⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like fine gold so you must have a good recovery method or be a good panner. I also go for the fine gold, why not it's all gold. Good show.

1448279422_thumb.jpg
Well done digger.

You guys showing off your pretty colour of gold in your pans and i am still trying to get my first piece of gold haha....well done ..one day soon i hope i can show you my pan with colour :)

Down on the farm 21-22 Nov:

Fractured bedrock. Dug out the crevice where the pick is a couple of weekends ago for a bit over a gram. Tackled the bare patch (at 4 o'clock position) last weekend
DSC00908.JPG

A crevice on fractured bedrock untouched by the old timers. Still got to really clean out the bottom.
DSC00956.JPG

From the first crevice: nice little 0.17gm picker
DSC00901.JPG

From the second crevice - only about 0.8g total (all well waterworn) but still pretty.
DSC00962.JPG

Wow looks great mdv. I think you'll me making a few members jealous with those pics.
Have you ever seen how the Egyptians cracked the rocks for the pyramids? They would drill the rock and place wooden dowel into the holes. Then pour water on the dowel to expand the wood and crack the stone. Makes me wonder if that method would be a useful method for a spot like this.

I think non explosive expansion has been touch on previously. Or use water in winter, works well on the granite tors

Parks said:
Wow looks great mdv. I think you'll me making a few members jealous with those pics.
Have you ever seen how the Egyptians cracked the rocks for the pyramids? They would drill the rock and place wooden dowel into the holes. Then pour water on the dowel to expand the wood and crack the stone. Makes me wonder if that method would be a useful method for a spot like this.

In this spot, the tree roots running through the crevices have done a similar thing - at first finding their way into hairline cracks and then forcing apart the bedrock as they grow. Then it's just a matter of prising out the busted bedrock with a crowbar - I try to leave the main roots intact.

In first photo, you might notice the she-oak, now long-dead. Working those roots is next to impossible, but I am waiting for the day when that tree gets knocked over. I reckon I'd have a field day under those roots.

Hi all,
Had a great couple of days up at Eldorado. Great weather, top little camping spot, also had the pleasure of having a dig with DiggerTom, top bloke and thanks heaps Tom. Even managed to learn a heap and even got some lovely Reedy Creek Gold. 1.97g total. Still have 1 bucket to sort from a really nice crevice that was solid packed.
1448358372_image.jpeg

Cheers
Mark

Was supposed to be a 'show and tell' post...but...no show!!!
Had a tub of dirt sitting around for a couple of months...when i finally panned through it I was quite surprised to find a few tiny specks of gold...why surprised? Because i was pretty sure i had grabbed this dirt from an island not far offshore that has a lot of quartz (white, rose & quartz crystals) and slate. I was super excited and felt quite the prospector! Took off today, pan in hand/on boat! Unfortunately as soon as i saw the area that i had sample i knew it wasn't what i got gold from yesterday!!! So where did i dig that dirt dagnammit!
A couple of pics attached...needless to say it wasn't a tough day out! The other pic is not great but shows quartz veins and slate ...gold or no gold i find amazing shapes and sizes out here:)
1448359940_img_3850.jpg
1448359965_img_3856.jpg

mdv said:
Parks said:

In this spot, the tree roots running through the crevices have done a similar thing - at first finding their way into hairline cracks and then forcing apart the bedrock as they grow. Then it's just a matter of prising out the busted bedrock with a crowbar - I try to leave the main roots intact.

In first photo, you might notice the she-oak, now long-dead. Working those roots is next to impossible, but I am waiting for the day when that tree gets knocked over. I reckon I'd have a field day under those roots.

Saw a so called Geologist on the local tv channel last nigh, on a spot extremely similar to yours, except. As the professional Geologist explained, movement of a glacier down the valley had caused all the loose bedrock to be pushed clean by the huge weight of the glacier. He said quote; you can see here there's been rock trapped under the glacier that has cause this smooth bedrock to have a slight indentation(gutter). The gutter went about 1.2 meters and was about this wide.

1448361916_excavator_bucket.png

There are professional "kick arse" trommels laying idle at the moment. Probably available to rent/hire. Either bring one to you, or cart the ore out. And an excavator and operator are also available.

Latest posts