Quartz vein convergence

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you getting much sleep lately mate?
Nope! What I have/trying to learn in this thread has got my head spinning!!

Mbasko - thanks for your post. Your right I think I will have to try and follow the vein up the hill, it will certainly be a challenge because the bush is thick and the hillside steep! I feel some loaming coming on and some out of creek exploration.

Araluen - I am slowly digesting what you have posted and it all makes sense with my limited understanding of it. The supergene process could be at work here, there is a nearby gossan and the area does appear more oxidised than other parts of the creek. As for the en echelon veins, makes sense because the rocks look tortured. It's probably good to know what kind of slate I'm looking for and the quartz makeup.

I seem to be learning more about geology than finding gold, I'm sure its going to pay off though :) When the weather clears up and I can get access to the rocks which are now under water I think I will make a detailed survey of the area. Though I do have a hunch where the vein could be leading me and I plan to follow that up next time I'm out there.

Hey Prospector B
The "Gold" you are getting, is it contained within the creek or gully as in "Alluvial" or is it from outside of the creek channel? have you test panned above these veins? can you put up a pic of the "Gold" you are getting? there are still a lot of ??? to be answered.
cheers
Lee

Lee,

A picture of the gold is here. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4216

The gold seems to fall out of the quartz and is not fine, the largest piece I got was flat and kind of smooth but I'm fairly certain it was from the quartz. Maybe the supergene process...

The gold is in the wash of the creek, so far I have not taken samples out of the creek. Now that I have found a second vein with gold in it I think I will take that approach.

Thanks for your help!

Just found this great post, I dream of finding my first specie in quartz/host rock like that.
Any progression on your research of this area yet?

Thanks mate. It's really hard going, I'm still learning and it feels like I've picked one of the hardest sites to learn on. The creek is not known for its gold, I doubt many locals would know about it. That sounds great, but the reason it's not known is because there is not much gold there! The old timers spent quite awhile looking for the source but gave up, I'm surprised they made any money. I'm have read all the reports online that I can find about the area but there is not a lot of information. I'm basically learning and rediscovering what the old timers already know but didn't write down. I get the feeling they did not miss much so have no idea why they didn't go after the quartz. I'm lucky to get out once a month so it's turning into a long term project, currently I'm trying to find the old diggings but the bush gets dense in this area. I'll figure it out one day!

That's a shame mate, it started out so promising but you never know what happens down the track.
I've been wondering lately about earth tremors and what affect they play in showing new gold to an area that's been well looked over in the past, eg. would a decent earth tremor loosen gold or host rock from lead just below the surface? A question for another post I suppose.

After reading this post and a few others tonight I've decided to venture out again next Friday (RDO) to look at a couple of areas I missed out on seeing last time I went out. The work around the house can wait 1 more day.

Latest posts