meteorite impact crater nsw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawman

steve wardle
Reaction score
I found an old impact crater today by accident near lambs valley behind Cessnock nsw with google earth.. 5.5 kms across.. I do not know anything else about it.. I would love to have a scratch around the edges of the ridge to see if there is anything of interest to add to my rock collection. It is a roundish ridge/crater and cant be missed because of its shape.. check it out... :)

Hay Kman,
I'm looking, looking, looking but I'm buggered if I can see it.
According to google maps Lambs Valley is up past Greta, is this the area you are talking about?
How about some co-ord's.

the position is 32deg 35' 00.75s 151deg 29' 43.80 n very close to lambs valley.. punch in lambs valley nsw.. and sorry not close to Cessnock... :8 looks like a crater 5.5 kms across. :)

1410055349_a1.png

sorry google earth is playing up and I cant send the image any place at all .. If one of you kind chaps that can post a screen shot sort the problem so all the members can see it...It is not a small round hole...it is 5.5kms across.. it may or may not be a crater, but it sure looks like one to me.. it needs further investigation to be sure one way or the other and may hold some nice prizes around the rim .. :)

Impressive, is that another small crater to the left? Let me know when your keen to go and investigate and I'll see what I have on, Lambs Valley is just down the road.

don't let us hold you back... hook in. If it is the genuine article a guy with a detector may find some pieces of the stellar rock and send me one.. :D

Sorry man, I didn't mean to spoil the fun of a new find. I really enjoy doing it too; sifting over google earth to look for interesting geo features.

In this case, I used to walk my dog in Lambs Valley quite a bit, before I knew about fossicking and how to look at the land for clues about what may be there.
If I was still living in that area (I lived in Bolton Point until a year ago), I would now be test panning/sieving Glendon brook and Lambs Valley creeks, seeing as this part is basically the foothills of Barrington Tops. There may be ruby and sapphire. Then again, maybe not.

nice find, I found what looked like a satellite on the cliff off steep point in WA but haven't been over that side of the island to check it out yet.

Yep shes a hill , down on the bottom of the goog earth screen can see the elevation meter go up as you scroll over it