You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

The Green Wanderer
11 July 2014 01:48 pm

Thanks karl,
Will have to give it a crack on the pc when I get home.

Wandering the north wherever the trail leads.

Matt80
16 July 2014 10:34 pm

Sooo much information to work with and explore big_smile
Thanks for the link HeadsUp

Ryan27
26 July 2014 07:55 pm

HeadsUp put me onto MotionX GPS HD. This an Apple App.
I gave it a run for its money today, and I will say that it got me to every waypoint and back to the car with no problem.
I left the detector in the car and I covered around 8 to 10 k's on foot, checking out everything that where of interest, clearings, puddlers, diggings, gullies, creeks, fence lines etc ,etc.
It seemed to be accurate to around 4 to 5 meters, accuracy improved if you stand still for awhile, this is due to satellite triangulation I think?
I managed to find some diggings that aren't on any maps. I was able to mark these and some other items of interest, like BIG detector holes ! ( they were filled back in )
Will be spending some more time with it tomorrow in some more gullies that are fairly remote.
The features on the App are pretty good, worth checking out.
Thanks HeadsUp.

2 users like this post: HeadsUp, Wolfau

loamer
26 July 2014 08:11 pm

Nice work mate. If you ever get a chance to watch any Jack Lang DVDs, he recommends the same process - walk the ground and come back later with a detector. Some people will say this is a waste of detecting time. I disagree, unless of course you are pushed for time. I also like the 5m +/- accuracy - pretty good. Will you be making maps and can you still use the camera capability while running the app?

1 user likes this post: Wolfau

Beagleboy
26 July 2014 08:31 pm

Ryan27 wrote:

I gave it a run for its money today, and I will say that it got me to every waypoint and back to the car with no problem.
I left the detector in the car and I covered around 8 to 10 k's on foot, checking out everything that where of interest, clearings, puddlers, diggings, gullies, creeks, fence lines etc ,etc.
It seemed to be accurate to around 4 to 5 meters, accuracy improved if you stand still for awhile, this is due to satellite triangulation I think?
I managed to find some diggings that aren't on any maps. I was able to mark these and some other items of interest, like BIG detector holes ! ( they were filled back in )
Will be spending some more time with it tomorrow in some more gullies that are fairly remote.
Thanks HeadsUp.

G'day mate. Are you using iPhone or iPad? This sounds like a good app. smile

Ryan27
26 July 2014 08:37 pm

I can keep all way points on the map program, points of interest I will code and store. What I like about the tracking function is that it records a blue line wherever you go. This will come handy when I go to work and grid the area.
I can take a photo of a point of interest and upload to that way point.
I agree with you in regards to leaving the detector alone when visiting a new area. I found out more in 6 To 7 hours of this particular area than I would have in a week of detecting. Tomorrow I plan to do much of the same.
I will be back next weekend to detect with a plan of action.
One thing I noticed is that conglomerate and Quartz was spread across the area and it wasn't concentrated in any particular spot. This I gather as being an ancient lead that was running at a higher altitude has eroded down and spread itself in every which way.
My guess is the gold will be spread the same. Hence why there is few diggings in the area. Simply put, the old timers found very few spots where it was concentrated.
The quartz wasn't shedding like reef quartz. I also found a few nice pieces of alluvial pink quartz on one rise. This rock had been in the water along time, a very long time ago !

2 users like this post: loamer, HeadsUp

Teemore
26 July 2014 08:41 pm

You're right Ryan27 the MotionX GPS is a great iPhone/iPad app, used to use it to track my daily exercise walks and seemed to be very accurate in that regards, distance, inclines, altitude, distance covered average/max speed all there and you can save each 'track' and see where you've been (seems better than 4-5m accuracy but that may be metro area related).
Then again guess I'm just a sucker for mapping related anything.
Although did give the "nearMap' special offer a miss, they were a great resource (for areas covered) where you could look at how areas have changed over a period of years, alas pretty expensive ay $100 a year and limited coverage of some of the goldfields.
Cheers T.

If you don't stand for something ..... You'll fall for anything !!
To be old and wise you must first be young and foolish.

Ryan27
26 July 2014 08:41 pm

Beagleboy wrote:
Ryan27 wrote:

Thanks HeadsUp.

