Easter Monday High banking at Grabben Gullen

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TenOunce Tone said:
Look like you had an awsome Easter Wal, great work!

Sure did Tone... :) bit of a mixed bag of lollies for a change :) hope the luck rubs off for a bit longer mate.Cheers Wal. :)

That is a very nice sapphire Wal. :)

Would have been hard going processing it all with just a sieve.
Looks like I will have to be doing up a modified sieve or highbanker for next year.

In the mean while I may see you down at GG some time.

Jerry

jimnyjerry said:
That is a very nice sapphire Wal. :)

Would have been hard going processing it all with just a sieve.
Looks like I will have to be doing up a modified sieve or highbanker for next year.

In the mean while I may see you down at GG some time.

Jerry

A hi-banker certainly helps to process the gravel Jerry, ;) but make sure your hi-banker has a forward classifying screen if you're working GG....or you will loose all your larger saphs. See you on the creek, Cheers Wal. :)

Hi Wal
A nice big sapphire. Well done.
Now you have Di all excited about gemstones near Canberra! :lol:
I was hoping she would forget about gemstones & focus on finding relics with her new CTX3030 :(
Cheers
Jed

Can be a big problem Jed...Most of the time It's pretty hard to get Liz away from those Sapphires as well. Only saving grace is there's a wee little gold with them so we sometimes get a win / win situation....Cheers Wal. :)

Di likes the dark blue ones (as per her jewellery) so maybe the lighter coloured ones in Oz will help her focus on relics!
You & Liz seem to nicely balance gold & gemstones.
cheers Jed

Hate to disappoint you even more Jed.. :( But some of the best "Cornflower Blue" sapphires come from OZ and Grabben Gullen has quite a few of these... :eek: Sorry mate...I guess I'm not really helping much...think I'd better shut up...Cheers Wal. :/

Looks like I will have to take a shovel & a couple of sieves to Grabben Gullen Wal :)
Alternatively I will have to start detecting in the desert!
Cheers
Jed

Is anyone heading up over the June long weekend? I am heading up with my brother and a friend of mine. Having some trouble finding any streams that look to be on public/crown land. Does anyone know if there is public access to the old grabben gullen mine. This looks to be creek that intersects with wheeo road looks ok on google maps but would be keen to know if someone has been there before with even a little sucess.

Other likely areas north west of gunning but unsure of access seems to be a small town about 10km north west with a lot of mining activity but I can't see if it is crown land or private property. I want to do the right thing and not get arrested for trespass.

Looks like some bushy areas east of gunning road but can't see any old mines in my research. I keen to know if people have explored the areas. I am just after information on access.

Wow WalnLiz just saw the video on youtube that came from this weekend worth a look to anyone else who hasn't seen it.

Certainly worth the long drive up from Melbourne not as far as going to inverall Glen innis field. My brother and I cemented plans for the long weekend in June. going to be freezing up there I guess but hopefully we get a bit of rain between now and then to release some materail into the rivers. I am guessing by the look of it your on private land. Do you know of any sites up there that allow visitors and charge per head/per day like they do further up north, I put in a call to the crookwell vistor centre today and awaiting a call back. Is there anyone in the area that offers tours similar to the detecting tours in Victoria?

I see that their is a small public area underneath the bridge on the aptly named Sapphire rd apart from that area are there any other public access aeras? Public fossicking parks?

Can any one clear it up for me the way i understand the law in NSW i dont need a miners right but am subject to a bag limit so to speak is that correct? state parks require a license is that correct? can these be purchased online?

Is anyone selling helpfull prospecting maps there seems to be a lack of them regarding this area?

Hey Wal n Liz, thanks for your U tube video's, thats how we got onto this foum and never thought of "stones".
Think we will do some panning while we decide on which detector and maybe look at a sluice down the track.

Newbie said:
Wow WalnLiz just saw the video on youtube that came from this weekend worth a look to anyone else who hasn't seen it.

Certainly worth the long drive up from Melbourne not as far as going to inverall Glen innis field. My brother and I cemented plans for the long weekend in June. going to be freezing up there I guess but hopefully we get a bit of rain between now and then to release some materail into the rivers. I am guessing by the look of it your on private land. Do you know of any sites up there that allow visitors and charge per head/per day like they do further up north, I put in a call to the crookwell vistor centre today and awaiting a call back. Is there anyone in the area that offers tours similar to the detecting tours in Victoria?

I see that their is a small public area underneath the bridge on the aptly named Sapphire rd apart from that area are there any other public access aeras? Public fossicking parks?

Can any one clear it up for me the way i understand the law in NSW i dont need a miners right but am subject to a bag limit so to speak is that correct? state parks require a license is that correct? can these be purchased online?

Is anyone selling helpfull prospecting maps there seems to be a lack of them regarding this area?

G'day Newby,

Send me a PM and i can fill you in on the Grabben Gullen Area.

Cheers Wal. :)

WOW they look great WalnLiz. count me in on a trip to GG. I have never been sapphire hunting but have always wanted to go. :cool:

ran :D

ranma said:
WOW they look great WalnLiz. count me in on a trip to GG. I have never been sapphire hunting but have always wanted to go. :cool:

ran :D

As soon as it warms up fran I'll get you and Bob over for a hunt....would mean dragging Bob away from Tuena for a whole weekend..."Hope this can be possible". You may have to do some serious convincing and use all your persuasive powers. Cheers Wal. :)