selling minelab xterra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hey guys so ive decided after using the xterra 705 that im going to sell it and most likely buy a ctx 3030 just because I wanna take the next step in technology and really see what I can find .the xterra 705 is a great detector but my biggest fault is my impatients and I feel with the 3030 I would better be able to discrim between targets and also use it in water and rough weather .

anyway selling the duel pack for $850 with free postage if anyone is interested .usually retails for $990 but you guys probably already know that .

comes with everything in box and is in perfect condition .only used about 4 times .

FYI The Gold pack X-Terra 705 is $850 new not $990 (Miners Den and Coiltek)

The Duel package is $990 new, I know, I bought one last Saturday. I also got a few dollars off.

oh sorry yeh mine is the duel package .it has the gold coil and the 9" concentric .

mike90199 said:
my biggest fault is my impatients and I feel with the 3030 I would better be able to discrim between targets and also use it in water and rough weather .

If that is your problem/concern then I don't think the CTX will ease that frustration, not sure but think it is about as complex as the xTerra, others may be able to confirm, the CTX is as you say better for use in the water.

Not necessarily your situation but many users expect gold (or relics) to jump out of the ground when they wave a detector over it, takes a while to become familiar with ANY detector and it's capabilities/shortcomings before even starting to ID potential areas to seek targets.

Good luck with your sale/new purchase.

an afterthought but perhaps check out the CTX manual/users guide on ML site to check out how to use the CTX.

Teemore said:
mike90199 said:
my biggest fault is my impatients and I feel with the 3030 I would better be able to discrim between targets and also use it in water and rough weather .

If that is your problem/concern then I don't think the CTX will ease that frustration, not sure but think it is about as complex as the xTerra, others may be able to confirm, the CTX is as you say better for use in the water.

Not necessarily your situation but many users expect gold (or relics) to jump out of the ground when they wave a detector over it, takes a while to become familiar with ANY detector and it's capabilities/shortcomings before even starting to ID potential areas to seek targets.

Good luck with your sale/new purchase.

an afterthought but perhaps check out the CTX manual/users guide on ML site to check out how to use the CTX.

thx for the tip mate .will do.

I don't want to over complicate your for sale thread, but I echo what Teemore had to say. If anything you need time on your detector to be successful, not necessarily upgrade to an even more complicated detector with a decent learning curve. You only have to look at the good finds from lesser detectors than the 705 to realise that it's not necessarily the detector you swing, but more to do with the operator and time spent learning their detector. I just feel you haven't given the 705 a proper go yet, especially only after being used 4 times.

At the end of the day it's your choice, so good luck. :)

I totally agree and im sure you guys are 100% right .im just interested in water proof feature and maybe not picking up as much trash and being able to find objects the 705 couldn't reach .but yeh im only 30 and a pretty impatient guy .maybe If I get the ctx 3030 I might change my mind about the whole matter and then you guys can say I told you so lol .I guess im also after bigger coil and more features also and if I get another could for 705 then ive sunk more money into it so yeh .

I mean what would you guys recommend in the $2000 range as I am interested in the ctx 3030 but I know there is some garrets out there and other brands that apparently rival the ctx .

condor22 said:
FYI The Gold pack X-Terra 705 is $850 new not $990 (Miners Den and Coiltek)

The Duel package is $990 new, I know, I bought one last Saturday. I also got a few dollars off.

The other thing is, that unlike Anaconda, by going to Minersden, I also got a pair RPG headphones with volume control on each earpiece for FREE (normal $52).
I also bought a 6" DD for it.

It's for the wife, I have a GPX5000. Her interest and capability didn't warrant spending any more.

I was thinking the same thing about the coil at the start, but to be honest I have the 17" coil for the ctx and found it hard to pin point the target in high trash areas. I've used it once then put the 11" back on. As a thought you can buy a 10" dd coil for the xterra which is a good size and will let you find the goods in between the trash. If your looking for water proof maybe look at the Excalibur 2 with the 10" coil. One thing I have also learnt recently is it's not always about covering ground with a larger coil but knowing were to look. I gave up on tot lots and parks months ago because I found more on the beach. Just my 2c

Sa_bogan said:
I was thinking the same thing about the coil at the start, but to be honest I have the 17" coil for the ctx and found it hard to pin point the target in high trash areas. I've used it once then put the 11" back on. As a thought you can buy a 10" dd coil for the xterra which is a good size and will let you find the goods in between the trash. If your looking for water proof maybe look at the Excalibur 2 with the 10" coil. One thing I have also learnt recently is it's not always about covering ground with a larger coil but knowing were to look. I gave up on tot lots and parks months ago because I found more on the beach. Just my 2c

cool thx bogan .what you think of the excalibre 2 is it better than the 705 or ?.I was also looking at the safari .

I think they are 2 different detectors. The 705 loves the parks and the Excalibur loves the beach do you would need to decide what you would rather detect. The excal doesn't have a screen and is all about tone so it's very different in that aspect. I have used the safari but from what I understand it's very similar to the explorer series which is fbs technology and that would work well on both the beach and parks. The excal cannot change coil and the head phones are hard wired so they also cannot be change wher as all the other models can. I found plenty with mine and miss the tone ID rather than the screen, but you have to listed and gauge on what the target is and how deep it would be. PaulMarr uses the sovereign GT which is basically the non water proof version of the Excalibur. For around the same price as the excal you could buy the etrac which is the non water proof version of the ctx minus the gps etc

You really can't beat the FBS/BBS technology of the Minelabs, especially on the beach, so to makes things easier, I'd stay with Minelab for now. Garrett don't do multi frequency detector, and Whites only current version that has anything similar to the Minelabs is the V3i, which is quite a complex machine, with a plethora of user settings to get your head around.

The Excalibur is definitely the weapon of choice for most pro beach & surf hunters, the Safari lacks the ferrous/conductivity and smartfind readout that the Explorer, Etrac and ctx have (ctx is a bit more involved), they are very useful features for identifying in-ground targets.

Bigger coils don't necessarily equate to more finds, in fact trashy areas beg for much smaller coils to get decent target separation. If you can't distinguish seperate targets with the eliptical DD coil on the 705, then you certainly aren't going to find it easier with an even larger coil again. In fact the smallest coil I have for the Explorer is exactly the same size as the 705 gold coil, that is my go to coil for really junky areas. I wouldn't want to use anything larger than the 11" coil for general park hunting, but a larger coil may be beneficial on the beach.

Patience is a necessity for detecting, it is just a fact of life. There are a lot of people with the most expensive detectors on the market, and have very little in the way of finds to show for such a huge outlay, mainly due to them either not spending enough time on the ground to intinitely know their detector and what it is telling them, plus not knowing the best areas to detect at. Despite the Bogan crew having a very capable detector in the CTX, I can assure you that much research has gone into the areas they detect, along with a decent amount of time in the field to get the best out of their detectors.

Whilst any of the above mentioned multi-frequency detectors will give you an advantage over the 705, especially regarding depth and capability on wet wet sand or in the surf, you will still find that you will have research the tones and vdi no.s, just as you would have on the 705.

If I was to do parks, dry sand/wet sand, the Etrac would be fine, if going anywhere near the water, then Excalibur or CTX - or of course, the CTX for everything. If looking at gold prospecting as well, I would look at a completely different detector again. :)

Mike90199
Is it still for sale?
Which area do you live in?
If you could email or pm me.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts