Winding coil cable up the detector shaft

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just posing a generic question about winding and taping the coil lead to the shaft.
Is there a right and wrong way? I tend to leave a little slack near the coil and tape it tightly to the shaft and then wrap the coil up the shaft to the control box.
Will winding it too tight or too loose have an effect on EMI?
I have seen a few pics that wind differently.

Any thoughts or opinions?

3A68A46B-C2E1-4991-9940-C4CD94674C8F_zpswtnqicjg.jpg

This is how i was taught to wrap the coil by my technician
And an experienced prospector.

Works for me..

Homebrew .. it is a qualified practice to fix your initial runaway lead from the coil to the shaft, only allow sufficient excess at the pivot joint to allow you to move your coil 90 degrees ... best way to do this is straighten out your coil so it lays parallel to the shaft, tape the cable or clamp it if you have shaft clamps, keep the cable straight for approximately half the shaft length, thereafter wrap it, still keeping it firm till you reach the control box.
The reason you need to keep the slack cable taut is that it does move when you swing and the minute movement will cause false signals.

Cheers Pete

Homebrewer, I am very fussy with the coil lead attached to the shaft. I leave a little slack at the coil end to allow the coil to be pivoted with out undue tension. I then run the lead top side dead straight to the shaft connector with plastic clips. from there i evenly wrap lead around shaft and clip or tape off lead near control. I do this to prevent falsing when an object is bumped with the coil. :)

As above, allow enough slack at the coil for pivoting but not to the point where it's floppy, then wrap the cable up the shaft firm enough to prevent any free movement, it doesn't need to be super tight but you don't want it flapping about either. Have a play around with it and if you're not noticing any unexpected falsing then it should be fine.

Here's how I have mine. Note I use a couple of velcro straps to fix the cable in place at either end of the shaft.

1406789693_2014-07-31_16.37.28-1.jpg

1406789693_2014-07-31_16.38.02-1.jpg

Hope it helps.

Nugget, have you used your new detector yet?
I would re wrap that lead, any movement on the lead near where it runs into the machine and it is likely to false.
I'd add another wrap going up the coil and get rid of that loop near the bend in the shaft.

Yeah I took it out for a swing today and there was no indication to change it. The cable's actually quite stiff and the amount of slack seen in the photos allows for the coil to pivot without pulling on the cable. It's pretty much how I wrapped my Garrett with no ill side effects. In saying that though both were fitted with small coils. If it starts to play up I'll definitely look at re-wrapping it.

P.S. That second photo looks quite deceiving being so close up, and the loop isn't as big as it seems.

Everyone is going to have there way of doing it.

I spoke with an electronics technician and he instructed
Me to run the coil up as per photo so there is no
Interference from lead sitting under the shaft which is
Near the back of the coil as its wrapped Which ends
up being closer to the back of the coil when detecting.

This is critical especially if detecting in salt water and
Using a pulse induction detector compared to a vlf.

Perhaps larger coils or certain brands / models are more susceptible to falsing from cable movement? I've never really had an issue with 8" coils on both VLF or PI.

Good answers folks! I think I shall take advice from all these posts and hopefully be able to find some more yellow stuff.
The coil cable on the 12" mono seems so long compared to my 14 X9 and 18"R.
Heading up to Waanyarra/Tarnagulla first thing tomorrow for the day. Hopefully this crap weather will pass before morning.

On my water pi it was an issue on the 8" coil
Though i was in salt water due to the ripples in the
Water bouncing up towards coil and lead.

Was then instructed to do it that way.

Got worse when using a larger coil so i sold the larger
Coil.

The sdc is wired straight up the shaft and i think
Future gold pi's will be the same.

The coil in the photo is only 14" Nugget Finder.

What i should do next time i'm out is loosen the coil
And experiment with it by pushing the coil wire down
Towards coil to see response.

I noticed that too with those plastic clips, I tend to not use them anymore despite how convenient they are.

Latest posts