Types of rocks to look for?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darryn said:
Hey Metamorphic

I've just tried to open up the keep and share files but its saying that you need to give my account name 'thebrez' rights to view these documents in your Share Control

Thanks regards Darryn

Just sign up and then log in, this should give you access.

I just make a dummy gmail account so you wont run the risk of getting your main account spamed!

If you still have drama's let me know and I will PM you details to grab it ;)

These PDF's are digitalized writings from the Old Timers that I got from the State Library.....fantastic, invaluable info, worth their megabytes in gold ;)

Hi Darryn,

One of our recent 'Mullock heap' finds in a trip out with Big Nugget to one of our favorite spots!

Gold intrusion within a large quartz piece the old boys threw out, nothing visible from the outside but was only revealed after breaking her up.
Gave a good signal on the GMT and the TDI pro!

This is just one piece chipped off and is still a work in progress......Contained a lot of other minerals which dissolved together in the original solution such as, copper, Bismuth, palladium etc

This is what you want to be crushing!

htwc1z.jpg

bevqtk.png

;)

Metamorphic said:
Hi Darryn,

One of our recent 'Mullock heap' finds in a trip out with Big Nugget to one of our favorite spots!

Gold intrusion within a large quartz piece the old boys threw out, nothing visible from the outside but was only revealed after breaking her up.
Gave a good signal on the GMT and the TDI pro!

This is just one piece chipped off and is still a work in progress......Contained a lot of other minerals which dissolved together in the original solution such as, copper, Bismuth, palladium etc

This is what you want to be crushing!

http://i61.tinypic.com/htwc1z.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/bevqtk.png

;)
What did you get out of these rocks mate? Any photos?

That looks bloody fantastic

Great photos. I have a piece which i got from Moonta while on holiday that looks just like these photos. Found it in the carpark when i got out of the car.

1411891690_snap_1.jpg

this is part of it

1411891756_snap_2.jpg

And another

I also just tried to open that file again but still no luck :|

AtomRat said:
What did you get out of these rocks mate? Any photos?

Hope to post the pics of the glass vials on the scales soon for ya mate!

Still dollying, panning and snuffing in between commitments!

And if you saw my panning technique??......well lets just say there are better out there!

Cheers

Darryn said:
I have a piece which i got from Moonta while on holiday that looks just like these photos. Found it in the carpark when i got out of the car.

Great Works Darryn......Looks promising mate ;)

hi Metamorphic
i hope you dont mind but i have just tried to download the PDF files that you have posted, but got the same response as darren, that you need to give rights to my user name "Bookamc4".
I'm new to this hobby and can use all the help i can get, the utube links are great, it is fantastic how you and everyone else on this and other website are willing to help out us newbies.
At the moment i'm happy just relic hunting and a bit of panning "five specs in five mounths and the hunger grows", but hopefuly one day i might get to an area were i can have a go finding some decent yellow stuff.
thankyou
kind regards
boyd

Giday Metamorphic Thanks for the info and photos.
On my last trip I picked up a few pieces in a gully but did notice and rock looked a bit unusual up one side of the gully, but it was starting to get dark and I was leaving next morning. Now home and looking at your photos of the foliation in ironstone and I am thinking that's what it looks just like. So now am really looking forward now to getting back there. Cheers Greg :cool:

bmzgold said:
hi Metamorphic
i hope you dont mind but i have just tried to download the PDF files that you have posted, but got the same response as darren, that you need to give rights to my user name "Bookamc4".

Sorry all, my bad.

Copy and paste the URL below and it should bring you to my share page. Any PDF uploads are located in 'Files' on the left side nav tree!

goldstarprospecting.keepandshare.com

bmzgold said:
I'm new to this hobby and can use all the help i can get, the utube links are great, it is fantastic how you and everyone else on this and other website are willing to help out us newbies.

Always glad to help if im able Boyd!
As are the other members here.

