You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

TheFossickingKid
28 September 2014 09:15 am

1411855990_image.jpg
Found these at the turon river yesterday. Was just wondering if I should crush them or try cracking them open.

I'm just one kid with a pan, 3 sieves, a school built Highbanker, and 1 sluice.

3 users like this post: joao garimpeiro, silver, tailormarc

AtomRat
28 September 2014 09:33 am

Hi there mate, I'm not positive, but I do not feel that the rocks you have there are of any use, you are after milky white quartz, large, with iron ( orange or red ) inclusions, crystals and pyrites / semi-metals on the rock you want to crush.

These seem more like river rocks, BUT they are telling you that quartz is nearby. Keep searching and find where the quartz gets larger. ONLY chase quartz if you know gold is in the area, otherwise you are just chasing quartz.

Pretty much, if you find some nice deposit of gold, you will find nice quartz and sometimes specimen quartz.

Another thing to keep in mind is, those rocks are rounded, meaning they have traveled a long way to become that shape. Reef quartz is very sharp and jagged as it has not been through a creek or eroded down a hill for long.

Where are you searching and how? Can you post a photo of the area you are looking and I will see if I can help out!

Wisdom is knowing how little you know

1 user likes this post: Metamorphic

HeadsUp
28 September 2014 10:25 am

if you have a metal detector you would test for a signal from the rocks

if no signal then its no gold

if you get a signal its either gold , iron or other magnetic elements

from my moderate experience gold can occur in milky white quartz that has black veins through it , can also occur in light brown coloured quartz , or mixture of cream to brown colours

On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

Gregupnorth
28 September 2014 12:15 pm

HI all, Just adding on to what HeadsUp has posted about using a metal detector to test if your rocks contain gold. Your minelab pulse induction machine will generally be able to pick up gold down to about .2 of a gram if the gold is solid and with a small coil and the right settings The new ML 2300 go's one better as it can pick up more porous tinny bits the other pi's cannot see.
A better machine to use is a vlf machine to look for specimen gold but are more subject to a lose in sensitivity and depth in mineralized ground. In my opinion the best two machine for this is the Gold bug 2 or your Whites GMT
BUT The best machine to use to test rock samples is the Falcon MD20 . It dose not go deep but will pick up targets that you may need a magnifying glass to see or you may need to break it open to see the target .
Failing all that you could just put it in a dolly pot and pan it off. Cheers Greg cool

1 user likes this post: ArmstrongIndustries

WalnLiz
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
28 September 2014 12:45 pm

Save these ones for the garden TFK. Can I suggest looking under this same heading...Hard Rock Prospecting, and following Darryns thread "Types of rocks to look for". This will help shine some light on the types of rock to keep an eye out for. wink

Cheers Wal.

Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

2 users like this post: Metamorphic, joao garimpeiro

Goldtarget
28 September 2014 07:56 pm

Got some pics of "bucky" quartz that came from a bearing reef I'll try and get them up for you buddy so you have something to study stay tuned.

TheFossickingKid
28 September 2014 08:51 pm

Alright sounds good. Thanks Wal I just quikley thought "oh there's some quartz veins through these rocks I'll take them home and put them on prospecting Australia". Thanks everyone will keep this info. smile

WalnLiz
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
28 September 2014 09:38 pm

Always a great idea to check out all the rocks with quartz within them TFK as this will gain you the experience to isolate the gold bearing ones. The best ones to concentrate on are the quartz varieties within reefs, though occasionally some river warn rocks will contain gold, they are generally not the ones to concentrate on. Best of luck out there mate,

Cheers Wal.

Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

1 user likes this post: loamer

TheFossickingKid
28 September 2014 10:09 pm

Thanks for that Wal I can't wait to get some gold bearing quartz rock It would look good in the collection. Will keep an eye out for the odd shape and size rocks that have quartz veins through them next time I go out.

WalnLiz
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
28 September 2014 10:13 pm

Let me know when you can get to one of our outings TFK, and I will give you a sample with gold in it to put into your collection. wink Keep those eyes to the ground mate.

Cheers Wal.

2 users like this post: Metamorphic, silver

TheFossickingKid
28 September 2014 10:22 pm

Yep sounds good will tell you when we will be able to go out but won't be until after October thanks Wal!

~Angus

1 user likes this post: WalnLiz

ArmstrongIndustries
Armstrong Industries
Armstrong Industries
05 October 2014 02:57 am

Hey mate,
Here is some gold in quartz I got recently that might help you out on what you should be looking for. The second photo is of a mixture of quartz and ironstone specimens I got last month.
1412438018_image.jpg
1412438070_image.jpg

14 users like this post: joao garimpeiro, dwt, Retirement Stone, noncents, Oldfella, WalnLiz, Chewy, Heatho, silver, gold420, BigWave, TTKooAu, Digginholes, tailormarc

dwt
05 October 2014 09:02 am

Now thats what i dream of every night i don on my cotton sox and crawl into bed...............................that and and a bunch of sexy girls in bikini's holding the pan lol, oh crap!!! here comes the mrs, gotta go big_smile

swing it..dig it...wash it...pan it...LOVE IT..

2 users like this post: ArmstrongIndustries, silver

ProspectorPete
05 October 2014 09:23 am

dwt wrote:

Now thats what i dream of every night i don on my cotton sox and crawl into bed...............................that and and a bunch of sexy girls in bikini's holding the pan lol, oh crap!!! here comes the mrs, gotta go big_smile

lol

Awesome pic's there ArmstrongIndustries, helps us noobies know what to be searching for thanks.

GPX 4500 NF Evo sP01, Makro GR.

1 user likes this post: ArmstrongIndustries

Jaros
05 October 2014 10:15 am

dwt wrote:

Gotta keep your hands warm somehow like Dr Ironwood. big_smile

Lottsa hope :F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250,Aldi detector, ? detector,Garmin Etrex30, 2 sieves,2 pans,2 sluices, Nugget sniffing Cocker Spaniel. X-Pointer PI by Deteknix, Jobe Knife, Leschke Shovel, Pro-swing 45 Harness, Treasuremate 11 Amp.Gurney gusunder. VK4NLS

1 user likes this post: dwt

Goldtarget
05 October 2014 10:37 am

Haha, "Hello GGT, do I have an idea for you!"
I think your onto something DWT.

shortlife
18 July 2015 10:24 pm

Ìll begoing back and collecting the rocks iv been throwing to the side when working a river. Loveing the info on this site

1 user likes this post: silver

DeathKiss
Banned
Banned
30 August 2016 12:41 pm

ArmstrongIndustries wrote:

Hey mate,
Here is some gold in quartz I got recently that might help you out on what you should be looking for. The second photo is of a mixture of quartz and ironstone specimens I got last month.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … _image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … _image.jpg

oh my .... yikes

MT Alexander : https://goo.gl/rS1rgx - Deptford : https://goo.gl/fw6y4u
Soon i`ll find the biggest nugget ...... if i start looking for it smile

1 user likes this post: Wishfull

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site