Grabben Gullen Camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauly

Paul
Reaction score
Hi All

Ive looking through the posts and checking out some vids on Grabben Gullen Sapphires and now I keen, my wife and daughters would like that place I think. I was planning on Nundle this weekend but I think Grabbens got me :). We can camp pretty much anywhere as long as theres a bit of flat ground. We have a Landcruiser and offroad camper and can be fully self sufficient so bush is better than a camp park. We have 2 dogs so NP is out.

Anybody have any suggestions close to the creek we could look at?

Hi Pauly...Grabben Gullen Creek is mainly on private property. There is however 2 areas suitable for your camper and you should be able to get some good stones from both. The first is at the bridge crossing where Sapphire Road crosses Grabben Gullen Creek. There's a nice flat area just beside the creek ideal for camping. The second is not far away on private property. The owners are very good friends of mine and there is a nice camping area on the property right on the stream ...but as it is a sheep property and he has around 15 sheep dogs this may be a problem.....Cheers Wal. :)

Arghh Private property is always an issue. Its pretty tough getting onto working properties with dogs, understandably so. Too many people let their dogs run and forget their playing on somebodies lively hood. We see idiots who think its funny letting their dogs chase wildlife which just cruels it for everyone. My wife shows these pair and they are worth way too much to let them be loose. We stayed on a working property at Bingarra, he was a funny fella he just wanted to nick my dog and use it on his cattle. Maybe we will have to find a base camp somewhere then head out to the creek area for a day trip to check out the camp area near the bridge. If we get to meet any of the property owners we may get lucky. Is area near the creek heavily fossicked or are you still in with a decent chance?

You'd have no probs camping at the bridge with the dogs and there are still some good sapphires to be found. The floods have redeposited many stones and a short walk down the stream will get you into some good areas. Send me a PM and I'll give you some additional info on the other spot. I'll make a phone call for you and I recon you'll be OK If the dogs are controlled. Cheers Wal.

I'm also interested in some further info on grabben Gullen if you have any available? We are also self sufficient campers. No dogs but 2 kids that like finding all the sparkly stones in mummy's sieves. ;) would be nice to check out some new areas.

I'd actually love info on anywhere within about 3 hours of the blue mountains if anyone has suggestions. Love sapphires but would be ecstatic to find some gold flecks in a pan also.

Hi Wal and Liz I watched one of your clips today and inspired me for a road trip towards crookwell. It is a beautiful spot. My wife and I just had a look with our hands and found a few little things. Any how I too live in canberra and know little about the game and wonder if my wife and I could learn more? From yo both? My email is [email address removed for privacy reasons]

Hope to hear from you talk soon.

Hi Jordan, welcome to the forum.

To protect our members privacy we don't allow email addresses to be posted on the forum. There's an option in your profile to allow members to email you without disclosing your email address to the public. Alternatively the private messaging feature is unlocked after you make 10 posts.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Cheers,
Nugget

Jordan&Inna said:
Hi Wal and Liz I watched one of your clips today and inspired me for a road trip towards crookwell. It is a beautiful spot. My wife and I just had a look with our hands and found a few little things. Any how I too live in canberra and know little about the game and wonder if my wife and I could learn more? From yo both? My email is [email address removed for privacy reasons]

Hope to hear from you talk soon.

Welcome to the forum Jordan & Inna, The first thing you need to get is two sieves. A 1/4" sieve and 1/8" sieve. The best place to get these is from Brad at Detect a Den down Batemans Bay. He has the "High Sided" ones, and they're the best in Summer when there's leaches about.(saves sticking your hands in the water).

You'll also need a pair of Gum Boots and a pointy nose shovel. I'd recommend a gold pan also as there is a bit of gold in the stream as well. The Garrett Super Sluice is by far the best pan for Sapphire areas. As soon as you get 10 posts up send me a PM and I'll let you know where your best chances are for a few good stones. All the best,

Cheers Wal.

I have looked at Brad's website very good and easy to use. I shall order the 3 things you said. I guess you put it in the seive first to catch the heavies and then let the fines fall in to the pan?

I'M looking forwarded to going down there again just to have a look and another play to see if I find anything.
when I was there I saw some people with their caravan and lots of dogs is that the owner of the property? and is he open to the idea pf people on his property if you ask?

thank you Jordan.

P.s I have a property towards bega and it has been explored by mining explorationsiests and they did find gold but it was not worth the investment.
so I guess for people like use it is worth it on the small scale.

Sure is Jordan, The big boys need large deposits to make the ventures worthwhile. Apart from Nerrigundah and the Mogo fields all the rest were smaller isolated pockets in the region, and although "Small" some were quite rich in grams/ cu mtrs. The Bega region has plenty of good returns for those who persevere.

