HARD ROCK MINING on a tight budget: (1)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pmsl mate.....your right bro, harden the f**** up is what i always tell others. Should take my own advice hey. ;)

Later mate.

This is of great interest to me ........thankyou mbasco, just what im after.

Helps to magnify what dwt has taught me, though it is hard to beat his hands-on experience in low budget extraction.
Getting him away from the TV is the hard part.

Excellent info on mining steeply dipping Ore bodies as opposed to flatter Ore bodies, technique decision factors, backfilling for safety and profit...........with a great case study on sublevel stoping at Olympic Dam.

Thanks again mate, much appreciated ;)

Meta

Another drill worth getting hold of is an Ingersoll Rand Silver 3. I have one and use it often. It has been rebuilt a number of times and goes like the clappers. Its nearly 50 years old and still my favourite. Airleg is rebuildable too. I got mine 25 years ago for 50 bucks.

DetectaDave said:
Another drill worth getting hold of is an Ingersoll Rand Silver 3. I have one and use it often. It has been rebuilt a number of times and goes like the clappers. Its nearly 50 years old and still my favourite. Airleg is rebuildable too. I got mine 25 years ago for 50 bucks.
Sounds like a bargain at that price mate ;)

Great info but a pretty simple message here. A thread titled Hard Rock mining on a tight budget. Not going to happen. Just the methods posted here require equipment, which costs thousands of dollars and their use is beyond anyone not trained. Before you even think of getting some of the equipment mentioned you need to register a claim. In Vic it is over $7k for the application, then the Native Title issue needs to be addressed. You will need to put up a bond, pay insurance for public liability, then finally after a year or two you might be able to start work. By this time you will have invested say 40k. You then need a drill or two, compressor, rock bolts, ore skip and rails, timbers for safety in the mine, and a suitable vehicle to haul it all. You then need to set up a crushing and processing plant or pay to use someone else's set up. All up cost to start a small underground hard rock mine not much change from 100k. You can do it cheaper with smaller tenements and other little tricks known to a few. But if you are going to set up a hard rock mine, think long and hard about it. As someone once said. The best way in mining to make a small fortune is start with a large one.

Well said Dave. That's the first sensible post I've read in this thread. None of the methods recommended here can be done on a tight budget or without knowing what your doing.

I didn't think Daves comments were unnecessarily OTT.

Then you came along sir. Classic case of throwing bombs from the sideline. I'm sure it comes from an educated and intelligent mind and assessed as such. However with 3000 plus views there's an obvious interest in the topic and I suspect largely due to the underlying fact there is not much written on the subject.

So if you feel that university educated mind could be put to better use than a backhanded comment in an attempt to undermine or question the OP feel free to add in a 101 of your own or find somewhere else to share your views Ilikegold.

If you feel I'm out of line hit the pm button mate. A bloke taking the time to share with others without wanting anything in return deserves more than the sum total of your comment.

I think some need to go back & read what the context of hard rock mining on a tight budget is for this thread. Right back in the very first post where the context is set it says "So lets start with you have a small hard rock mining lease approved and your going to kick off with a shaft sink"
Nobody is saying you can do this type of small scale mining unapproved or for nothing. It's pretty obvious reading through the posts that it will cost a substantial amount of money even on a tight budget. Being on a tight budget doesn't mean your trying to do it penniless but rather do it at the least cost possible to achieve an outcome. Is it possible - maybe, but the individual or group of individuals would need dedication by the truck load, suitable skillsets & a fair amount of disposable funds that may or may not even give them back a return especially in the short term. It's definitely not impossible.

This thread was always going to cause some type of 'shouldn't be doing that' or 'shouldn't be saying this', it happend quite a while ago with another forum member that saw Nugget remove the hostile and negative posts that were put up, some people don't agree with this style/type of mining, others think that what happens underground stays underground.
I've never liked ones who plunge they're heads in the sand, or think that they are the be all and end all of mining, the information I provide comes from a long line of highly expierenced miners who I have/still work with.
I will not engage in a heated confrontation with any other forum members that see this thread as incorrect or shouldn't be posted, there's a PM button or a report button for that, feel free to use it.
As for the tight budget, there are plenty of guys tight budgeting small scale shows, wether their budget be 100k or the dirt they break.
All grounds different, all mining styles are different, different engineering designs, different ideas, different drill patterns, different firing patterns, different minerals, different extraction types, let's not confuse these with personal ideas of 'this is how it should only be done'
This topic has strayed a bit from the tight budget heading, but that happens from time to time on a forum, and in mining!
:)

I love this thread.

Its been very informative and deserves its place here without doubt. For people with a thirst for knowledge of anything mining its threads like these that make a great forum. Who cares if most people may not be able afford to set up a small scale mine.......it never hurts to dream!

Keep it coming DWT, great stuff

Keep it coming DWT,
I don't know stuff all about mining techniques and coming from a person who has first hand experience I find
this very informative.
Sure, I do not have any where near the funds to start some thing like blowing a hole under ground but at least I have an insight on what goes on. :D

Please keep it going DWT ... enjoy reading this thread.. very informative. .. keep it up :D

We are all aloud to dream..

Thanks for the votes of confidence fellow forum members, I never intended stopping this thread no matter who jumps up and down or what some others might have to say, I respect other people's opinions, until they produce them with a chest pushed out.
Anyways, DetectaDave raises a good point on the costs of setting up a lease, I am no expert in this area so that's why I started this thread off with 'you already have your lease approved'
If anyone feels they need to jump in and point out the particulars with starting off setting up a lease from wo to go then I'm all for it, don't feel you'll be hijacking this thread, I'm sure it would slot in nicely.

Just as a add on note: one of the inderviguals that visits this site and is also a mentor of mine happens to be a superintendent of a large mine, he started off his mining career with a pan and shovel and eventually set up his own small scale mine back in the 90's, worked it competently and sold it for some good coin, he then worked his way up the ranks in mining to where he is today, this info isn't being pulled from my 'DATE' it's a mix of hands on expierence and invaluable info from dedicated, passionate miners, wether they be in small scale or large ;)

yobskin said:
I just ignore the rubbish even from newbies....until they find there feet.... Dwt i think your ok i read it this morning...hahaha...infedels.

Hey there yobskin, have you dosed upp your pain killers or something?
Go have a hotdog and rest mate :D

Latest posts