Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roscoe said:
Thanks mate, That would be plenty enough run time for me. Like you said, run them to lunch time and swap over with fresh pack. I had a look on the net and those AAA battery holders are cheap, just got to hot glue into place and solder wires. I have plenty of Eneloop AAA batteries at home or do you recommend a better brand for the purpose?

Well Roscoe you might of noticed he is using AAAs And I thought that means Less run time But because he is adding TWO more Batteries that Gives you the Correct High Power and the Extra 450 mah so its a win win situation and you are saving Mega Bucks on buying the R&B system although It is a Great system it is some serious money and for folks on a limited Budget this is the best way around,

Hope this helps

I am a bit confused here, should i use 10 AAA or 10 AA batteries? or could the mod be done with both? Sorry mate, but on the video he said AAA batteries and i was just trying to work out were all of this extra volts and Mah was coming from. :)

Roscoe said:
I am a bit confused here, should i use 10 AAA or 10 AA batteries? or could the mod be done with both? Sorry mate, but on the video he said AAA batteries and i was just trying to work out were all of this extra volts and Mah was coming from. :)

Yes you Should use 10 AAA because the AAA holder fit in the case Sideways, and you just remove the fins that hold the Normal Batteries in place and Buy 2 AAA 4cell battery holders and 1, 2 Cell AAA Battery Holder give you the bank of 10 and Link them as needed,

If you Modify the little Tongue on the Lid so it is the same size as your rechargeable Pack Lid it will fit in your charger and you wont have to take the Batteries out of the Holder to Charge them, OK

Ridgerunner, I appreciate your time mate. One last question, What are the batteries you use that give 13.97625 Volts = 2650 mah as i can not seem to find a AAA battery with this rating? Every thing else i am crystal clear on thanks. :)

Roscoe said:
Ridgerunner, I appreciate your time mate. One last question, What are the batteries you use that give 13.97625 Volts = 2650 mah as i can not seem to find a AAA battery with this rating? Every thing else i am crystal clear on thanks. :)

Hello Mate. I'm using Energizer 2650mah AAs which put out 11.181 volts after being out of the charger for about 3 hours,
But I am having trouble finding the AAAs but they will charge up the same so if you divide 11.181v by 8 = 1,397625 x 10 = 13.97625

Ok

PS I am searching them for you and as soon as I find the higher mah ones I will post it, Speaking to the Importer of those R&B Batteries He Reckons that we should get around 30 hours out of them, But I would Like to know what Reg says about this because He is The Master of the TDI SL, He said they are getting 35 to 40 out of them in the E-Trac but that is not a fair comparison because the TDI's Have a lot more Grunt than the E-Trac.

Thanks Ridgerunner, I don't like our chances of find that high capacity AAA's. I worked it out as 1.2 volts x 10= 12volts, but at only 1100 Mah. Higher voltage but the Mah would only give 2.5 hrs operating time approx. based on 450Mah operating current of Tdi sl.

I see Kellyco has the HP3100 RnB battery pack on special at the moment. 12volt @3100Mah if 450Mah is the approx. operating current of TDI sl that should give us close to 7hrs operating time at 12volt. :)

Roscoe said:
Thanks Ridgerunner, I don't like our chances of find that high capacity AAA's. I worked it out as 1.2 volts x 10= 12volts, but at only 1100 Mah. Higher voltage but the Mah would only give 2.5 hrs operating time approx. based on 450Mah operating current of Tdi sl.

I see Kellyco has the HP3100 RnB battery pack on special at the moment. 12volt @3100Mah if 450Mah is the approx. operating current of TDI sl that should give us close to 7hrs operating time at 12volt. :)

According to that Importer HE SAID,, that the 3100 is the Etrac Battery and the Whites one is a bit les than that and I can get then for about $127.00 each with the charger, so I ordered Two, But One thing to think about is the cost of the standard Battery which is about 100+$,

I am using 2900 R&B on my spp and I think it would be struggling to get 8hrs use with a 14x7 nf .This weekend I will keep a record on how long they last using a 12x7 nf .They take 2hrs to charge 12v or 240v
Ridge runner from what I under stand it is possible to charge a pack of 10 AAA in the whites standard charger is that right thanks john :)

No worries mate, I just thought of some thing else and that is the US voltage for the smart charger? Might have to order 12 volt charger as well. If that's the case that will throw the old budget out. :)

Is there an Australian Importer of RNB batteries? :)

old hand said:
I am using 2900 R&B on my spp and I think it would be struggling to get 8hrs use with a 14x7 nf .This weekend I will keep a record on how long they last using a 12x7 nf .They take 2hrs to charge 12v or 240v
Ridge runner from what I under stand it is possible to charge a pack of 10 AAA in the whites standard charger is that right thanks john :)

That's right, But you have to Cut that little Tongue/LIP that you grab to open the Pack so its the same size as the One on the NiMh Pack then it will fit in the Charger, Ok

Gotta go Back soon

OK, That's good news then oldhand thanks. Oldhand, 2900Mah by approx. 400Mah for SPP = 7.2 hrs operating time. does that sound about right?

No Roscoe I do not think it will last 7 hrs .As I said I will give it a good run this weekend and will post the results Monday regards john :)

I don't think that Mod with the 10 x AAA batteries would be any good Oldhand. The AAA batteries as far as i can see don't have enough capacity. I was told by a mate you can buy lithium AAA rechargeable but they are expensive. :)

I noticed you can buy AA 2800Mah Lithium rechargable they are 1.5 volts as well.

I just had a bit of a look at prices of Lithium AAA and AA and they are expensive.

Anyway, I will wait for your test run over the weekend.

Ya Know I've been thinking about this, and for what its worth maybe I am better off buying 2 extra factory Packs because that will give me 15 to 18 hours from 3 packs and I wont get them taken away at the airport

Other than that use 9 of the 2800s = 13.5v @ 1.5 volts each but don't be surprized if they put out about 1.6 to 1.7 volts each x 9=15.3v which is within the limit and will drop to about 14.6v,

The answer is here some where, Oldhand we are at your Mercy Mate,

Food for thought though, Aye

Ridgerunner, What i am going to do is test the alkaline batteries against the Ni-MH batteries on test targets and see if there is any measurable difference in performance. If the Alkaline batteries at a total of 12 volts show a noticeable increase in sensitivity to low conductive test targets then i will go the RNB Lithium pack, if not i will stick to the whites NI-MH factory packs. I still don't know how to conduct the test, but i am leaning towards a 5 cent coin tested at the beach. :)

Latest posts