G'day mate. Are you using iPhone or iPad? This sounds like a good app. smile

Ipad ! Unfortunately it wouldn't take to the iPhone.
Now that I have confidence in the GPS function, when I detect I will switch it off and only use it to get me home.
I did notice it likes the battery juice on the pad. So a quick charger is on the cards.

1 user likes this post: Beagleboy

Ryan27
26 July 2014 08:44 pm

Teemore wrote:

You're right Ryan27 the MotionX GPS is a great iPhone/iPad app, used to use it to track my daily exercise walks and seemed to be very accurate in that regards, distance, inclines, altitude, distance covered average/max speed all there and you can save each 'track' and see where you've been (seems better than 4-5m accuracy but that may be metro area related).
Then again guess I'm just a sucker for mapping related anything.
Although did give the "nearMap' special offer a miss, they were a great resource (for areas covered) where you could look at how areas have changed over a period of years, alas pretty expensive ay $100 a year and limited coverage of some of the goldfields.
Cheers T.

The accuracy was better when I stopped. However when I do recon I think the satellites had trouble keeping up with me. Lol

Nugget
26 July 2014 09:31 pm

As an alternative for Android, I've started playing with Backpacker GPS Trails Pro which so far looks promising. There's a trial / free version also.

loamer
26 July 2014 09:57 pm

Ryan - thanks for the very informative posts. The area as you describe sounds very promising - very geologically old to have weathered so well. I love areas with minimal diggings or diggings that have not been mapped. I usually reach the conclusion that the area was uneconomical to the diggers or and/or too patchy BUT very potentially productive for detecting. The scattering of conglomerate and pink coloured quartz - yum yum!!! I also look out for coloured slates and what I call rotten or mouse eaten quartz, also good signs. Good luck in there mate. Good motto - 'the easy is way is also usually the most detected way'.

1 user likes this post: HeadsUp

Ryan27
26 July 2014 10:07 pm

Nugget wrote:

As an alternative for Android, I've started playing with Backpacker GPS Trails Pro which so far looks promising. There's a trial / free version also.

These App based GPS mapping program's are the best thing I have seen in years.
If the maps are High Def. Even better. I was able to pick a 1mtr round shaft in the middle of nowhere and I found it today with ease. I think some good gold can be won using this technology and some research.
It has given me a lot more confidence in going further and deeper into unfamiliar country.
Keep us in the loop on the Android program.
I'm still learning Motion X, so far it has been user friendly.

1 user likes this post: loamer

Beagleboy
26 July 2014 10:15 pm

Ryan, I just got the app and looking forward to testing it. I am heading to GT tomorrow to visit a friend so I will have a crack at using it. Thanks for your posts.

HeadsUp
Banned
Banned
26 July 2014 10:16 pm

You're welcome Ryan

For anyone thinking of buying Ipads for field mapping , make sure you get the one with GPS built in , some models dont have it.

which maps did you import / customise ?

I am still learning with it but i download detailed topo or satellite / hybrid images of the areas i want before leaving home where the internet connection is "free"

I use the "record track" function before leaving the car so i dont walk around for a week looking for it later

its easy to add waypoints and details of that waypoint, it will record time travelled, distance, elevation, direction

http://support.motionx.com/tutorials/mo … tutorials/

On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

Ryan27
26 July 2014 10:24 pm

loamer wrote:

Ryan - thanks for the very informative posts. The area as you describe sounds very promising - very geologically old to have weathered so well. I love areas with minimal diggings or diggings that have not been mapped. I usually reach the conclusion that the area was uneconomical to the diggers or and/or too patchy BUT very potentially productive for detecting. The scattering of conglomerate and pink coloured quartz - yum yum!!! I also look out for coloured slates and what I call rotten or mouse eaten quartz, also good signs. Good luck in there mate. Good motto - 'the easy is way is also usually the most detected way'.

I agree with you Loamer,
Few diggings doesn't denote no gold!
I'm going to have a look higher(altitude)in the morning. There is no reef work in this area, not even any test cuts on the down hill side of a couple of outcrops I discovered. Which says to me the area is placer only. It is definitely detector country. However this area needs to be worked slowly and methodically to find the targets. The other reason that the diggings are few is No water within a kilometre. Another reason maybe that 3kms away is a extremely large and rich field, (grass was greener)

Ryan27
26 July 2014 10:27 pm

Beagleboy wrote:

Ryan, I just got the app and looking forward to testing it. I am heading to GT tomorrow to visit a friend so I will have a crack at using it. Thanks for your posts.

