"Western Creek Gold" - Review.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks
At the end of May I had the pleasure of being one of the first few people to gain access to "Western Creek Station" for the purpose's of detecting, the owners have recently opened the property, which has been closed to the general public for 15 years plus, it is now operating as "Western Creek Gold".
The first trip saw me accompanied by Digginerup & Joe82 from another forum ( Joe had 5 day's) the 2nd trip was just Digginerup & myself, so in 2 trip the 2 of us had 16 day's on the ground plus 5 for Joe, we found about 10 oz'z give or take, and others on the property at the time also had a few oz' each!!!

The countryside is typical of this region & has huge potential for "Gold" there is plenty to see & the water holes (dams) hold a huge amount of bird life around them ( the bush alarm clock @ 6am) a few of the dams even hold a few "Freshwater Croc's".

Access into the place is very simple & is car friendly, there is a bit of country able to be accessed by 2x4 vehicle, but to get out further a 4x4 will be needed, you can access the camp ground with a "Caravan".
They have set up a toilet block at the camp ground with 2 toilets, 2 showers & 2 basins, it only has cold ater at this time but the owners are looking to put in a hot water set up.
The camp ground itself is a nice area with good views, at a spcific time of day it is "SPECTACULAR".

To book your "North Queensland Adventure" call Shirlee Young at Western creek Station, By the way Shirlee & Geoff are really friendly & great host's, so head up and enjoy the paradise we call NQ!!!!!!

Have a look at this link for some photo's
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6825

Contact Shirlee on 40625591 to plan your trip to a "Prospectors Paradise"

got me interested ol mate ! headin up to nambuca heads later in the year might include this
about to check it out thanx jed :)

Great write up rc62burke, I can only dream of finding such good ground close by. I might have to come with you Jed :D

Hi All
Just trying to help out all parties, the owners with their new venture & fellow forum member in their venture for "Gold"
There are good gullies for the "Alluvial" chaser's too water can be had from the dams.
I have a couple of "Google earth" images showing the boundaries & camp area, so if you want to PM me your email I can send you the pics so you get a better Idea of the place.
cheers
Lee

Hatter70 said:
G'day Lee just wondering how much do they charge to detect their per day, per week?
Hey Hatter
$15/day to detect, a discount applies to those not detecting, it is the same price as others in the area that do not have facilities.

Good luck & get out there, it really is a great place to visit, I have it on good advice that 100oz's has come out of the area since late May.
cheers
Lee

Hey thanks for that Lee, I'll have to see if I can manage a trip away up their before it gets to hot again, even for a couple days due to work commitments.

Hi Lee thank you for the info, I have been trying to find a way to pm you for those google earth images but cannot figure it out. would really love to have coordinates so i can have a look on google earth. Any ideas on how to send a pm? Anyway my email is ---------------------
Cheers John

Edit: Sorry no personal no's or emails to be displayed on the open forum .

Thanks Lee got your email, great information. Do you know if they allow campfire cooking in the camping area and is firewood available for collection on the station?

John

jjob222 said:
Thanks Lee got your email, great information. Do you know if they allow campfire cooking in the camping area and is firewood available for collection on the station?

John

Hi John
Your welcome, yes they allow fire's & plenty of wood, but like always it pays to double check, they have a hot water donkey for hot water that needs a fire so I think a fire should be good.
cheers
Lee

Hi folks. Im from wa but making my dream trip across with the family and visiting the goldfields of qld. Spending a few nights at western creek stn in mid sept swinging an sdc 2300.

Just wondering what weather i might expect in mid sept and if snakes are any problems there at this time.

Of course would appreciate any heads up to likely areas...my time on the ground will be limited with young family. Cheers waz

Hi Wazza78, I'll be heading to Western Creek next week have been trying to get out there since May. Mid September will still be ok, by the end of September into October starts to heat up, but coming from WA you'll find it ok.

As for snakes I've never had a problem, I don't think I've ever seen a snake out there.
Gold! well there has been a lot of coils over the place, if with the young family and time is limited try the horse paddock, across from the home stead.

Hope you have a good stay. Cheers Prooz.

Hi prooz

Many thanks for the info mate. will be sure to try that area. Good that it is close by too.

cant wait to hit the area. have no idea what to expect other than a few youtube videos lol.

i guess the gold in the area is coming from decomposing quartz reefs in basalts?
Is it pretty scattered across the station?

Really looking forward to hopefully nailing a QLD piece!

cheers waz

Yes it is scattered across the station, but easy enough to get around. If you don't want to venture down the tracks stick close to camp. I have found gold close to camp and plenty have before me, but it's all getting pretty flogged now but I'll still keep going for a while yet.

I don't know what the grass would be like at the moment, they have had rain so it's maybe a bit long. Haven't heard of any one being out there this year! but I bet there has been a few.

Cheers.

Latest posts