures should not show in their backgrounds, that's for certain.

Imadogman said:
did not show water siltation in the process of sluicing
By this im guessing you mean the fitration of the water after running through the banker, if so, this i am unaware has been bought in as legislation, a few of us touched on this as an idea to put through to different members of parliament, but never was responded to, so i dumped my idea being to time/expensive to persue.
I am not sure of the prospecting you do mate, but you cannot get clean water from dirty water, when high banking, or any washing for that fact.
No offence intended Imadogman, im hoping some questions have been answered, if not feel free to ask mate, were all here to help :D
Ps, dont be shy to use the smiley face icons below, they are a top way to let people know your exact intentions when posting just in case someone gets the wrong idea about what you are trying to say or ask ;)

One large gush of water down any creek and mother nature restores the balance and flattens everything in its path. Also the water is murky brown in any flood.

In NSW we are not to cause significant turbidity to the water ways. I have found that the murky water only last for about 20 metres or so downstream, then returns to clear. Go and have lunch then its mostly restored back to clear again. Its even less murky if the highbanker is set up out of the creek and allowed to flow directly on the bank for as many metres as possible, this allows the outflow to be almost clear when reaching the creek. Not always possible because you want to shovel directly from your spot to the banker, minimising workload.

It really is a minimal impact pastime. Take a look at Singleton, NSW on Google Earth, zoom out and look what the big boys are doing to the landscape. BTW I am a coal train driver so am not against mining for the sake of employment. We spill 3 litres of diesel on their site and its a major environmental inquiry. Look 200m to the left of the spill and their raping the landscape. Its a funny world we live in.

I do get the point that anyone against our hobby would take the pictures and paint an environmentally damaging story to support their case.

Good discussion as always.

I've reread what I've written and it's open to be interpreted as harsh, but it wasn't my intention. Washing a few rocks is not going to tip the environmental balance out of kilter in such and isolated and minimal way was what I was getting at, and even if the Veac report gets implementation and legislated it's only the National Parks we as prospectors won't be able to do it in. I see fellow prospectors doing so much good I get a bit annoyed when we are called to answer for such things as digging a hole, in a creek, in the right area, and somehow it's cause for concern. What I mean is I find this to be in a different category to hydraulic sluicing, dredging, excavation with mechanical means, in a gazetted area, on this one the umpire can only draw one conclusion, that the pursuit was conducted within the current rules and successfully. Point being no matter if there's someone out there getting upset about this its still allowed to happen.

No matter what we do or how we do it, there will always be someone somewhere who wont be happy with what goes on, its just as simple as that.
GT, after we spoke yesterday and i went out the front to get in my ute and leave, a woman approached me and said "i dont like your breed of dog, you should have it muzzeld when on the back of your ute in public", i responded "what, my golden retriever" she said "yes its a dangerous dog".
Go figure, my dogs a Bullmastiff, point being, yes i deliberately told her the wrong breed knowing full well she had no idea what type of dog she was talking about, same goes for different types of prospecting/fossicking, some people who just dont understand it, fear it, some people associate prospecting with mining, ask to dig a hole and they assume within 2 days there is going to be a PC 1000, D11, on their property, misunderstanding/misconception of a practice will lead to people drawing their own conclusions on what is actually happening.
I dont think there was anything wrong with what you posted GT. :D

PS, as for the woman in association with my dog, and some people who dont agree with sluicing and banking and everything else us propectors do, just coz you dont like it, why should we have to stop, the world just dosnt revolve around your ideas :|

Imadogman said:
I've mulled over whether or not to post on this because I don't know the exact circumstances of the fossicking. I think it is great that an obviously keen couple is having a good go.

However, personally I am a bit concerned about the pictures in this post as they show a lot of muddy water in a possibly flowing stream and also a lot of work in terms of piles of tailings and holes.

Given the current issues around the report by the environmental commission, and their push to reduce sluicing, and the green propaganda machine, it would be good to have pictures that:

did not show water siltation in the process of sluicing

and did show that the necessary backfilling and make good after the sluicing has in taken place.

It would be good if you could post photos of the 'after' job as well -- for the benefit of sluicers so they can see that it is the right thing to backfill all holes, even in the creeks.

