Types of rocks to look for?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buzz said:
Hey Meta I need some advice on some quartz I found thats looks very interesting, these were found in the same spot. The ground soil was a reddish looking compared to closer by and was on a slope . The tops of the rocks were just protruding the soil surface. There are some metallic specs in them but haven't got a rock crusher yet to smash 'em up. Are they or the area looking promising? Cheers

They look favorable but there is only one sure fire way to tell......

Break em open into smaller bits and visually inspect again, if no visible gold you should test what your able to, through crushing and then panning it off.

if you get color in the pan (around 8 or more specs) then the area warrants further investigation in my opinion!

Good luck ;)

20xwater said:
hi mate, because of what you said about the 8 colours per pan i thought i would dolly up a sample of reef i found a earlyer this year for a colour count...

19 bits in total...ide like to know what you think from what you see? :cool:

What do I think?

I think that amount of color warrants you to take a long weekend, a tent, some supplies and work that area some more!
Dont leave it mate.

Great pics and splendid work there water. :cool:

Cheers

Metamorphic said:
20xwater said:
hi mate, because of what you said about the 8 colours per pan i thought i would dolly up a sample of reef i found a earlyer this year for a colour count...

19 bits in total...ide like to know what you think from what you see? :cool:

What do I think?

I think that amount of color warrants you to take a long weekend, a tent, some supplies and work that area some more!
Dont leave it mate.

Great pics and splendid work there water. :cool:

Cheers

thanks mate, the sample ive shown here is actually some more i got from last time i went there. you have actually re-activated my interest on this ey :cool: . i shared this discovery when i just started doing gold.

'Quartz reef gold bearing' is the post.

a question that couild save me digging many cubes of overburden to get to it would be to know how wide a slate fault zone can be?

cheers :cool:

ps...my first prospecting trip went for 6 months and ive only just come home a couple of weeks ago...after xmas is game on for the eluvial :cool:

1413796404_20140630_202209.png

1413796426_20140606_221536.jpg

Check these out Metamorphic, found in creek bed after catastrophic weather event blasting a creek out.

1413797562_20141020_192807.png

20xwater said:
a question that couild save me digging many cubes of overburden to get to it would be to know how wide a slate fault zone can be?

Hehe, nice try water!

Mate if I could tell you how to avoid overburden, I would be the Messiah of the mining industry and a very wealthy man!

Its more a question of how deep, not how wide....know what i mean?

20xwater said:
ps...my first prospecting trip went for 6 months and ive only just come home a couple of weeks ago...after xmas is game on for the eluvial :cool:

Thats simply awesome dude, your a true prospector and your going to find it.....keep working hard and above all, let us know how you go ok!

Regards ;)

GoldCheddar2005 said:
Check these out Metamorphic, found in creek bed after catastrophic weather event blasting a creek out.

I love it, a prospector who takes advantage of mother nature....this gives you an edge that works to your advantage and stacks the odds in your favour!

Thats what its all about ;)

Good luck!

Metamorphic said:
20xwater said:

Hehe, nice try water!

Mate if I could tell you how to avoid overburden, I would be the Messiah of the mining industry and a very wealthy man!

Its more a question of how deep, not how wide....know what i mean?

20xwater said:

Thats simply awesome dude, your a true prospector and your going to find it.....keep working hard and above all, let us know how you go ok!

Regards ;)

lol...yeah i know what ya mean, and that feeds new thought....i cant remember the foliation direction of the bedrock(basalt) close by. im trying to create an image of the matrix in my head from observations ive made. from memory the foliation direction of the slate is like north/south and ive chased a few stringers hundreds of meters both east and west sides of the slate obviously running through the bedrock. rock foliation directions dont govern/steer veins and stringer directions ey? :cool:

I have only prospected in Victoria and have found that foliation in Slate reefs, sandstone, granite etc, commonly run North/South with slight variations to the NNW/SSE. (In fact, in all my observations)

Veins, stringers, leaders, shoots and the like running from these reefs, are generally not determined by foliation structure, but rather by 'secondary' faulting/sheering etc through a re occurrence of hydro-thermal activity many moons ago, after the original reef had been formed!

