Billabong Blue vs Seven Oaks, Inverell Sapphires.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weekend I was up at Inverell and was planning on going to Billabong Blue, but I soon realized that it was closed for the weekend for some reason. So I ended up going to Seven Oaks for the Sat/Sunday and Billabong Blue on the Monday. This post is mainly about which I think is the better of the two and in my opinion its Billabong Blue. It just seems a lot more professional in pretty much every aspect (eg, camping grounds, office, sapphire area) and the people who run it are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. Not to mention the fact that Billabong Blue was a lot more productive than Seven Oaks in terms of sapphires/zircon/topaz. I found that the gems at Billabong Blue were more commonly clear, larger and also there was a nice variety in comparison. Seven Oaks is still a nice place to go but if I am to head back up to the Inverell area (Which I will ;) ) I will be going to Billabong Blue.

Also, the stones we got were still mainly bombs showing a little bit of colour on a torch... Not sure if there's any cutters but some are quite nice.
I also purchased 5 of Billabong Blue's buckets of wash for $20 ea that are guaranteed to have a cutter in them so when I get them in 3 weeks or so (Couldn't bring them all on the plane, getting them dropped off by a relative) I'll post a picture of the cutters.

Here are the potential cutters from the one bucket I could bring home. Topaz 5ct Zircon 3ct Sapphire 3ct.
1411440798_cutter1.jpg
1411440819_cutter4.jpg

we just spent a few days at billabong 2 weeks ago . couldn't figure out the "geology " of the sieve dirt for the tourist park . while we got a good few sapphire in the dirt , they were all junk stone. the dirt for the commercial mine below was totally different. had a look where the tourist dirt comes from and couldn't find a colour or chip, but still feel there is good potential for stone . we sieved very hard for 4 days without a cutter, but came home with 300 grams of fractured clouded colour.

I was at Billabong on Saturday it was open. I'll post some pictures when I get the stones cleaned.

Cheers

I've not tried 7oaks, I only really go to BB, everyone I've spoken with who has tried both say BB is best. Hangin to get back up there.

Billabong and google updates / old sites don't come together .. Dont trust the web when country folk ate running sites!...:) not generalising ..maybe a little bit:)

Inverell stones... Wish dogtooth was worthwhile to cut ... No return and look good as they are :)so will stay thata way :)
1411481087_image.jpg

It did seem a bit strange that they would be closed on a weekend... Anyways nice dogtooths you have there, I managed to grab a few decent ones at Seven Oaks.

Hi all, I am of to inverelle this weekend and I am so so exited I was going to 7 oaks but from this post I read is it really better to go to billaong blue people please let me know, I have a 4 wheel drive now so were driving up, please tell me what one for the best biggest clearest gems to go to camp, and if I camp at one were are the best little creeks for the best tsaphires, please help as I am so exited I am living my dream! :rainbow:

Catherinecrystals777 said:
Hi all, I am of to inverelle this weekend and I am so so exited I was going to 7 oaks but from this post I read is it really better to go to billaong blue people please let me know, I have a 4 wheel drive now so were driving up, please tell me what one for the best biggest clearest gems to go to camp, and if I camp at one were are the best little creeks for the best tsaphires, please help as I am so exited I am living my dream! :rainbow:

Billabong Blue is excellent for beginners or experienced gem hunters. They have a tourist pile where you're almost guaranteed to find a few stones or you can dig in and around the creek that flows through the property. Billabong Blue is actually on Frazers Creek which is one of the better creeks to fossick on. Camping is available onsite, it has flush toilets and bush showers.

Hi All

Just revisiting this topic again as I'm thinking of going the Billabong Blue in October. For those of you who have been there is it worthwhile to spend a couple of days digging. Is the dirt stockpile worthy to look through or is it just their discarded thirds (quality). And the creek, are you allowed to dig anywhere on the creek or just a certain section. How far does the property go on the creek and are the dirt roads 2wd motorhome friendly. I just don't want to waste my time on a few stones for the effort. I can move a heaps of dirt and sieve just as much so not worried about the effort, just the reward. Any mud maps of Billabong Blue wold be helpful (I don't want your secret spot) just the likely area. I'll know myself pretty quickly if the spots are any good or not. I have message Billabong Blue through their Facebook page but their information is conflicting and they never answer my questions properly, only confusing me. So I thought I'd ask the experts, you. :beer: ;)

Pretty much yes to all your questions. Anywhere along the creek has good potential, luck on the day really though. Even the pile has the occasional nice cutter.

Definitely worth a visit in my opinion, have had many good times there.

Latest posts