Prospects dim for fossickers - The Age newspaper article.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about ill informed and unprofessional, she is trying to ban something that has already been banned for years, hydraulic sluicing!

Someone should confront her, and video her repsonse to the fact that sluicing is not hydraulic sluicing, and in no way has anything to do with using high pressure water to erode banks. It should make her look like idiot, and deservedly so. :rolleyes:

I think Prime 7 is equally to blame, who does the fact checking before going to air? And who was this lady? What a nonsense, this hasn't helped anyone.

Do tou think there might have been some creative editing??????

The prospector ( forgot his name ) didn't seem to get on the front foot at all.

Does anyone know him, is he on the forum?

I would say a lot of these people have not one idea about the bush,all talk about protecting the trees,well if they looked they would see that the 39 fire killed so many of the mountain ash.and even today they should look at what happen to the mountain ash up at woods point,they think that by making it a park that will protected it, a call for more rangers,they can not afford to pay them now,but the problem we face is we are easy targets.
The thing that surprised me a call for more 4x4 touring,well just look at the ruts in the tracks.

Thedigger

I would suggest that anyone that has an issue with digging in the stream beds go and stand by a river when it is in full flood and then you will see "damage", someone really should check if Mother nature has a prospecting license. Worlds gone mad.

I was so incensed by that interview, that I just had to write an email to the Greens office outlining how misinformed they are. The woman in the interview was Christine Milne, and regardless of any creative editing, she implies that sluicing is actually hydraulic sluicing from her description, or at least she wants the average joe to think so.

I'm sick of politicians putting up sensationalist spin for their own gain, at the expense of the average Australian. If she cannot get her facts right, she should not be in office.

Ill put a recommendation forward, evidence (video photo or other) of flood damage in watercourses open to prospecting should be kept, perhaps before and after shots, if this is the basis of their arguments Im pretty sure its easily quashed. Id love to see the 100 guys side by side, Im sure Id shed a tear. Im sure they find the bush wonderful on a nice clear sunny day from sun up to sundown, doubt many have spent the night.

For those wishing to know more ... Google VEAC and Prospecting .... The reports are worth reading

After reading the entire report ... It is pretty hard to argue that digging up streambeds has no impact on the environment in a National Parks context ... Extending the findings to crown land is perverse given the environmental damage logging/clear felling contributes.

What I would like to know is if the changes proposed relate to National Park prospecting only or are to be applied to State Forest as well

After watching the latest Catalyst, a few prospectors sluicing in streams is the least of our problems!

The Los Conches fire was so intense that a metre of soil was vaporized and all the trees killed ... Massive landscape change

The problem is even if it is proposed just for national parks, it creates a precedent for applying it to other areas.

Fellow diggers, outraged at the unaccountable conduct of the camp officials, in such a wicked licence hunt at the point of the bayonet as the one this morning, we take it as an insult to our manhood and a challenge to the determination come from the monster meeting yesterday. Now I call on you to fall into divisions of 80 men, according to your weapons, and to choose your captains from the best men among you. It is my duty now to swear you in, and to take with you the oath to be faithful to the Southern Cross. Hear me with attention. The man who, after this solemn oath does not stand by our standard, is a coward at heart. I order all persons who do not intend to take the oath, to leave the meeting at once. Let all divisions under arms fall in, in their order round the flagstaff. We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other, and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Time for this current round of repression and corrpution to end.

colinm_au said:
For those wishing to know more ... Google VEAC and Prospecting .... The reports are worth reading

After reading the entire report ... It is pretty hard to argue that digging up streambeds has no impact on the environment in a National Parks context ... Extending the findings to crown land is perverse given the environmental damage logging/clear felling contributes.

What I would like to know is if the changes proposed relate to National Park prospecting only or are to be applied to State Forest as well

After watching the latest Catalyst, a few prospectors sluicing in streams is the least of our problems!

The Los Conches fire was so intense that a metre of soil was vaporized and all the trees killed ... Massive landscape change

I've read this 16 page report. Its conclusions are based on speculation, some rare occurring recently identified species, multiple north American studies that it admits are not comprehensive, and reports on dredging. This is a tiny gap they've forced a conclusion through. Do yourself a favour and read it properly. Then tell me where it provides the proof that small scale prospecting (shovelling into a sluice) will cause irrepairable damage buddy. Its a cobbled patchwork of information that if the intent was to open areas it could well draw the exact opposite conclusion.

OK update time.
Since hearing nothing back from the Hon Ryan Smith within an 8 hour period, i decided to take the next step and send a copy of the emails sent to Mr Smith ( 8)) and the Bendigo Advertiser to 2 other members of state (vic) parliament and 1 federal member representing the central victorian region.
I have heard back from the Advertiser they wanted a slightly cut down version which i agreed, from memory i removed the parts about filling in the holes
and the PMAV has been supportive with return emails, i have also sent them copies of each email sent to our elected pollies.(keeping them in the loop)

Feel free anyone who wants to use the letters i wrote to send to your local MP's change them into your own wording or copy and paste them, send them to your local paper whatever, the more we can kick up a fuss stopping short of loading muskets front rank kneeling rear rank standing type of stuff the better chance we have of saving our right to dig a bloody hole. OMG i gotta back off the coffee :mad:

As i am hoping the newspaper prints the article i will scan it and throw it up on our forum and then follow any responses from the public section and scan and post them as well, just finished checking out the prime news clip...........REALLY.......WTF........"high pressure water blasting banks" there is no doubt in my mind that these guys are taking to much GOLD RUSH info and relating to here, well if thats the case i vote TONY BEET'S as PM now that guy knows how to get your attention... :D

So the rains stopped and the suns having a real crack at shuving its nose out so im off to use my new rubber blade'd lawn mower (dont want to damage the grass too much when i cut it) and then im going to spray some noxious capeweed with.......uuuuuum......i might try hot water today...... well luke warm, and hopefully that will tell the weeds that i dont really like them in my grass so could you please leave, because if we use high pressure water blasting on banks in our creeks and rivers, then im posotive, noxious weeds have no trouble in uprooting themselves and casually moving on.

