• Register to access all forum features  

TenOunce Tone
29 July 2014 06:14 pm

Google on steroids

Cheers, Tone

One man, One pan, One goal!

HunterHarvey
07 August 2014 01:27 pm

That looks great, will have to have a good look when I get home, thank you smile

dazza513
08 September 2014 07:59 pm

great detail but my computer needed alot of updates that i had avoided to load it!

dazza513
15 September 2014 11:03 pm

The Green Wanderer wrote:

Doesn't seem to want to load on android, could be im in a bad signal spot. Anyone else tried loading it on android devices?

Hmm doesn't work on my galaxy note 2 phone : (

aadelaidean
01 October 2014 07:40 pm

I dont know why but that page made my tablet crash, I am looking for a tracking app so I dont get lost in the bush.
Cheers Debra

HeadsUp wrote:

it wont run on Ipads yet and could be glitchy on Mozilla until July 22 but its all new . high resolution

have a play folks

http://nationalmap.nicta.com.au/

HeadsUp
Banned
Banned
01 October 2014 07:46 pm

what kind of tablet do you have Debra ?

If you have Ipad then there is MotionX HD GPS , Hema Maps also has route tracking , so does memory maps

whatever tablet you're using such as android , windows , Ipad etc , just do some googling for "mapping apps on xxx tablet"

smile

On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

aadelaidean
01 October 2014 08:01 pm

THankyou for replying. I have a galaxy 10.1 android tablet and I will google as you suggested. Cheers Debra

HeadsUp wrote:

what kind of tablet do you have Debra ?

If you have Ipad then there is MotionX HD GPS , Hema Maps also has route tracking , so does memory maps

whatever tablet you're using such as android , windows , Ipad etc , just do some googling for "mapping apps on xxx tablet"

smile

SnJ
13 November 2014 02:44 pm

HeadsUp wrote:

there will apparently be quite a few developments in mapping this year so i wont rush in to changing devices too much until it all settles in

currently google earth maps can be up to 6 - 10 year old images and low resolution

Whats coming is maps that are all less than 3 months old and high resolution too

data from mining departments around the country will become cross platform compatible

fingers crossed they provide whats on my shopping list such as GPS active maps so you can walk out in the field and see exactly where you are in relation to the border of leases , national parks or reserves , show the boundaries of crown land / private land and have accuracy of 3 - 5 metres , plus navigate your way to geological features and mineral locations.

Oh , and if you didnt notice yet , that national mapping page will have the ability to import data sets and probably the option of adding data layers so you can click on a spot and get historical data such as who operated a mine , how much gold was found , links to old newspaper articles and drill results ..... the possibilities are endless.

Wow. I love the online Australian mineral mapping data and how helpful it is, and this new stuff sounds great! I'm embarrassed to say it, but there is no comparison to what we have to deal with here in the US; the only way to find out claim boundaries is to go to a government office and look up the claim form and get the exact location off of that. There is absolutely no online mapping of locations, only a list of claims in given areas. Makes it really difficult to stay off claims. I found it easier to contact the claim owner directly and ask him where it is so I don't intrude. They really appreciate the effort and often invite me to detect on their claim anyways. Others don't even know where the boundaries are, as they only bought it as an investment - to resell someday.
I can hardly wait to do my homework when I plan my expedition Down Under!

I find my gold in the hard to reach places - where others fear to tread.

Banana bread
29 December 2014 09:56 pm

Awesome Tool, thanks for posting!

But I can still recommend Geovic for Victoria and minview for NSW!

I Also recommend The earth resources page of the Dapartment of state development business and innovation For lots of useful gold maps of Vic smile

Cheers,

Banana Bread (BB)

Give Me A Home Among The Gumtrees!

SunriseBoy
14 August 2015 12:27 pm

As I'm too much of a dummy to understand this tekno-speak about the digital mapping; will someone tell me the best place to get relatively up-to-date topo maps, please.

Baldy
14 August 2015 02:41 pm

Hi Sunrise Boy..I bit the bullet and bought an I Pad...about $800..then put Hema standard topo maps .1:250,000... For 29$..you have to get an IPad with the built in Gps...then it works without internet connection..puts your position on the map..and sat imagery as well..way points I think does most of the things we need...other apps are available for free for navigation as well..takes pic does everything better than my lap top..put it in your back pack when in the bush never get lost and have google sat out in the field with you as well.cheers.the cost of a hema 7 is around 700 so the IPad is a good deal I've got a dash mount and use it in the car as you would the Hema 7..