I'm sure you will have fun, I had one of those breakthrough moments today.

Ryan27
26 July 2014 10:55 pm

HeadsUp wrote:

You're welcome Ryan

For anyone thinking of buying Ipads for field mapping , make sure you get the one with GPS built in , some models dont have it.

which maps did you import / customise ?

I am still learning with it but i download detailed topo or satellite / hybrid images of the areas i want before leaving home where the internet connection is "free"

I use the "record track" function before leaving the car so i dont walk around for a week looking for it later

its easy to add waypoints and details of that waypoint, it will record time travelled, distance, elevation, direction

http://support.motionx.com/tutorials/mo … tutorials/

I haven't imported any map program's yet. Basically what I did is had a quick look a Doug Stones map, had a bit of a giggle, then went and picked out an area 2 to 3k's away on the HD map that had no visible diggings. I spotted a couple of suspect areas with the odd shaft and a little surface work. That's where I started my mission. I look for small dams or what seems to be on the map as anomalies in the terrain and begin plotting way points. However I head for higher ground first, here I can get a better view of the fall of the land and spot any disturbed ground in the gullies better.
After Reading Loamers post on what to look for I got a deeper understanding of the geology of gold and it's movement towards the lower points. The indicators jump out at me now!
I plan to use this program to apply a little more method to my gold fever madness.
Today I came out here with a plan and I stuck to my plan.
Once I feel that the hill and it's gullies have given me all I need to know.
Out comes the heavy artillery (gpx)
Please Note for the record, I did take a compass and I did make myself familiar with the sun and any notable land marks.
Which wasn't many because the scrub was dense in some parts.
However this was the first time with this program and I felt having plan B was a good idea.

HeadsUp
Banned
Banned
27 July 2014 01:33 am

So far i have imported 10,000 google earth waypoints using Itunes drag n drop

convert KMZ to .GPS here

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

and make yourself a map here

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input

re your plan B . always a good idea

I have an antique ( 6 years old ) lowrance Go which i hide in my pocket until nobody is looking but its as sophisticated as riding a jersey cow in the melbourne cup

On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

rgmhot
27 July 2014 10:10 pm

Hi, I don't have Internet on my phone, do I need it for this or do I just turn the gps on and add the app?

Xterra 705

Nanjim
27 July 2014 11:10 pm

Bump…..

HeadsUp

I just had a bit of a play with this on my MacBook works ok in 2D
i will down load Google Chrome and see what the differance is
Thanks for the Link

Cheers
Jim

APLA Member. A bad days prospecting beats a good days work anytime....

Beagleboy
28 July 2014 08:52 am

rgmhot wrote:

Hi, I don't have Internet on my phone, do I need it for this or do I just turn the gps on and add the app?

What phone are you using? This is an app for iPad. There is an app for iPhone as well but I think it's a cut down version. I have not used it.

Last edited by Beagleboy (28 July 2014 08:57 am)

Beagleboy
28 July 2014 08:56 am

Ryan27 wrote:
Beagleboy wrote:

I'm sure you will have fun, I had one of those breakthrough moments today.

Had a play with it yesterday and it does chew the battery a bit. Very good app though. I just have to learn how to use it properly.

Nugget
28 July 2014 09:01 am

rgmhot wrote:

You'll need to download the app over a data connection (WiFi, 3G/4G) as well as saving / downloading any offline maps, overlays etc. Once you've done this you can get away with just connecting to satellites to track your position providing the app supports it.

Redfin
28 July 2014 06:35 pm

Am I missing something with Nat Maps and the associated Bing ariels , topo's etc?
They appear very old. They show a tree I cut down about 18 months ago, wheras Google Earth shows a trailer I parked in Dunolly 3 weeks ago.

Det used - Whites 6000D, ML SD2000, ML SD 2001, ML SD 2200D, Garrett Infinium. Minelab SDC 2300.Minelab GPX 4500. Minelab GPX 5000.
Minelab GPZ 7000. --------------------Current Det - Garrett ASD Groundhog. . .Minelab GPX 6000

Brumble-Gum
28 July 2014 08:03 pm

Vulcan State Forest must be recent, white snow everywhere...........not that I'm looking to see where the snow drifts have melted to see low spots. This must have been taken straight after the snows unfortunately.

Walbanker, Bazooka Gold Sluice.
GPX 5000, Makro Gold Racer.