starting up /remining a old mine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A current mine superintendant told me 7-12 grams can be afforable for a 3 to 5 man show, 15 grams is not to bad, have you tried punching in some sludging holes? or is it just to hard to get a air leg and water/air down to the level your working at? :)
53mm button bit with extension steels can give you a good idea as to whats ahead, lets not forget what happend at Bendigo (Unity) Mining some years back. :eek:

dwt said:
A current mine superintendant told me 7-12 grams can be afforable for a 3 to 5 man show, 15 grams is not to bad, have you tried punching in some sludging holes? or is it just to hard to get a air leg and water/air down to the level your working at? :)
53mm button bit with extension steels can give you a good idea as to whats ahead, lets not forget what happend at Bendigo (Unity) Mining some years back. :eek:
I'm trying to work out how many CFM's I need to operate air tools at 200 feet ?
Also what is the best way to manage dust at depth ?
Cheers Ryan

Ryan27 said:
dwt said:
I'm trying to work out how many CFM's I need to operate air tools at 200 feet ?
Also what is the best way to manage dust at depth ?
Cheers Ryan
You might already have this but i thought i would post it any how, this is all relevant as long as you know the cfm of your air tools.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html
the only way to manage dust is water, sprays, misters, knapsack's while your drilling holes with non conventional underground drilling gear. ;)

http://www.concretecare.com.au/index.php?fuseaction=product.view&productid=482&ctu=1&type=Air Cleaner&lvl=2

1412554662_190037.jpg

Did you go a full Mining Licence or will you be mining under a Prospecting Licence?
Are you doing the work plan, rehab plan & community engagement plan yourself or have/will you use a professional service for this?
How do they calculate your rehab bond in Victoria? Do they take into account that it is a previously mined site that was not rehabilitated or are you expected to fully rehab the area now you will resume mining there? Rehab would be minimal on the surface but what will they require for the old shaft/s etc. when you finish up? Do they need to be sealed or otherwise made safe?
Sorry for the questions but just interested, as I'm sure others are & it gets asked on here from time to time, in the process involved in getting to the stage of mining on a small scale basis that you blokes seem to be at now.
Sounds exciting & daunting at the same time. Looks like you will do alright there though once you blokes are sorted. Good luck with it.

good questions mbasko, I'm interested too. With all the red tape needed to get through it sounds like its too hard for anyone to even bother with a small mine.

Good on you guys for having the determination to battle though all the crap and have a go. Hope it works out well for everyone involved and pays well

cheers

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
So far samples have been taken from one part of the reef. SG tests have been done that suggests it is a payable reef under the right circumstances. The Assay results suggest that most of the gold must be extracted using UFG and possably chemicals.
Before any commitment to leases, recovery bonds, companies limited by shares, infrastructure etc,etc...
I will be doing a cost recovery analysis, coupled with a feasibility study. If the $$$ add up and are a better investment than buying the physical metal at its bargain price at the moment. Largely this is a guess considering test drilling is not going to be undertaken.
Well then maybe we will have a crack at finding the mother load.
Until then we will continue sampling and prospecting under our miners right, because we are using very old timer primitive methods to collect our samples.
Cheers Ryan

Fair enough. HTY said ya's had a mining lease/claim already so was interested in the process. Looks like your still in pre feasibility/feasibility stage so will still be interested to see how it pans out if you do go ahead. Victoria does seem to have an easier/smoother process than NSW for small scale mining with the Prospecting Licence option.
You might need to find a primitive Cornish blaster to make it easier to collect samples with the pick & shovel :lol:

Having a successful mining lease in Vic is difficult however not impossible. I have been speaking to a guy who has recently finished a mining lease and is about to start another and he has been very successful.
It does help having a steel fabrication business. Infrastructure is easier to afford when you can build the mine yourself. Making the transition from prospector to full time miner may sound like a romantic adventure, however if you don't approach it as a business with real money on the line and hard work then the venture will inevitably end in tears.
I think some of the key ingredients to a successful mine operation are:
1. You must have a payable ORE.
2. Have some business skills.
3. A safe work environment.
4. The right crushing equipment in good order.
5. You have to be able to fix s#*t when it breaks.
6. Good gold recovery equipment.
7. A sound mine plan. Including exit plan.
8. Working Capitol.
9. Industry contacts eg geologists, experienced prospectors/miners, gold buyers.
10. Did I mention luck ?
These are just a few things to think about before giving up your day job.
And it doesn't hurt to have another option if things don't work out. All the eggs in one basket scenario.
I think sometimes, in fact most times, prospecting should be something that you love doing as a hobby. Not a career.
Gold rushes come and go and if you have TUNNEL vision you may miss opportunities that could have a greater impact on your life
Than finding the Hand of Faith nugget.
In saying all that I will probably go to bed dreaming of unearthing a fist size nugget :lol:
Yet tomorrow I will wake up, go to work and throw another steel beam up on a concrete superstructure whilst mumbling under my breath ' there has to be a better way to make a living ? ' :eek:

so far we have just got samples from the mine for assaying under our current miners right and we are not actually mining it at all yet to be honest i think before we pour more money down the drain trying to get it going we both need to work out the full amount of costs involed i dont know about ryan but im begining to think that the cost of trying to get it a working mine again is far from it let alone minning it in a safe and effective way plus the fuel costs to get there every week or so

Can you blokes just continue to do it as a hobby and keep it fun? That way there is no pressure and any gold you recover is cream :D

Hunting the yellow said:
so far we have just got samples from the mine for assaying under our current miners right and we are not actually mining it at all yet to be honest i think before we pour more money down the drain trying to get it going we both need to work out the full amount of costs involed i dont know about ryan but im begining to think that the cost of trying to get it a working mine again is far from it let alone minning it in a safe and effective way plus the fuel costs to get there every week or so

if you can make ends meet from doing something that really makes you "HAPPY"...you are rich! :cool:

MJB said:
Can you blokes just continue to do it as a hobby and keep it fun? That way there is no pressure and any gold you recover is cream :D
There certainly is a better than average chance, that by just prospecting the area and surrounding mines in the district including fossicking the mine heaps that rewards could be won.
Most of the sampling in the area contained gold. To make it pay handsomely we need to exchange a few litres of sweat.

Latest posts