old gem master

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason you dont need a reverse is that the spindle plate has a left hand thread. Run it the other way and your laps come loose.
a sewing machine motor is noisy and under powered. I use a 3 phase motor with a single to three phase inverter. Motor is about $150
and the inverter about $300 plus a external on/off, reverse and variable speed dial. Cheaper than $4000 for a new GF4.
That about all I can do for you. I given all the options I know and having owned ,restored and used Gemmastas for 36 years I know every nut and bolt on them.

Regards Tony

From an article i read somewhere at some stage, back in the day a nugget was a piece of gold no smaller than 5 or 10oz, anything smaller than that was called something else, can someone confirm this for me!
This is from a question posed by DWT in the forum. Can anyone help with the "something else".

got it up and going but the head is pretty stuffed its wobbly and the degrees are
out of line. ..I took it to a guy who works on them he couldn't help me. ..I've spent about 700 getting a motor and speed dyle and faceting gear...it's so frustrating and I really want to start on some of my sapphires but the head is too iffy always having problems..I can do a really good stone at the club but on this no good.
I know it's a big ask but I really need either an fg 1 or 2 head like what's the chance of that happening willing to spend 400 on an old head if someone's got a good one
cherrs

Firstly this is a very tunable faceting head but its a complicated procedure. Im located in Sydney if that helps.

Latest posts