⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the wood grubs are sharpening their teeth on gold now lol lol lol. classic!.
The only rocks I've seen like that is in volcaic areas where the blackish larva melts onto everything it touches. It may well have come from an extinct volcano.
I'm from the Shoalhaven area., you get all kinds of mineralized rocks there with black around them, but I've never seen black with gold like that. Interesting!
blue basalt is the main bedrock with a brown conglomerate of quartz and other coloured rocks in sections running thru the basalt here and there. but I haven't seen any black rock about. I'll have to look a bit more at the rock formations around me and more research.
I see that you have a minilab xt1700 how do like it, and do you still use it? I have on also that has been collecting dust in the shed for years. I brought it out the other week and gave it a clean, I plan on using it to check the rear tailings off my high banker.
going back this wend with the minelab xt and a 6 inch coiltek coil to cherry pick the area. I haven't used it much as I have been test panning and exploring the area for the past two years. I started a post up when I first joined the forum, about setting up the minelab xt. there is excellent setup tips from pa members on the post that have worked for me. I've only found a 0.01 gram nugget so far but it proves like other members on here said, it's still a very capable machine. :D

I think you'd be wasting your time looking for the black rocks.
The coating is more likely to be an oxide crust from surrounding rocks (probably the basalt - iron rich) which would again likely be a type of an iron oxide depending on area. Possibly hematite, magnetite or even include an oxide of manganese ores?
Have seen nuggets like this before from Tambaroora NSW.

Edit: p.s. post a pic of them here https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=443309#p443309
goldierocks could probably give you a more accurate answer based on your general location?

Thanks mbasko, ill send a pic to goldierocks for some info. All the gold found so far have had nothing attached to them except for clay or a couple of bits have clear quartz attached.

Took the high banker out the other day didnt get much gold ? couldnt believe how much lead ?

1538651458_9c3c7dba-dc98-4cc3-8033-a4f1265d3d4a.jpg

1538651489_76231f3c-2905-45f0-89b3-c5ac5532bc03.jpg

Haha Max I have a very similar spot, if lead was only worth as much as gold! It's annoying as it clogs up the dream mat cells, I can get a similar amount of shot just from running a few buckets through a 6" sluice.