This is an issue for all sluicers everywhere, but especially for Victoria where the microscope is on what you do.

nah it is not an issue, seriously I do not come to a prospecting forum to look at pictures of people back filling holes, putting their rubbish in bags and taking a crap in a carefully measured 200mm hole, we are all prospectors, and all of us love the bush and all of us look after the bush because we love it (all of us live in it for at least some time during any year) That makes us all conservationists and just because some clown with no idea of what we do wants to point a finger and call us environmental vandals does not mean we should not post photo's of us and our loved ones enjoying our hobby.
You pointed out the recent report , if you have read it you realise they do not need any photos nor any evidence of any kind, they propose banning sluicing because commercial dredging disturbed rivers. The only way that proposal could have made it into their report is if the make up of the committee lacked a representative of the users group (prospectors and fossickers) which is in contravention of the act under which it was formed and therefore illegal, which would make the legislation based on their recommendations invalid.
Rather then worry about how a photo on a prospecting forum "looks" to a "Greenie" that might be trolling the forum, write to the minister involved and explain to him how he was misled

I agree that one good gully buster will put all that overburden back where it belongs but, according to the "guide to fossicking in NSW", mention is made about the points that Imadogman brought up concerning water turbidity and removal of rock from a water course, i.e.

Disturbance to the bed of the waterway and in-stream washing and sorting of materials collected to
extract the gemstones can result in direct impacts
on aquatic habitats or indirect impacts such as
siltation and smothering of
in-stream gravel beds and aquatic veget
ation. Siltation also reduces water
quality for in-stream fauna and can affect the gills
of fish, causing respiratory distress or disease

The
Fisheries Management Act 1994
regulates a range of activities including those that harm the
habitat of native fish (including threatened spec
ies of fish) and recreational fishing. Following the
guidelines and avoiding the activities listed below will assist you in complying with this Act:

removing or disturbing any material that is im
portant habitat for fish (including threatened
species of fish) from the bed or banks of a wa
terway including woody debris (snags) greater
than 3m in length, large cobbles, rocks or bo
ulders (greater than 500mm in diameter) or
aquatic vegetation
; or

placing or reshaping any material across a wate
rway that may obstruct the free passage of
fish.
If you wish to undertake recreational fishing while fossicking, please ensure you comply with the
fishing regulations as summarised in the Freshwater Fishing Guide (link).
You should avoid disturbing mud, clay or fine silt that
causes significant turbidity in a waterway, as this
could lead to a breach of the
Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997

As this is legislation, and enforcable, we don't want to give any governing body (the greens) any ammo to shut down any more land or close off methods of acquiring gold or gemstones.

Duly noted Mungo. If this activity was in that state this would be very relevant. Fortunately for us in Victoria these backward green leaning obligations aren't the case. I'm guessing that's why a migration occurs to within of borders here from our colonies. Still legal, still smiling.

Good to hear Goldtarget, and yeah, us yanquies are partial to your state...something to do with the gold you've got down there?

Mungoman said:
I agree that one good gully buster will put all that overburden back where it belongs but, according to the "guide to fossicking in NSW", mention is made about the points that Imadogman brought up concerning water turbidity and removal of rock from a water course, i.e.

Disturbance to the bed of the waterway and in-stream washing and sorting of materials collected to
extract the gemstones can result in direct impacts
on aquatic habitats or indirect impacts such as
siltation and smothering of
in-stream gravel beds and aquatic veget
ation. Siltation also reduces water
quality for in-stream fauna and can affect the gills
of fish, causing respiratory distress or disease

The
Fisheries Management Act 1994
regulates a range of activities including those that harm the
habitat of native fish (including threatened spec
ies of fish) and recreational fishing. Following the
guidelines and avoiding the activities listed below will assist you in complying with this Act:

removing or disturbing any material that is im
portant habitat for fish (including threatened
species of fish) from the bed or banks of a wa
terway including woody debris (snags) greater
than 3m in length, large cobbles, rocks or bo
ulders (greater than 500mm in diameter) or
aquatic vegetation
; or

placing or reshaping any material across a wate
rway that may obstruct the free passage of
fish.
If you wish to undertake recreational fishing while fossicking, please ensure you comply with the
fishing regulations as summarised in the Freshwater Fishing Guide (link).

You should avoid disturbing mud, clay or fine silt that
causes significant turbidity in a waterway, as this
could lead to a breach of the
Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997

As this is legislation, and enforcable, we don't want to give any governing body (the greens) any ammo to shut down any more land or close off methods of acquiring gold or gemstones.

