NSW Boat License

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a fishing boat nothing overly big and powerful but would like some room on it to move about say something around 4 to 5 metres in length and around 30 -50hp. Anyway been doing some reading on the NSW maritime website and another fishing forum and there seems to be some confusion as to when a boat licence is required, to tell the truth I cant find the right information myself on the NSW maritime website. Now from what I've read and everyone is in agreement that you are required to have a boat license if your boat does more then 10 knots, this is when the boat will start to rise out the water and plane. Now the question is that everyone seems to be confused about is can I legally drive a boat that can do more than 10 knots but don't ever intend on doing so? so say for example ...I go out and buy a Quintrex 18 foot aluminium boat with 75hp engine, can I legally drive this boat at or under 10 knots.. even though its quite capable of going much faster..on a dam without being hassled by the cops for a license.

NSW TRANSPORT MARITIME - BOATING HANDBOOK said:
Boat driving licence
The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed.
Any person who is the master of a powered vessel operating recreationally on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots (18.5kph) or more must have a boat driving licence.
Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it.
The exception is that anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

Correct, you can have twin yamaha V8 350's on the back and anyone can drive it so long as you are under 10 knots, extremely sensible law!

You'll need a licenced driver to sign off on you having joined them for boating familiarisation sessions before you take the test though.

I recall a long time ago my boating instructor telling me I could drive the queen mary as long as I stayed under 10 knots.

Having said that, the 2 day course I did, was one of the most productive and informative courses ive done so WELL worth the EXPERIENCE. They even went into GPS navigation using maps and I came out of that course with a boat license but more importantly fundamental knowledge of boating/ navigation and common sense. I'm not sure if they still offer the 2 day course but just saying you SHOULD GET YOUR LICENSE, once you have it, you can have it forever.

Unless you have a small outboard motor that
Does not exceed 10 knots at full throttle its all
Good.

For a larger outboard motor to prove your point
though that your not going Over 10 knots i would
install a power limiter of Some sort because if your
running with a 70hp Suzuki and the water police do
a license check Its all here say and based on perception
especially If your not moving and your fishing for example.

The perception is that you can according to law
As long as your not going over 10 knots don't need
A license and the Perception from the water police
when they arrive Near your vessel is ok this boat
has a 70hp so They presume you need to have a
license.

if boat has rego you need a license 4hp up must have have rego on it can do the speed they say

Neither the size of a vessel nor the power of an engine determines whether a person needs to be licensed - it is the speed at which a boat is driven. Seems silly but that's the rules in NSW.

Rego is only required for power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5hp). There is no requirement for a licence on a registered vessel other than above - if its driven at 10 knots or more! (except for commercial purposes of course)

Got me PWC licence last year - dude they sure dont like Jetskis $160 for one year in NSW ($575 for 5 years). When compared to car, dog, gun etc licences it just doesnt add up, except for purely as a deterent - good example of how years ago a few knobjockeys stuff it up for everyone FOR A LONG TIME TO COME. Anyone see societal vs government parallels re dredging, sluicing etc