Pyrite?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, just trying to identify what this stuff is in some rock I found. I've been calling it Pyrite, but I'm not sure. Also, it seems there's a few different types of pyrite. I'm guessing chalcopyrite, but it's only a guess and I was hoping maybe some of you guys might know what it is.
1410416245_p9100813.jpg

Hi friends,
This is a sign that gold is very near
This material has the same genetic process Gold
Good luck and follow this vein mineral

I'm pretty sure you would need to breath in a lot of it. Pretty sure it's a standard test for it. It wouldn't be like roasting ore, that's toxic for sure.

A small scratch and sniff should be fine.

I found a pice in my tyre one time sitting in my garage, I levered it out and scratched it doing so and you could smell it quite strongly and I'm fine........errrrr I think. :D

Yer I think its arsenopyrite also.
Arsenopyrite gives off fumes smelling of garlic if struck or heated, hardness is 5.5-6 on the mohs scale which means it will scratch with difficulty with a good quality knife, colour is silvery white.

Chalcopyrite is brass yellow sometimes with iridesence. hardness is 3.5 to 4 on the mohs scale. it should scratch easily with any old knife. It also colours a flame green.

have fun and wash your hands after playing.

Thanks for the replies. Generally in the rock it looks brassy gold in colour although in the pan when crushed it can look a bit silvery too. I'm red/green colourblind which doesn't help. I'm hoping there's some gold in there too but there may not be. I had plans of smelting it to see if there's any gold in it, but if it's arsenopyrite I'm a bit worried about the fumes. I haven't noticed any garlic smell. I seem to be getting a fair bit of it in the rock I crush, this is a typical panfull of it.
1410572492_p9130815.jpg

Hey 22Shells
When "Smelting" anything you need to be aware of the fumes coming of the product, depending on the make up of the rock & any sulphides present the fumes can contain potential harmful products, stay out of the fumes & do this in a well ventilated area & you will be fine, "Safety First" my friend!!!!
cheers
Lee

Thanks Lee, that's why I haven't done it yet and am trying to do more research first. I haven't been having much luck with the detector so I thought I'd try crushing some rock and see what's in it, and this is what I've been getting.

Could try doing a small amount as Lee said in a well ventilated environment, do it outdoors. See what happens, though do more research first I don't know much about this topic.

Latest posts