Rock advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1411696191_image.jpg

Hi fossicking,

Dude its hard to tell just from a pic of your rock if anything is nearby.....its so much more involved than that. If it were that easy, we would all be rich!

Sort of like how long is a piece of string?

I know its not what you want to hear.

From what I can see it looks like a piece of discolored quartz (quartzite) but im not sure. If so this is a good sign, but I cant see anything promising in it just from its pic, but obviously from a well known gold bearing area.

Have you run a detector over it, or the surrounding area it was found?

What is the surrounding structure like? Lots of Quartz cap rock?

Your best bet maybe to crush and pan it, then count any colors you may get.
If you get more than 8 specks of color in your pan, its an area worth investigating further. ;)

Regards

Thanks for that metamorphic I know a spot where I can find bigger ones that. It's kind of a sandstone rock that is really,really fine sandstone put together to form that rock. I hit some of the rock of it and it has shiny black stuff through the middle of the rock. Interesting! :)

Dikes typically form vertically between older igneous rock, usually from the Palaeozoic era.

Being most lava formations in Victoria are from the ordovician period (much older) its probably unlikely but i guess possible, since the last volcanic eruption in Vic was around 7000 years ago.... but im only guessing!

Could also be a 'sill' intrusion.

Cheers ;)

Looks like a brecciated intrusion zone to me. there appears to be bits of the country rock included in the intrusion. but its hard to tell with the overexposed section from the light being right in the middle of the picture. Can you give us a hint as to where the photo was taken, (apart from underground )

Jethro