Prospects dim for fossickers - The Age newspaper article.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am standing against her as an independent at the next election. I too live in Beechworth. She will have the mother of all fights here I can assure you. But she is not the only one. Sitting member Bill Tilley joined the PMAV a while back. His new partner works in the corporate mining sector. I approached him re this months ago when the report was first released. He said he would ring me as we should form a working party. Still waiting Bill. Are you waiting until after the election cos I'm not!!! He is also in my sights, and the ALP member too.
I reckon I should get a few votes. No hope of winning but I can take votes away from the others. The problem in our electorate is that it is a safe Lib seat and has been for years. Time to shake up the party.

I'm not going to apologise. The dirty underhanded tricks, spin, falsehoods and outright lies will always be held against us, just revisit dredging if you want an example. Its a question of credibility and integrity, not a lack of education, in saying that I sincerely hope that using an educational opportunity we gain some ground. Politics should be implemented bythe noblest breed, sadly it is not so.

Fact one. No conviction recorded for a prospecting offence
Fact two. The Veac report identified favourable results after dredging studies.
Fact three. Hydraulic sluicing is banned and rightly so.

As this is indisputable I stand on my principles, as our forefathers that built this state did.

Puddler Bill said:
Jenny O'Connor has accepted an invitation to see first hand what we use and how it works. To get the maximum benefit for a result I plan to show a small highbanker using a bilge pump. The bilge pump and battery will be attached to a solar panel to show that we are also into renewable energy. No petrol pumps will be used as the noise will immediately get their backs up. The highbanker will be set up so that the discharge goes over a gravel bed to reduce turbidity and water discolouration in the stream. This is how they should be used according to Parks Vic officers anyway.
I have asked her to bring as many party members as she can to watch as well and have also invited Liberal and Labour party members as well.
Its all about information and education. Not about abusing them because of misinformation.
I will have printed information about former methods such as dredging and hydraulic sluicing and explain the difference to them and make sure they know these methods are banned. I will have a petrol pump there but not in use.
I noticed on Jenny Connors fb page that people are simply ridiculing her for her lack of knowledge. She was given 10 minutes notice by the media about the interview which is why I am doing what I have described.
It makes you wonder how many other pollies in all the parties have the same misconception about prospecting. Do they all think we are hydraulic sluicing? Probably.
Petitions etc are all good but to reverse the imminent decision we have to educate them.
SO rather than criticise the pollies, why not invite you local member to a creek near you and do as I am.
And, make sure they leave with some gold.
This is how we will retain our rights.

At first I just felt like biting the head off the snake, I think your approach is the way to go.

Try to 'EDUCATE' the snake so it understands that not all prey is edable.

But more importantly, most prey is harmless but once bitten begins to fight for imunity, the prey starts to evolve and gather in numbers and together they become much bigger and more powerfull than the snake itself.

As prey we will defend, but if we are continueously miss-understood and relentlously attacked....

WE WILL become the predetors and snakes our favourite prey!!!!

Update, I have heard back from one of our pollies, member for east Bendigo, she went onto say she would be very interested to see what Ryan smith would have to say, if and when he replies.............
Hmmmmmm it's the part where she said "if" that's a little concerning.
Just have to keep hammering them I suppose, and I do not have a problem with that.

According to my local MP Mr. Bill Tilley. He spoke to Ryan Smith a while back. He came back to me and said that Ryan Smith, "Just doesn't get it". In other words he is not interested in changing his mind. What is a fact that we should all push very strongly is that Ryan Smith has acted outside the terms of reference for the VEAC investigation. Nowhere does it say that existing areas allowed for prospecting will be reviewed which means there has been no opportunity for submissions on this issue. This is in fact a breach of parliamentary regulations as there MUST be public consultation on all investigations.
This and this alone can lead to the process being halted. Write to all your local members regardless of party so they can bring pressure on Ryan Smith in parliament.

Puddler Bill said:
According to my local MP Mr. Bill Tilley. He spoke to Ryan Smith a while back. He came back to me and said that Ryan Smith, "Just doesn't get it". In other words he is not interested in changing his mind. What is a fact that we should all push very strongly is that Ryan Smith has acted outside the terms of reference for the VEAC investigation. Nowhere does it say that existing areas allowed for prospecting will be reviewed which means there has been no opportunity for submissions on this issue. This is in fact a breach of parliamentary regulations as there MUST be public consultation on all investigations.
This and this alone can lead to the process being halted. Write to all your local members regardless of party so they can bring pressure on Ryan Smith in parliament.

bingo! ;)

This is very interesting if indeed correct in what you say P B. Is it possible to politely discuss this with Ryan Smith, and draw a response?

What goes through the minds of SOME of these pollies, is it a fact of absoloute power corrupts absolutely, surely there is a current member of parliament that wants, and is on our side, even if it is just for the polling date.
I don't get it how the greens are so heavily against, anything done in bush land.
Puddler Bill let me know if there's anything I can do to assist your efforts mate.

Will do. There will be a time when we may all need to join forces to fight this. I am going to challenge this. When the election comes in November I will table some documents that will embarrass the current government no end. Not yet though.
Should they push this through I intend to get busted, and will then fight this in a court as a breach of constitutional law.

1402208722_barrier_destruction.jpg

The government body that "PROTECTS" the Great Barrier Reef has "APPROVED" the dumping of more than 370,000 cubic metres of "DREDGE" spoil in the marine park.