Cheers Wal.

Jordan&Inna said:
I have looked at Brad's website very good and easy to use. I shall order the 3 things you said. I guess you put it in the seive first to catch the heavies and then let the fines fall in to the pan?

I'M looking forwarded to going down there again just to have a look and another play to see if I find anything.
when I was there I saw some people with their caravan and lots of dogs is that the owner of the property? and is he open to the idea pf people on his property if you ask?

thank you Jordan.

That caravan and the dogs are only there temporarily, and that area is public land. He will be moving shortly, so the noisy dogs will be going with him. He trains them and sells them as sheep working dogs. He's a friend of a friend of Owens' ( property owner). Your more than welcome to walk past them and fossick up the creek. The dogs won't bite, but they are very noisy and look intimidating.

Cheers Wal.

Jordan&Inna said:
P.s I have a property towards bega and it has been explored by mining explorationsiests and they did find gold but it was not worth the investment.
so I guess for people like use it is worth it on the small scale.

wish i had a property like that to search over

I dont know if the gold there is going to be deep or shallow , fine flour gold or nuggets but have you considered going over it with a detector ?

you can hire the top of the line GPX 5000 detectors from a couple of places which is better than paying $ 6700 for a new one.

search the forum here for posts on " loaming " , there is a book available on the topic by Sam Cash for only $ 18 on Amazon which might help

Then you get to discover where the gold is , what form its in and how to best recover it efficiently

you're not supposed to use "mechanical means" to recover gold in NSW unless you have an exploration licence , but if you own the property i guess you could always dig a few post holes with the tractor for that new fence and later on you might decide to process the dirt you dug out with a sluice or highbanker or pan.

hope you enjoy the exercise and sunshine while looking

Thanks Wal and Liz for letting me know about the dogs.

Heads up thank you for your reply also can you hire any where closer to canberra or would detect a den be the closest?

I imagine they are pretty straight forward to use?

Jordan&Inna said:

Heads up thank you for your reply also can you hire any where closer to canberra or would detect a den be the closest?

Brad is opening a new Detect a Den shop in Fyshwick shortly and will have a full rage of all the gear you need as well as detectors for hire. I'll talk to him shortly and get the exact opening day for you. Be a great place to go for a cup of coffee and a chat i recon. :)

Cheers Wal.

I would really be intrested in knowing when it will be open or even just to talk to him to see if he ever comes up to canberra i might give him a call this week and see if we could arrange something. Otherwise it will just be a nice trip down to the coast. P.s it is a strange question but are there people that do this full time and can live off it?

Jordan&Inna said:

I know Miners Den in Parramatta Hire them and i recall somewhere on the South Coast ? but hopefully other members can advise better

Straight forward to use ?

Only if you spend several hours studying first

If you set them up wrong you could walk over gold and get no signal or fail to recognise the signals you do get.

Watch Youtube videos on using one or look for the training videos , some of which cost up to $ 80 new :rolleyes:

ask as many questions as you can on setup , make notes and use the settings you are told to start with for your kind of ground there . and ground balance regularly if you're on changing ground types.

The hirer should also give you basic starting points.

hint :
dont wear boots with steel in them
keep the coil low to the ground and use slow sweeps
try chaining so you dont miss anything or cover the same ground twice
( dragging something from your belt to leave marks on the ground to help with keeping a close grid )

good luck

Jordan&Inna said:
I would really be intrested in knowing when it will be open or even just to talk to him to see if he ever comes up to canberra i might give him a call this week and see if we could arrange something. Otherwise it will just be a nice trip down to the coast. P.s it is a strange question but are there people that do this full time and can live off it?

The missus and I do it fulltime, not millionaires yet, but we manage to live of it. Best thing about it is the lifestyle, nothing better than spending your days wandering around the bush or digging in the creek. Stress free too, I reckon if I had kept my company going I would die of a heartie or something by 50. No point waiting till you retire, too bloody old to enjoy it then.

DD

Ps there are lots of good gold spots near the Detector Den, you could drive down and make a day of it.

Thank you heads up I shall do my research before hiring one. I don't want to waste time and money.

Digger dude thank you for your reply also I am interested in trying the life for myself. I imagine there was a bit of scarifies and lots of planning to ride the dry times? Once you were in the routine though it would become easier to manage. For me it seems like I need a lot of practice and to gain more knowledge maybe some savings too.

Thank you for your feed back I'd like to learn more from you about this life I am very interested?

Does the campsite have showers and running water available?
Are cabins available?
What are all the tools needed for digging?

Thanks