These features are generally higher in concentration of precious metals as they have had a secondary enrichment.

Cheers ;)

Tip: Bends and turns in a vein are the most likely places for gold to accumulate.
In the formation of veins, as the fluid silica, (quartz) passes a corner it creates a static charge, and this in turn creates gold deposits.....usually! hehe
Changes in the host rock along the veins are also important, any natural formations where these 'fluid flows' meet resistance and become 'trapped' are vital area's.

:cool:
Metamorphic said:
I have only prospected in Victoria and have found that foliation in Slate reefs, sandstone, granite etc, commonly run North/South with slight variations to the NNW/SSE. (In fact, in all my observations)

Veins, stringers, leaders, shoots and the like running from these reefs, are generally not determined by foliation structure, but rather by 'secondary' faulting/sheering etc through a re occurrence of hydro-thermal activity many moons ago, after the original reef had been formed!

These features are generally higher in concentration of precious metals as they have had a secondary enrichment.

Cheers ;)

Tip: Bends and turns in a vein are the most likely places for gold to accumulate.
In the formation of veins, as the fluid silica, (quartz) passes a corner it creates a static charge, and this in turn creates gold deposits.....usually! hehe
Changes in the host rock along the veins are also important, any natural formations where these 'fluid flows' meet resistance and become 'trapped' are vital area's.

roger that mate...was thinking last night that if i join the dots of the stringer/vien direction and where that line crosses the slate reef line direction is where i will dig down first and hope to find what should be there...digging for the 'x' that marks the spot through up to about 4 meters of top soil is ganna be fun :lol:

might need to get one of ryans little grinder crushers cause i got about 200kg of it in the shed to play with :cool:

Yes, sounds like a logical first sink location.

Test top soil samples on the way down, if color in your pan increases with every foot dug, your heading the right way and maybe onto something.

If not, it may not be worth the energy on that sink.....if its down in that spot of the reef, it will have shed color in the alluvial coverings, hopefully, but its not a given.

200kg to crush?.....crikey, the power company may think your growing weed lol.

Metamorphic said:
Yes, sounds like a logical first sink location.

Test top soil samples on the way down, if color in your pan increases with every foot dug, your heading the right way and maybe onto something.

If not, it may not be worth the energy on that sink.....if its down in that spot of the reef, it will have shed color in the alluvial coverings, hopefully, but its not a given.

200kg to crush?.....crikey, the power company may think your growing weed lol.

its on the face of a about 35 degree mountain face, slate foliation direction straight up-hill. i found it from digging and highbanking fine and flour gold below as i was working my way up and in towards bedrock and thats how i also discovered the slate. the problem is that from what i think ive worked out is that ive been sluicing both flour gold from an old river bed and fines shed from the reef under it all.

the whole situation is a bit of a nightmare really and probly why its still there but i think its just kool to wonder the what if's and do some prospecting from home in my head. i'll allways enjoy going back there just for the flour gold and who knows maybe one day down the track i'll get the answers.

thanks for the discussion on this anyway mate cause you have helped :cool:

yep...200 kg's of it to crush...all the same stuff as the pick above...there seems to be more colour in the bits that are mainly slate with really thin veins than the thicker orange/pink stuff...its actually for my girlfriend to play with ey...she loves it :cool:

Thank you also Water, I have enjoyed the discussion and learnt from it also.
Its what makes a great forum.

I like what your doing, the way you think about it and your attitude towards it.
It is sure to bring you great success's along the way.

Good luck mate, and never yield to despair!

P.S Apologies Darren for hijacking your thread, but thanks for laying the basis of helpful discussion on these topics :) (how is the crushing going?)

Regards

Hi Metamorphic.

No problems especially if we are all able to learn something new. I know every little bit helps me as im sure with everyone else. You know what you're talking about and its nice for you to share that information on this forum. I know how appreciated I am and im sure there are many more out there that are to. From the questions asked and answered to people who are just reading the information being provided.

The crushing I've just started again as I have only just gone back to that slate with the veins going through. Forgot my camera my phone my compass and maps to track it all out. Heading back in a week or so just to get the information.

Once complete I will put the information up and photos.

Thanks again
Regards
Darryn :D