Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roscoe said:
Ridgerunner, What i am going to do is test the alkaline batteries against the Ni-MH batteries on test targets and see if there is any measurable difference in performance. If the Alkaline batteries at a total of 12 volts show a noticeable increase in sensitivity to low conductive test targets then i will go the RNB Lithium pack, if not i will stick to the whites NI-MH factory packs. I still don't know how to conduct the test, but i am leaning towards a 5 cent coin tested at the beach. :)

G'day Mate, Well ya Know all them airtest figures they give out, it seems that every TDI does the same, But you can run it hot and Blow the Doors off of that theory, But it does get noisy, I was Tarting around with it the other Night and I found another 25% more distance,

Well get ya self a 5 cent coin and superglue 3 feet of strong thread to the back of it and grab a yabby and pump and make a hole, then drop the coin in it and put the sand back with the pump.

Remember if you want to know the Maximum Power/Test Then buy the Energizer Lithium (ultimate) batteries because they put out 1.8261 volts so times that by 8 = 14.6088 volts (Serious Power) and although they cost a Quid for Power Testing the will give you The Best Results and depending on which/what they are being used for they quote 6 or 10 and even 20 times longer Life so they are the Best Bait to go on the hook,

With the MXT 300 and the MXT Pro I was getting 57 hours out of ordinary Duracells and I never run them to were the machine said they were stuffed, I would expect these Energizer Ultimate Lithiums to give at leased 80 Hours in the MXTs.

What do you think ???

Just got back using the SPP with head phones and a 12x7 NF with the 2900 RNB battery pack got 6 1/2 hours total out of it . I only done 2 hr Friday about 2 1/2 sat and on sunday left it in until the detector did not run ,my back was playing up that's why its spread over 3 days ,and found on gold but it was a good weekend regards john :)

old hand said:
Just got back using the SPP with head phones and a 12x7 NF with the 2900 RNB battery pack got 6 1/2 hours total out of it . I only done 2 hr Friday about 2 1/2 sat and on sunday left it in until the detector did not run ,my back was playing up that's why its spread over 3 days ,and found on gold but it was a good weekend regards john :)

Well that's not too good considering the Importer told me I should get about 30 hours out of them, So the only other option is to get some thing like A 12V/12 Amp + Motorcycle battery and fit a power socket abit like the SD,GP,GPX set up, By using the dry cell pack with a socket on it and a lead and that should get us about 26 hours +/-,

The times you got are correct in fact you got about 10 minates more due to using it over a couple of days in stead of one day it should have been about 6 hours 18 minates,, So well don't for that. good job,

So its back to the drawing board for us,

Thanks again.

The one good thing is that the RNB battery charge up in about 2 hrs . What about another standard rechargeable park. I did see a spp that had a set of aldi rechargeable in it, he also had something that plugged in to the standard whites charger then it to 12v for charging it up it was only about 2x3 inches ,I do not know how long they took to charge the pack up.
The other thing was xl6009 set up power module 4.5 -32v to 5v-52v dc as far as these thing they are over my head but to some one who is electrical savey may be able to say that it will work regards john :)

Thanks for that Oldhand, much appreciated. I think that 6.5 hrs run time is well worth the cost of the rnb battery. Don't forget with the Li-ion battery you are starting out at 12+volts and it would shut down at about 10 to 10.5 volts and it will recharge in 2 hrs. When the Li-on battery is flat it is putting more volts out then the Ni-mh batteries fully charged starting out.

I just received my SPP in the mail today, took it down the beach for a quick spin and tried it out on the wet sand. It purred like a kitten with GB off and i retrieved some super deep sinkers for my trouble, no loot unfortunately. :)

Ridgerunner, The RNB battery would get those hours from a VLF like the GMT, MXT etc.

G'day Roscoe, This is a worry A, If my Machine was not Brand New I would Make up a Gizmo to give it the Herbs, And the GMT that's not a problem coz like I said I got 57 hours In the MXT Pro using Duracells, So my New GMT should do the Same Plus about 25% using the RNB, I got a 100 watt solar panel for when I go away and a smaller 15 watt one for smaller items, and I got 3 power inverters from 300 watts up to A 1000 watts.

I have even thought of putting a smaller solar panel on the detector That wont charge it right up but it would prolong what battery power you have, A

You some thing Like 75mm x 125 - 150mm mounted at the top of the lower shaft just below the hand grip at an angle so when you put it down its pointing at the sun and when you are using it, IT sits Level. that should give you another 25 to 40 % Run Time, what do you think, I got one a bit smaller somewhere, A little flexible one would be perfect,

Thanks again Old hand for your efforts.

With the RNB batteries that I have I also have the 12v charger. Input is DC 13.5 v and out put DC 12.6v-2.0A this just plugs direct into the battery pack and charges in about 2hrs regards john :)

Roscoe said:
Thanks for that Oldhand, much appreciated. I think that 6.5 hrs run time is well worth the cost of the rnb battery. Don't forget with the Li-ion battery you are starting out at 12+volts and it would shut down at about 10 to 10.5 volts and it will recharge in 2 hrs. When the Li-on battery is flat it is putting more volts out then the Ni-mh batteries fully charged starting out.