Never be afraid to ask any forum members here a question no matter how dumb it may sound.....thats how we all learn!

bmzgold said:
At the moment i'm happy just relic hunting and a bit of panning "five specs in five mounths and the hunger grows", but hopefuly one day i might get to an area were i can have a go finding some decent yellow stuff.
thankyou
kind regards
boyd

Warning: Once you catch the dreaded Gold Fever, there is no cure!

Be persistent, keep researching your area, make google your friend, and learn to read the ground (structure etc)

Remember gold is never easily found and there will be times when you feel like giving up after no success.....Get back on the horse and never yield to despair!

The yellow shall one day be yours then mate!

Hope my share page works this time!

Cheers :)

Gregupnorth said:
On my last trip I picked up a few pieces in a gully but did notice and rock looked a bit unusual up one side of the gully, but it was starting to get dark and I was leaving next morning. Now home and looking at your photos of the foliation in ironstone and I am thinking that's what it looks just like. So now am really looking forward now to getting back there. Cheers Greg :cool:

Good work Greg...

Its all about structure mate!

Once structure is right, learn about loaming and how to identify any 'indicators' or 'leaders' and know what 'Drainage' means! (These are whole other topics in themselves)

This wont concern alluvial prospectors ofcourse, but if chasing the 'primary source' is your thing, then its helpful to know.

Cheers

Mr Metamorphic,
ive been shaft sinking at home (waterwell aka wine cellar :8 ) and found tiny pieces of gold from crushings (purely by accident :eek: ), recently the mrs got inspired to put in her large horse arena :rolleyes: , and whilst out checking the area with my detector ( for lost car keys :| ) i stumbled accross quartz with green stone, this is the first time i have located this on our property, if (hypothetically) i was going to mine in a certain direction would i head towards the source of the quartz with greenstone or in the oppisite direction, i have read somewhere that the green stone was a good sign that the reef carrying this was more of an indicator than host rock, the ground that has shown promise is nothing more than 2-5mm wide stringers of quartz in sandstone, very difficult to decifer which way or from where it is originating 8)
I would greatly appreciate your assistiance,
Kind regards
dwt

HI Metamorphic

Just thought I'd let you know i got that reading material from you.

Thank you very much

Regards Darryn

P.S Waiting for your pictures of what you got out of that rock :) . I'm not sure if i want to crush mine sample or not. Think I like it the way it is :D

Awesome read Metamorphic...thanks for sharing the info and for your willingness to help out new chums :D

Cheers

dwt said:
Mr Metamorphic,
ive been shaft sinking at home (waterwell aka wine cellar :8 ) and found tiny pieces of gold from crushings (purely by accident :eek: ), recently the mrs got inspired to put in her large horse arena :rolleyes: , and whilst out checking the area with my detector ( for lost car keys :| ) i stumbled accross quartz with green stone, this is the first time i have located this on our property, if (hypothetically) i was going to mine in a certain direction would i head towards the source of the quartz with greenstone or in the oppisite direction, i have read somewhere that the green stone was a good sign that the reef carrying this was more of an indicator than host rock, the ground that has shown promise is nothing more than 2-5mm wide stringers of quartz in sandstone, very difficult to decifer which way or from where it is originating 8)
I would greatly appreciate your assistiance,
Kind regards
dwt

G'day dwt

Greenstone hey?.... or Greenschist as we know it, is a good sign coupled with quartz. Definitely Metamorphic and was once an ancient deep sea lava!
This would make sense in Eppalock as the whole area surrounding Bendigo, Castlemaine, Maldon was once an ancient seabed.
The downside to this much water is that the source is possibly miles away.

Not sure of the layout of your property, any ranges or changes in elevation, small hills etc?

These spurs, or the brows of any upward elevation should first receive attention for veins, especially if any of the stringers head that way, or rather come from that way.

Even if you find a vein it may be barren, and there is still no guarantee it will be gold bearing, but seeing you have color in your pan from samples crushed already, this means its likely possible.
You just wont know till you test.