Think I must have made my point badly so here goes again
  • This is a prospecting forum there will be photos of prospecting otherwise there is no point having the forum[/*]
  • as we are all prospectors and all have the appropriate licences to pursue our hobby we are all aware of our obligations[/*]
  • The Greenies are not trolling this forum looking for photos to prove we are arseholes, they don't need evidence they manufacture it[/*]
  • the greens are not in power and do not make the legislation, write to your ministers that are in power and educate them [/*]
  • be aware that guides are not legislation and often conflict with the legislation they are written to support[/*]
  • significant turbidity in a waterway would be defined as turbidity that never occurs in the river due to natural events (ie. flooding) although it is defined in some states legislation as turbidity 300 metres down stream[/*]
  • anyone on this forum unsure of their obligations can find plenty of information in the appropriate section[/*]

Pretty sure the seasonal waterway 20x was working in is exactly that, a seasonal waterway if it wasnt he would of been diving, most of the creeks, streams, waterways and gullys around here (my area) dont go any futher than the local farmers dam, there are a few that make it to major waterways eventually, but they are on the no-go list anyways, the small waterway, creek, stream i work in has been cut in by the weather for the last god knows how many years, and it aint going any futher than the dam set up to catch the water to supply his live stock with, aint no endangerd fish living in a seasonal creek that see's water down it only after a heavy rain, the only life i have seen in the creek was a passing brown snake or two, and some very tasty yabbies living in that much mud and silt the little blighters appreciated the fact that some water had been disturbed.
From looking at 20x pics, its pretty easy to tell that would not be a waterway significant to support any sort of aquatic life other than some random yabbies and some drinking holes for passing wildlife, its obviously on the "dig & wash list" otherwise he wouldnt of even been there, and i totally agree with the fact we shouldnt have to look at pictures of backfilled holes, heaps better things to do then play "keep the green douchebag society happy" game, keep it up 20x and others posting their washing/sluicing pics, i enjoy them as much as the next prospector ;)

Ps just because some pictures show someone is digging in a creekbed, dont automatically assume is part of a major or significant waterway, some of the best gold bearing locations i have found are nothing more than gully's running between elevated ground, and simply has some holes large enough to catch enough water to wash with.

Before everyone jumps up on a soapbox to give Imadogman too much grief over expressing an opinion I'll add that not only is he well aware of the issues facing our hobby but he is also active in corresponding with (including with Victorian dept.s to support interstate causes) & meeting with the varied dept.s etc. in his own unpaid time.
To me his statement was only that it may not be, in his opinion, wise to post turbid water in photos & that a couple of photos of remediated area's would be good. No comment was made to suggest any wrongdoing by 20x or highbanking in general? It's just an opinion the same as others may not wish to see pics of remediated area's.
I can see both points of view but with the amount of open holes etc. I see around lately maybe some before, during & after photos to help educate people on the correct thing to do aren't such a bad idea?
With 3700+ members on here I would guarantee that there is a percentage that aren't angelic prospectors running around doing nothing but the right thing. I for one (& there are others) will no longer post info on areas for this reason although I do try to help via PM etc. if the request seems fair dink. Recently at a spot, that seems to be getting more attention lately, I was approached by one of the nearby property owners. He said he wasn't worried about me & had seen me there before (no more nude detecting there :lol: ) but people were getting sick of the holes being left open & were concerned about how close people were starting to detect to their houses. I couldn't do much but agree because in easy line of sight were several large left open holes.
So in short, while I'm sure 20x & his excellent missus (good work 20x by the way on the gold & the girl) remediated their area according to the obligations of their Victorian Miners Rights that there are definitely others not doing the right thing so can see where Imadogman was coming from. Regardless of whether its a significant waterway, high traffic area or isolated backwater I can't understand not filling in your holes though. Much quicker & easier to fill the suckers than it is to dig em out to start with?
Maybe a different thread was needed, so as not to imply any wrongdoing by 20x, but to raise the issue for discussion & request some before, during & after type photos?

Totally agree with you mbasko.

The wife and I get sick of seeing the holes that are so often left. We always fill our holes and where practical, we fill in any that we find that others have left. Those who leave holes open are just ruining it for every one.
Also a note for new comers - when you fill your hole, don't re-bury the garbage, take it with you and dispose of it correctly. The main reasons for this are

1. You may want to re-detect the area at a later date and won't want to dig up the same worthless junk.
2. You are cleaning the environment = Good for our hobbies reputation.
3. Helping out fellow detectorists.

Cheers

WalnLiz said:
How good is it when you bring your partner along.....don't even get into trouble when you get home late at night :D . Good looking gold and good looking creek, and good to see no carpet in the boiler section. ;)

Hi wal, thanks mate ey...since this i took her to work some flour gold and i wanted to test this sluice config on it. i thought i would get a more even spread down the sluice but amazingly the flour dropped nearlly the same as this gold. vertical/90 degree is definately the way to go. ive tested 45 degree riffles in this config and its just spreads the gold further down the sluice sections. since been thinking about the 45 degree on the expanded and i might do some more tests with some type of 90 degree expanded like your cat walk idea. ;)

Trina is just as keen on the yella as i am...big plans for the future ;) :cool:

Latest posts