Whites SPP v Minelab GPX5000 - EMI

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzie1957

Wayne Blyton
Reaction score
Picked up a new SPP, yesterday, from the boys in Dunolly. According to the blurb I've seen on this machine it handles EMI very well.
Hoping this to be the case and will be trying the following with this machine and my GPX5000:

Electric fence vs both
Town power vs both
20000v dirty big overhead vs both
Radio tower vs both
Any other 'orrible place I can think of

Really keen to see if this little (3lb) machine will let me into areas I can't get near with the 5k.

Mozzie I don't think you will be disappointed as I hunt for coins with the TDI in town with no problems.

Out for a while, today, with the new Whites SPP. Been blown away by how well this machine handles EMI. I pulled an air rifle pellet at 2" and the bum of a shotty cartridge at 8" right smack bang under big power lines. Not 20' from a transformer pole and directly under the wires. Unless signalling the SPP's threshold remained dead steady. This is a spot, on the edge of town, I couldn't get within 50 yards of with the 5k. Stuart Bonny arrived and ran his GM3 over a spot not far away and nailed a coupla weenies in minutes. Onya Stu. I was able to run the SPP within a few feet of Stu and get no interference from the GM3. In fact, my machine played up with his. Cannot run the 5k within 100 yards of that GM3 without the 5k starting to go off its' head.
The rain buggered the day so keen for a break in the weather and give this little machine a real go.
2 negs about this machine, far as I'm concerned are: power hungry, went through a battery pack in 'bout 2and a half hours. Alkaline batteries that were supplied with the machine so not sure how good they were so maybe not a fair assessment. Also comes with a rechargeable battery pack that I haven't run flat, as yet, but will.
The other neg, and maybe I'm being niggly, is that the inbuilt speaker is fitted to the top of the control box which makes easy access for rain if your caught out.
Very steady little PI machine.
I was running a 12 X 7 NF coil.

Bit more testing to do but, so far, very impressed with this machine.

Thanks for the feedback mozzie. I'm currently considering a white's detector for my next purchase, at this stage I'm looking at the TDI Pro.

Nugget go with the SPP. Why? Its very easy to use. Just switch on and go and you don't need to worry which settings your using.

mozzie1957 said:
Out for a while, today, with the new Whites SPP. Been blown away by how well this machine handles EMI. I pulled an air rifle pellet at 2" and the bum of a shotty cartridge at 8" right smack bang under big power lines. Not 20' from a transformer pole and directly under the wires. Unless signalling the SPP's threshold remained dead steady. This is a spot, on the edge of town, I couldn't get within 50 yards of with the 5k. Stuart Bonny arrived and ran his GM3 over a spot not far away and nailed a coupla weenies in minutes. Onya Stu. I was able to run the SPP within a few feet of Stu and get no interference from the GM3. In fact, my machine played up with his. Cannot run the 5k within 100 yards of that GM3 without the 5k starting to go off its' head.
The rain buggered the day so keen for a break in the weather and give this little machine a real go.
2 negs about this machine, far as I'm concerned are: power hungry, went through a battery pack in 'bout 2and a half hours. Alkaline batteries that were supplied with the machine so not sure how good they were so maybe not a fair assessment. Also comes with a rechargeable battery pack that I haven't run flat, as yet, but will.
The other neg, and maybe I'm being niggly, is that the inbuilt speaker is fitted to the top of the control box which makes easy access for rain if your caught out.
Very steady little PI machine.
I was running a 12 X 7 NF coil.

Bit more testing to do but, so far, very impressed with this machine.

Always carry a plastic bag with you.

Wolfau said:
Nugget go with the SPP. Why? Its very easy to use. Just switch on and go and you don't need to worry which settings your using.

Still need to tweak the gain and ground balance to get a stable threshold.

Wolfau said:

Thanks for the advice Wolfau, but settings don't really phase me as long as the machine can perform well in the right hands. From what I've been reading the TDI Pro (Oz) is a fairly decent machine which I'm hoping will be able to handle the type of ground up at Nundle. I won't be buying for a while yet so I'm still in the research stage, the machine I end getting could very well change.

Nugget said:
Wolfau said:

Thanks for the advice Wolfau, but settings don't really phase me as long as the machine can perform well in the right hands. From what I've been reading the TDI Pro (Oz) is a fairly decent machine which I'm hoping will be able to handle the type of ground up at Nundle. I won't be buying for a while yet so I'm still in the research stage, the machine I end getting could very well change.