I would start by visually inspecting any high points of elevation and then move to testing samples around the bases of any of these points (loaming) and work my way up, counting the colors in the pan after each test.
As you know, If your going to sink a shaft, its best to spend time on the slow, painful but precise, exercise of loaming, sinking trial shafts or boring before deciding on where your going to main sink.

Without the fancy gear for drilling, the art of loaming is the only way I know to hone in on a primary gold source, but you may have another testing method available to you!

Its slow and labour intensive, but is a sure business for anyone intent on finding that source.

http://emdisrv.com/loaming.html

There are a couple of PDF hints from the old timers on the art of loaming in my share folder goldstarprospecting.keepandshare.com

I hope this helps

Cheers mate ;)

Ahhhh, making perfect sense to me now, top end of our property see's two (visible) quartz reefs, both are visible at the high points on the property, one in particular is running in conjunction with ironstone, this is the one i have been paying more attention to.
The reefs are running Nnw with about a 80mt gap between the 2, one reef has very bully (ghost) looking quartz while the other futher to the west, is more translucent looking, from mining reports in "the day" not far away was an operating mine which was recovering fine gold at 90', the reports go on to say the quartz was quite clear with an almost crystal like appearence to it.
There are quite a few loaming holes in the property and apparantly the old timers were supposed to be mining an old lead somewhere in this area, but with farming taking over land clearing and leveling, its almost become impossible to read the ground and nut out what the old timers were up to.
As for sinking test holes, i hope to have that area coverd pretty soon. :D
thanks for your help mate if anything else pops to mind by all means post it up, i have no probs drilling and blasting it, just never been able to work out the how's and why's of it :)
ill post some pics

I may be wrong (as the wife often says), but the last pics look to be a permeable sedimentary sandstone type, coupled with ironstone intrusion

These bubbly type structures have spaces between the grains that can hold air and water, and allow air and
water to flow through so being porous (spaces between the grains) they give the liquids and gases a flow path.

Atmospheric pressure on the surface of the water then pushes water into the spaces left behind by air.
The water then flows into the bottom of these samples, as the air rises to the top.

This may, or may not indicate its possible you might strike a water table if you sink deep enough aiming to hit bedrock in the area these originated, or these structures are actually part of the bedrock?

Sorry, didnt realize you had actually discovered the cropping quartz reefs already.....good work!

Yes, I would be concentrating on the ironstone with quartz intrusion, but you mention 2 reefs?
The direction you mention as NNW and obviously SSE is perfect stucture direction for Sheers, foliation etc
Could it all be part of the one reef that dips deeply into the ground for 80mt before cropping again, or are they more side by side 80mt apart.

If inline geographically, these dipping parts should receive more attention as you test and yes.....test both ways NNW and SSE.
Until you get nothing in one direction, then head in the other, as the gold count rises you will know your on the right path.
Sometimes test results can drop off and then re-instate again further along, but you get the picture!

Looks like the area shows great promise and thats why the old timers were there! Maybe the vein dips were too deep for them to access but could be where the gold is. Anyway you have a major advantage, you have ANFO!

Remember to brace the flat screen TV before you det. :p

Good luck mate, keep us posted ;)

Metamorphic said:
Gregupnorth said:

Good work Greg...

Its all about structure mate!

Once structure is right, learn about loaming and how to identify any 'indicators' or 'leaders' and know what 'Drainage' means! (These are whole other topics in themselves)

This wont concern alluvial prospectors ofcourse, but if chasing the 'primary source' is your thing, then its helpful to know.

Cheers
Giday Metamorphic I am mostly chasing alluvial but when you find over 10 small nuggets in a gully then nothing further up one must think it shedding in somewhere close by back down where near where we found the 10 bits
On your next trip I will detect up the gully hill sides and take soil and wash samples for panning. and hopefully end up finding the where it is shedding from..
One thing up here I notice in the ground I work is redder the better in finding alluvial gold. Cheers Greg :cool:

Latest posts