⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is your back yard? I own a dozer if you need a dam dug... Yea Ballarat has one of the richest alluvial gold deposits in the world... Thanks to the high yielding gold reefs and the combination of the high rate of rainfall Ballarat gets each year. That bad side of this is a big town has been built over the top of it so you just need to start sinking a few test holes and who knows.... Maybe you'll find a 30kg nugget the old timers missed ;)

I live right across the road from a park that used to be a lead not far from where Sovereign Hill now stands. Trouble is the gully was used as a dump after that before them converting it over and planting to create a modern park. If i go within ten feet of the place with my detector it starts screaming. Not sure a dozer would go unnoticed Ballaratgold :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yea you live in a good gold area!! Canadian way or back into town way? There was a big mine there somewhere that my grandfather use to tell me about before he passed away and said after the War a heap of brand new army surplus things including brand new motorbikes wrapped up in wax paper got thrown down into the shaft and then backfilled it and turned in into an oval or something.... He use to own an old servo down on that main road so I might be mixing the location up with that... It's somewhere in Ballarat anyways. That creek that runs through that road is extremely rich, I had a geologist come down and show me an ancient creek bed that the current creek has cut through and we test panned it and there's pea size bits of gold... Can't use a detector because of the old iron and rubbish... But anyways it goes under an old guys house and every time you start digging he comes out shaking his hand with a stick in it so best to leave it alone. That geologist also told me that the creek was linned with redgum sleepers to stop the creek from eroding any more and he told me that if I lifted up the sleepers I would get fist fulls of gold because for many years they have been acting like riffles in a sluice box.... I didn't realise he was telling the truth until this summer (which is years after telling me) I went down to have a look and wouldn't you no it, the water was down that much I could see some old sleepers sticking up.... I wouldn't encourage anyone to work them because the end result would be tighter laws and bad name for gold prospectors but it's pretty handy to no the history on the place. A little further up is that spot the call the jeweller's den or something... A small shallow shaft yielded a rediculess amount of gold....

Mollongghip said:
Nice work Maltisau.
Thanks for the tips yesterday, hopefully I'll be able to post something similar after putting them into practice.
Max says thanks again, he spent a few productive hours picking gems and to say he is stoked is an understatement ?

No worries mate. It was a pleasure to meet you both and share some of my limited knowledge. It's great to hear that Max had some luck picking through that concentrate. No doubt I'll have plenty more next time I see him and I can give him some tips on making his own.

1459515909_image.jpg

My sister, :| ,just moved to castlemaine looks like i might have to be nice to her so i can go stay there for a few nights

Latest posts