From what I've heard the TDI Pro is a good machine and I still believe the Whites are very underrated - most seem fixated on Minelab or Garrett. I got the SPP because it's a PI machine that'll let me detect areas that I can't with the 5000. Thought of hiring a TDI, Nugget, and giving it a whirl?

I am tempted to hire the SPP out as it has been offered to to me and I own a GP 3500
which i would sell and bank $1500.

The big difference and the most important is that with one you need to adjust the pulse delay and
and the conductivity target and the SPP you don't.

So the SPP has been setup for small gold at a pulse rate of 10.

Steve has reviewed it here.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/213-whites-sierra-pulse-pro-whites-spp/

So you need to know exactly what a pulse delay is and how it works and the best settings for
the sized targets your looking for along with the best conductivity choice.

Most machines you need to adjust sensitivity and do a manual ground balance anyway so this is no
big deal.

The issue with these gold pi detectors is that you don't have as many using one
brand compared to another hence the success you hear about is more about one than the other.

mozzie1957 said:
Picked up a new SPP, yesterday, from the boys in Dunolly. According to the blurb I've seen on this machine it handles EMI very well.
Hoping this to be the case and will be trying the following with this machine and my GPX5000:

Electric fence vs both
Town power vs both
20000v dirty big overhead vs both
Radio tower vs both
Any other 'orrible place I can think of

Really keen to see if this little (3lb) machine will let me into areas I can't get near with the 5k.

A good coil to use and this may have been shared with you is a nugget finder 17x11.

If it helps anyone make there mind up the SL and SPP have a more stable threshold than the TDI pro allowing it to detect small gold easier' even tho the TDI pro runs at a higher voltage and can go deeper but you'll miss those targets. I've got a TDI pro and it will give a nice response in an EMI filled area to a 0.1 gram maybe at a 1" anything smaller I've got other detectors for that. The SPP would be a great match with a Gold bug 2 or GMT. Unfortunately there isn't a detector out there that can do it all. I personally think the TDI pro and GMT I've got' just about covers what I want to do. Its just got to make you happy not all your mates.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
If it helps anyone make there mind up the SL and SPP have a more stable threshold than the TDI pro allowing it to detect small gold easier' even tho the TDI pro runs at a higher voltage and can go deeper but you'll miss those targets. I've got a TDI pro and it will give a nice response in an EMI filled area to a 0.1 gram maybe at a 1" anything smaller I've got other detectors for that. The SPP would be a great match with a Gold bug 2 or GMT. Unfortunately there isn't a detector out there that can do it all. I personally think the TDI pro and GMT I've got' just about covers what I want to do. Its just got to make you happy not all your mates.

I did test the tdi pro and was going to add a reply about
The threshold hum not being as smooth as i liked it
but edited my reply.

Glad though you replied with your experience.

Don't get me wrong the TDI threshold I can get to run as smooth as the sd2100 and gp3000 I had' but you still will get the odd pop and crackle but the SPP & SL is soooo smooth like a GMT with gain turned right down, it's very nice on the ears.

mozzie1957 said:
Thought of hiring a TDI, Nugget, and giving it a whirl?

I have thought about it, but unfortunately there's no one close by hiring them out.

Nugget said:
mozzie1957 said:

I have thought about it, but unfortunately there's no one close by hiring them out.

Pity you're not down my way, Nugget, I believe the boys at Dunolly hire 'em out. Bit far away for ya.
If you were closer be glad to give you a bash with the SPP.

mozzie1957 said:
Nugget said:
mozzie1957 said:

Pity you're not down my way, Nugget, I believe the boys at Dunolly hire 'em out. Bit far away for ya.
If you were closer be glad to give you a bash with the SPP.

Yeah a little far unfortunately, I appreciate the offer though.

Nugget I'll be in my home town Coonabarabran this coming weekend you could drive across one arvo for a few hours you could have a play on dad's property there is some exposed bed rock about' I can't allow much time but maybe a few hours?

Thanks the offer mate but Coonabarabran is still a fair drive and I don't won't to put anyone out. I wont be buying for a little while yet so it's not that urgent, for now I'll keep researching my options.

Latest posts