The reef must be hungry!

dwt, maybe an email outling the issue to Sunrise "may" help. I know they are always looking for unusual issues to cover and "crack" if possible. An email doesnt take long and could get national coverage. And after all, all sorts of coverage, any sort of coverage, will help. But we will need a well informed GOTO GUY who's right up to date with every aspect of whats on the go. Only you, the administrator and those who have started all this will know that person. But for all our sakes, go get 'em.

I like it Tassie Daz, and you are spot on the money with a full bottle go to guy/gal..
So who out there is our guy or gal, I'm happy to throw in some coin to help out with admin and expenses costs..................NUGGET arnt you looking for a new line of work?.
You could be the FACE of prospecting mate and you don't even know it.....
VOTE 1 "elnuggetino" ;)

I appreciate the vote of confidence dwt, but we might need someone a little more educated in the political side of things to get the job done right, to be completely honest I hate politics and rarely follow it. But, if you would like to help out financially, please see this post https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=82088#p82088 regarding a Facebook campaign I'm currently running for the petition.

Cheers,
Nugget

Good luck. Alot of political aspirants rarely are selfless, and none of which I know would appreciate or understand prospecting. I think those groups that are meant to provide an umbrella should be on the front for with a spokesperson, and with that less rally the numbers. This is not shifting responsibility, its giving integrity to the cause. Joe prospector is easily ignored, our federal incumbent here could not care less about my opinions on prospecting (or much else for that matter unless its a topic of passion) but someone who Carries a title instantly Carries more weight. Only as a last resort can the man of the street be put forward, and most of us would be happy to be shielded from any negativity arising by being a public face. Noone wants to be discredited for a hobby.

20xwater said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1402208722_barrier_destruction.jpg

The government body that "PROTECTS" the Great Barrier Reef has "APPROVED" the dumping of more than 370,000 cubic metres of "DREDGE" spoil in the marine park.

The reef must be hungry!

when they say "dumping" do they mean they are dumping the dredge tailings in the reef itself or dumping it on dry land in big stockpiles as per the photo ?

if they are dumping it on dry land after dewatering the stuff then there is very minimal harm from that

is the actual dredging being carried out on the reef itself where coral exists or is it hundreds of miles away being used to make the shipping lanes deeper to port ?

HeadsUp said:
20xwater said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1402208722_barrier_destruction.jpg

The reef must be hungry!

when they say "dumping" do they mean they are dumping the dredge tailings in the reef itself or dumping it on dry land in big stockpiles as per the photo ?

if they are dumping it on dry land after dewatering the stuff then there is very minimal harm from that

is the actual dredging being carried out on the reef itself where coral exists or is it hundreds of miles away being used to make the shipping lanes deeper to port ?

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority has issued a permit to allow a port authority to dump the spoil as part of a dredging project at Hay Point coalport south of Mackay.

The decision has angered conservation groups, and comes only months after the authority gave the green light for 3m tonnes of spoil to be dumped as part of a project to expand the Abbot Point coalport 200km to the north.

"It is an astounding level of arrogance," said a North Queensland Conservation Council spokeswoman, Wendy Tubman. "The government claims it is protecting the reef while allowing it to be subjected to such damage from out-of-control sea dumping."

She also says the federal and Queensland governments are taking Unesco "for a ride".

The UNs environment arm has said it regrets the federal government's decision to approve the Abbot Point dredging project and has raised concerns about the overall health of the reef. Unesco is expected to discuss whether to list the reef as a world heritage site "in danger" when it meets next week.

The Ports Corporation of Queensland wants to carry out the works at Hay Point to make it easier for ships to access the port and to increase capacity. It is estimated 378,400 cubic metres of dredge spoil will be dumped within the marine park over three years. The dredging will be carried out within the marine park and the world heritage area.

Goldtarget said:
Good luck. Alot of political aspirants rarely are selfless, and none of which I know would appreciate or understand prospecting. I think those groups that are meant to provide an umbrella should be on the front for with a spokesperson, and with that less rally the numbers. This is not shifting responsibility, its giving integrity to the cause. Joe prospector is easily ignored, our federal incumbent here could not care less about my opinions on prospecting (or much else for that matter unless its a topic of passion) but someone who Carries a title instantly Carries more weight. Only as a last resort can the man of the street be put forward, and most of us would be happy to be shielded from any negativity arising by being a public face. Noone wants to be discredited for a hobby.

Joe public is easy to ignore ... As local government is often used as a stepping stone to state government, it may be productive to start lobbying councilors in gold country shires.

It is rather ironic that our State government seem to be doing little other than brawling in Parliament, but they can make this issue a priority!

I was just thinking that maybe an article in the local rags of places like Ballarat, bendigo, daylesford, welder burn, nada you the other towns affected by the possibility of such a ban, and directing the comments to the local shop keepers (asking for their support) might arouse some more interest and support. The groundswell needs to come from more than the "interested party/parties. Perhaps setting out how the locals will loose big time when the huge number of fossicking travellers stop because of the limitations. A simple call to the local rag will bring a reporter who will be happy to hear the grievance. But as I said we, the interested party needs to have a goto guy, so I think it's about time we chose that person and got on with it. If we keep talking about it, it might get too far out of hand, and we won't be able to claw back the ground.........just a thought.

I could not agree more TD. I'm hoping to approach the PMAV on this subject to see their suggestion, as the lobby group designated for such purposes. That said I would propose that any member with a miners right in Victoria start typing and submitting. For all we know the general public and surrounding Towns aren't even aware of what's really happening. I have a few contact details I will post up for local papers.

1402308495_screenshot_2014-06-05-20-18-30.png

I left the part at the top so you can see who was trying to influence where.
Much of the distribution of these papers will be in target areas, but we need more.