GC1005, settings for gold, coins, metals ect

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi im new to the detecting scene and i have just brought my very first metal dectector, it is nothing flash by any means, it is a GC1005. just a cheap one but its what i could afford at the moment, i was wondering what settings thing were to pick them up as a metal detector will fine any metals but wondering what settings people have them to hone in on cirtian things. I know it sounds like a bit of a silly question but i am just curious thanks guys.

The Gold Century 1005 metal detector is designed and built in the USA and may not be suited to the highly mineralised ground in Australia. The soil in the USA is a lot less mineralised than ours we have a high iron content in our soil. It may not be able to be used in the goldfields, state forests or the beach but it should work just fine in the parks for relic hunting.

Your best bet regarding settings is to refer to the manufacturers manual which can be found here:

http://metaldetectings.com/request.php?1004

Hope this helps :D

PS. The only silly question is the one you didn't ask :)

These are Chinese detectors but do work to a degree. I had a GC1038 & found a bit of stuff with it - all junk :lol:
Best way to work out the settings etc. is get some different targets like small iron, lead, brass, different size coins etc. & do some testing in the backyard. Play around with the discrimination & see if you can blank out the iron. If you can do that at least anything else may be worth digging. Also see what the coins etc. are registering on the ferrous/non ferrous view meter & record them. Might help to further identify possible targets?
Unfortunately with these machines you need to have a bit of a play about to get your own settings - no real tried & true set up that I have seen for them. I think a couple of others on here may have used the GC1038 too so they may be able to add some more? Different machines but similar type of set up on them.
Good luck.

I had a similar detector when I first started out, it was a Micronta unit with a few more functions, but never really had much luck with it. Worse thing to probably look out for, is false signals if you bump the coil against something, so just something to watch out for. Should be ok for picking up coins in the dry sand, or in tot lots at the park, probably the first places I would give it a run at. I think I was just expecting a bit too much from it to go nugget hunting as a teenager. Hope you have some good luck with it. :)

i finally brought a Bounty Hunter Treasure Hunter so a little play and ill put out some targets to see what things come up with and see if i can cut iron out with the discrimination and ill let you know what i might find up in ararat when i go there for my first time using it after i set it up. thank you to everyone who has given the helpful tips and advise. Thank you again and i hope to share some successful stories with some pictures soon
Hazbeen

Latest posts