Last edited by Baldy (14 August 2015 02:43 pm)

Swinging a 4500 , 2300 .Digging a Keen 140 Dry blower, Smashing dolly pot, Laying back in a Chair..

SunriseBoy
14 August 2015 02:47 pm

Thanks for that Baldy. But hell...this is all getting very cosmic (and expensive) for me.

Though I have to say I do like the idea of the GPS thing.

SunriseBoy
14 August 2015 02:57 pm

Thanks for that Baldy. But hell...this is all getting very cosmic (and expensive) for me.

Though I have to say I do like the idea of the GPS thing.

SunriseBoy
05 October 2015 12:45 pm

After endeavouring to deal with the digital mapping thing, I've realized it's simply just far to stressful trying to find out how to get the pile of techno-speak into my poor little brain.

I guess I'll just have to find hard-copy maps somewhere.

1 user likes this post: robmoto

Baldy
05 October 2015 02:13 pm

I know what yo u mean Sunrise Bvoy..In a previous life many moons ago in the 70,s I was a Cartographer in survey corps Army,We made most of the 1:100,000 maps we use today..A lot of them I use to say why are we doing the remote maps in WA for...I know why now...Mines..I also did a couple of yrs looking at Sat imagery when it first came out in the mid 70,s for the state govt in Sth Aus..Wow the tech we now have truely amazing..Now it's a new ball game ..Never too old to learn..

Swinging a 4500 , 2300 .Digging a Keen 140 Dry blower, Smashing dolly pot, Laying back in a Chair..

1 user likes this post: ctxkid

SunriseBoy
05 October 2015 03:13 pm

Well, apparently I am to old to learn. I've been sent to the various sites to see what's available and it appears every time I go somewhere new I have to spend hours trying to learn the cyber-speak there and the various downloads and how to use them.

Surely there must be a way to secure the mapping info without having to spend days in front of this gadget.

ThefilthyFrog
24 November 2016 04:46 pm

Nice share thanks for the site

My gear: Minelab goldmonster 1000, small river sluice with dream mat, small highbanker, keene dry blower.

Dodgershoot
29 September 2017 07:04 pm

Thanks for the link...the maps look awesome not only for prospecting but some 4wd fun as well

24 April 2018 02:09 am

Hi Guys,

I actually only just posted under another topic asking if people would find a mobile app useful with much of the combined features you have all mentioned, allowing for customisation, GPS tracking of trails, finds etc.

I have some experience in development and have contacts in geo surveying I may be able to call on to get such an app built.

If you would use it, what would be the key features you would most like to see?

Cheers,

2 users like this post: Matt80, Spyhunter

diggit
24 April 2018 02:59 am

Have you built mobile apps before?

Pirate pete
24 April 2018 10:40 am

If you build it They will come LOL

Ship of fools
24 April 2018 10:47 am

Karma wrote:

Hi Guys,

I actually only just posted under another topic asking if people would find a mobile app useful with much of the combined features you have all mentioned, allowing for customisation, GPS tracking of trails, finds etc.

I have some experience in development and have contacts in geo surveying I may be able to call on to get such an app built.

If you would use it, what would be the key features you would most like to see?

Cheers,

For me,
1, it’s gotta work without Mobile service.
2, show gazetted roads and 4wd tracks differently.
3, topography.
4, mines history.
Matt T

Fools go where angels fear to tred.
HMV $5k, White Tdi, Garrett’s Infiinium and Max, XP mi-4 pinpointer, pots, pans, picks, shovels, and a lot of blurred thinking!

Whisp
24 April 2018 11:06 am

Pirate pete wrote:

If you build it They will come LOL

That sounds like a quote from the area I go detecting in. smile

NB: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Spyhunter
13 August 2018 11:35 am

Can anyone share what information they use to narrow down an area like datasets, geosets etc? from http://nationalmap.nicta.com.au/]

SD 2100, GM 1000 pick shovel and lots of enthusiasm

Lint44
31 October 2018 10:07 pm

Wow, that website is brilliant for prospecting. Its super clear. Shame it doesn't zoom in further.