I just received my SPP in the mail today, took it down the beach for a quick spin and tried it out on the wet sand. It purred like a kitten with GB off and i retrieved some super deep sinkers for my trouble, no loot unfortunately. :)

Ridgerunner, The RNB battery would get those hours from a VLF like the GMT, MXT etc.

So Roscoe how deep were your sinkers and how loud were the signals ?? also how big were they?

Keep up the good work.

Ridge runner, The sinkers were at least a foot deep if not more. The signal was quiet broad taking up about 4" (12" tdi mono) of coil in sweep and it was a round 1/2 oz and a bean 1/2 oz sinkers and the signal was clear and sounded sweet. The SPP ran well in wet salt sand and in the water. I tried to ground balance the unit on the sand but was unable to, so i ran in GB off. I was surprised that i could run the machine without head phones the speaker volume was quiet good considering no volume control, a lot better then the GMT.

I did a quick test on $1 & $2 coins, the $2 coin disappears when GB is set to #4 from #8.5 and the $1 coin nearly disappears, but only gives a very weak low tone signal. The 50 cent piece goes from low tone to high tone. This was only an air test so an in ground test will be a good idea, but i am sure it will be the same.

Old hand, I will purchase the rnb battery pack and i think it would be a good idea also to get the 12 volt lead with it as you have. I see rnb now makes a 3100Mha battery pack so this will give a bit more run time upon your 2900Mha.

old hand said:
Just watch the postage I see one ebay seller has postage at $35 Kellyco charged $86 regards john :)

This 3100mah must be a US exclusive because I phoned the importer and he told me they are 2900, which is starting to be a pain, Because they are $113.32c over here, and the std Batteries are $89.10

The 3100 on ebay are $149 PLUS $34.20 International postage item 121372075945
the pack I have the person that purchased them paid $150 for battery $49 for 12v charger and $ 86 DEL. :)

old hand said:
The 3100 on ebay are $149 PLUS $34.20 International postage item 121372075945
the pack I have the person that purchased them paid $150 for battery $49 for 12v charger and $ 86 DEL. :)

Ouch, they don't mis ya do they,,the 2900s are AUS $124.73 and AUS $8.02 del,

I cant decide weather if they are worth it for an extra hour, I kind of hoped they would be good for 8 hours, and that importer said they would be good for 30 hours Which a load of old $%#.

I will have to tell him what they actually do and I would like to here what Reg has to say,

Roscoe said:
Ridge runner, who is the Australian supplier for RNB batteries?

Don't Know mate, I Found the UK guy on Finds forum and then tracked him down, I know one thing for sure you are getting bent over for the postage I could get them cheaper for you.

PS, he's got 10 left.

Thanks mate I am heading off for a week, when i get back i will pm you and get all the details of your supplier if that's ok, thanks.

Roscoe said:
Thanks mate I am heading off for a week, when i get back i will pm you and get all the details of your supplier if that's ok, thanks.

No Worries mate, your more than welcome.

If you ran ran 2 groups of 3 14500 lipo batteries (same physical size as aa, 3.7v per cell actual voltage when fully charged is 4.2) in series that would give you 3000mah (cheap 14500's are 1500mah each). 12.6v when fully charged and around 10.5v when nearly flat.
Would be a pretty simple mod to do on a genuine whites dry cell pack and would give you at least 5-6 hours run time per six cells, Panasonic 14500 cells are only $2-3 each from china, chargers are only a few dollars also.

If you managed to squeeze 9 cells (three groups of three) you'd have 4500mah.
That's 8-9 hours run time at 11volts average :)

dazza513 said:
If you ran ran 2 groups of 3 14500 lipo batteries (same physical size as aa, 3.7v per cell actual voltage when fully charged is 4.2) in series that would give you 3000mah (cheap 14500's are 1500mah each). 12.6v when fully charged and around 10.5v when nearly flat.
Would be a pretty simple mod to do on a genuine whites dry cell pack and would give you at least 5-6 hours run time per six cells, Panasonic 14500 cells are only $2-3 each from china, chargers are only a few dollars also.

I was thinking do same thing with 14500 Li-ion batteries. But there is a problem with it. You need to monitor voltage because if the voltage of any individual cell falls below 2.75V you will stuff up those batteries . This problem doesn't arise with protected batteries, but they are very expensive.
Karl

KarlS said:
dazza513 said:

I was thinking do same thing with 14500 Li-ion batteries. But there is a problem with it. You need to monitor voltage because if the voltage of any individual cell falls below 2.75V you will stuff up those batteries . This problem doesn't arise with protected batteries, but they are very expensive.
Karl

Why not use the 18650s @ 3100mah which are also 3.7 they measure 70mm X 20mm each

Latest posts