Best Metal Detector to start with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i started with a Garrett Ace 350, i still own it 19 months on but its now used by my 11 year old daughter.
its a notch discriminating detector with no target id, even though the 350 works in high mineral areas like Kalgoorlie where a lot of cheap vlf machines wont work, i would say if you coin hunting buy a detector that has a target id over one that just has a notch id, gives you a lot more info having a target number.
The fisher brand make a couple cheap machines, F2 and F4 which give target id.
AT Pro been my machine of choice for just over a year, its a fantastic, easy to use machine for around $700 is a little expensive for a new user to buy.
I have owned a Minelab Explorer, at the time only been detecting then a few months, i found the machine too complex for me and really spent more time mucking about with settings than swinging for coins.

Does anyone offer courses for field use of detectors I did a fair amount of research and got myself a Whites GMT goldmaster as a starting point for my adventures in to detecting. Seems to have all the setting you need but I need to now a little more about using more and less gain in certain soil types and conditions really hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I also seem to get weak/no signal or strong signals which tend to be surface junk nothing in between. I think my technic for digging targets leaves a little to be desired too and would be great if someone could give a little one on one advice.

Is the detector new from a dealer or second hand? If new most dealers will (or should) give you a free lesson or two so you get to know the machine. Where abouts you located?

I am located in Wheelers hill, Victoria. I had a brief lesson in store when I brought it but its a lot different to using it in the field. I have a lot of trouble picking up and identify good targets.. It's clearly operator error rather than the detector as it seems to work fine.. I have a couple of small specks of gold I test with I get a small response barely auditable change in frequency. I certainly get that distinguishable zip zip of the specimens tested in the shop. I have spentour number or hours on well know fields with nuggety gold and slightly disheartening to not have found a speck of the good stuff. Mind you seems to find nails bullets and other junk easily.

I have walked for many hours over many different gold fields here in NSW with my GPX5000, and found nothing! Then one day it just happened when lease expecting it. The gold is there, its just a matter of walking over it! I know friends that have spent weeks and in some cases months in the goldfields but have found nothing as well, so dont let it get to you or give up just yet. I had a signal at Stuart Town common, started to dig and got down about 8 inch's deep in what seemed like solid rock. I thought to myself yes this has to be it!!!! Turned out to be a squashed 22 shell. I was not a happy person. It made no sense as to how it got there or anything, just crazy. The next day about 5 metres away from the car, 1.2gram nugget, funny thing is everyone that was camped there with me also would have walked over this nugget to get further in the bush. Go figure!!!!

Great advice Pete. I am certainly determined I ll tell you that.. I am just concerned that with my lack of expirance I am missing opportunities and I am digging everything I sort of feel is unusual which wastes time on finding the right prospects. I guess it's about finding a balance of digging like a desprate guy and indentifying quaility targets a mix that i currently have wrong. I am happy I'm not the only one that has spent such a long time to no avail.

I was the pretty much same when I started metal detecting. All I can say is watch as many Youtube vids as you can and just get out there and learn your machine. They're all different but the more time you spend out in the field the better you will become at detecting quality targets.

It says in the manual for my AT-GOLD something like it'll take approximately 100 hours to master the unit.

I offer gold tours. I'm in Bendigo & unlike the previous lessons you've received you will learn how to use it.

here's a tip don't think that doing heaps of diigging is wasting time, each time you dig you will be learning. Yes it seems that way at first but believe me you will learn. Also great place to learn is Tot lots(playgrounds) nearly always find some change in them as well as rubbish. when at playground with bark I don't dig any further than bark. Also bark playgrounds offer little resistance so don't take long to dig. Beaches also good. I live in pakenham but can not drive at present (recent Op & currently have arm in sling) other wise would try & give you some tips. I don't know your particluar machine but have two detector's of my own. I also join a club when I started & you will learn heaps through one them. The club I am in meats at doveton senior citz halls second wednesday of each month except Dec/ Jan if you are interested. They also go on monthly camps to goldfields. joining fee is $35-$40 per year but you are welcome to come down and have a look see if you like it. I will be able to assist you shortly after Xmas if still needed then let me know.

Lenton Hard Question & it depends what you want detector to find. Also depends on budget. So without know these variables I don't suggest any single unit.

Thanks everyone,
Budget <$800 preferably as low as possible but still be able to detect Gold nuggets.
Normally go with just with a river sluice to Sofala/Hill end area.
But wish to try the detector side of fosicking
Not too worried if a 2nd hand one is the best option( in good condition)
Had one for my Daughter years ago was only $75 but found more tin cans, lead pellets etc
Are there any clubs near Wollongong?

I can help with a brand spanking new machine for you mate.

Fisher Goldbug (5"DD) - $499
Fisher Goldbug pro (5" DD) - $649
Fisher Goldbug Pro DP (11" DD) - $699
Fisher Goldbug Pro Combo (11" & 5" DD) - $749
Fisher F70 (10" DD) - $649
Fisher F70 (11" DD) - $679
Fisher F70 (10" & 11" DD) - $749
Teknetics G2 (11" DD) - $799

Shipping $25
Now that should give you some nice research. If you have any questions give me a call 040029116

Found a Garrett AT-GOLD 5x 8" coil at metaldetector.com for US$800.65 delivered (DHL)
+ Garret 10" Backpackers Gold Pan, Gold guzzler bottle, Recovery Tweezers, Magnifier,
and two gold coletion Vials.
with a bonus pack of Unbreakable Composite trowel, First aid kit, pro LED Treasure light,
Pro treasure rain coat, Two reale Gold Doubloon Replica coins and Treasure Magazine Collector back issues.
I gather that would be a good deal?

Lenton said:
Thanks Again
Sorry to ask more questions, what coil size is best?
That depends on how deep you want to go, what your looking for and how sensitive you want it to the small stuff. I love the stock 5x8" DD coil that comes with the AT-GOLD and use it the most, I also have an additional much larger 9x12" concentric coil as well as a much smaller 4.5" coil, and each serve a different purpose.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like :)

Lenton said:
Found a Garrett AT-GOLD 5x 8" coil at metaldetector.com for US$800.65 delivered (DHL)
+ Garret 10" Backpackers Gold Pan, Gold guzzler bottle, Recovery Tweezers, Magnifier,
and two gold coletion Vials.
with a bonus pack of Unbreakable Composite trowel, First aid kit, pro LED Treasure light,
Pro treasure rain coat, Two reale Gold Doubloon Replica coins and Treasure Magazine Collector back issues.
I gather that would be a good deal?

That deal doesnt sound too bad, just be sure to shop around and check on warranty conditions when buying from a US dealer.

Latest posts