God i need a another coffee...... ;)

Goldpick said:
I was so incensed by that interview, that I just had to write an email to the Greens office outlining how misinformed they are. The woman in the interview was Christine Milne, and regardless of any creative editing, she implies that sluicing is actually hydraulic sluicing from her description, or at least she wants the average joe to think so.

I'm sick of politicians putting up sensationalist spin for their own gain, at the expense of the average Australian. If she cannot get her facts right, she should not be in office.

have you got the email address for christine milne and anyone else involved in this ?

we all have to get off our butts and phone or email the people in this mess

I dont think its enough to have PMAV or NAPFA lobbying on our behalf , the pollies will say " oh its only 2 groups " , but if they lobby and 5000 citizens also bombard them with "polite influence" then we have more chance.

be polite concise and factual

I'm hoping to have a petition up and running soon which will serve as a headcount of people opposed to these changes. Whether or not it'll make any difference I am not exactly sure, but it's at least it's a start.

The next step as posted above would be a mass email campaign, bombarding those responsible with our views and opinions.

i dont know how many of you have read the VEAC study on the affects of prospecting in creeks and streams, i just have had a scroll through what im guessing the most important section of the report is and that is the report issued by RHITHROECOLOGY Aquatic Ecology Consultancy Services. Under heading Conclusions.
"prospecting activities in streams in victorian national parks have the potential to create appreciable ecological risks. the risks will vary depending on specific location."

Now this is just before "Conclusions" under heading "How will prospecting influence these factors and processes"
"There have been no specific studies examining the impact of prospecting on the ecology of streams, however THERE HAVE BEEN A NUMBER OF STUDIES EVALUATING THE IMPACT OF EDUCTOR DREDGING. That investigation DID NOT find ANY EVIDENCES that eductor dredging had SERIOUSLY alterd invertabrate communities in ANY of the streams sampled"

Ok dwt stay calm dont hit the pc key pad to hard.......... OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....REALLY I MEAN WHAT THE HELL ARE OUR TAX PAYERS DOLLARS DOING HERE.....
I wish some of these people would wake up and do their jobs properly..HOW CAN SLUICING BE CATEGORIZED THE SAME AS DREDGING why even include something that has been banned for years and then turn around and say that no evidence was found that it can cause damage. WHAT THE FK.
AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!
I have witnessed and heard a lot of DUMB s##t in my time but sometimes i really have to wonder, i know there are members of VEAC and other environmental groups that frequent this site and read our threads, well read this, how can we as voters and tax payers take your efforts in the investigation of sustainability and environment seriously when you use outdated misleading information like this, you might want to take a step back next time you look in the mirror, pause, and think to yourself, am i doing the best job possible that im being payed for and are my decisions one day going to affect a lot more than a LARGE POWERFULL group of prospectors.
Think about it and for the love of god, do your job properly.
Kind regards
dwt

dwt said:
i dont know how many of you have read the VEAC study on the affects of prospecting in creeks and streams, i just have had a scroll through what im guessing the most important section of the report is and that is the report issued by RHITHROECOLOGY Aquatic Ecology Consultancy Services. Under heading Conclusions.
"prospecting activities in streams in victorian national parks have the potential to create appreciable ecological risks. the risks will vary depending on specific location."

Now this is just before "Conclusions" under heading "How will prospecting influence these factors and processes"
"There have been no specific studies examining the impact of prospecting on the ecology of streams, however THERE HAVE BEEN A NUMBER OF STUDIES EVALUATING THE IMPACT OF EDUCTOR DREDGING. That investigation DID NOT find ANY EVIDENCES that eductor dredging had SERIOUSLY alterd invertabrate communities in ANY of the streams sampled"

Ok dwt stay calm dont hit the pc key pad to hard.......... OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....REALLY I MEAN WHAT THE HELL ARE OUR TAX PAYERS DOLLARS DOING HERE.....
I wish some of these people would wake up and do their jobs properly..HOW CAN SLUICING BE CATEGORIZED THE SAME AS DREDGING why even include something that has been banned for years and then turn around and say that no evidence was found that it can cause damage. WHAT THE FK.
AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!
I have witnessed and heard a lot of DUMB s##t in my time but sometimes i really have to wonder, i know there are members of VEAC and other environmental groups that frequent this site and read our threads, well read this, how can we as voters and tax payers take your efforts in the investigation of sustainability and environment seriously when you use outdated misleading information like this, you might want to take a step back next time you look in the mirror, pause, and think to yourself, am i doing the best job possible that im being payed for and are my decisions one day going to affect a lot more than a LARGE POWERFULL group of prospectors.
Think about it and for the love of god, do your job properly.
Kind regards
dwt

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nugget said:
I'm hoping to have a petition up and running soon which will serve as a headcount of people opposed to these changes. Whether or not it'll make any difference I am not exactly sure, but it's at least it's a start.

The next step as posted above would be a mass email campaign, bombarding those responsible with our views and opinions.

God bless ya nugget and thanks for your help mate..... now in relation to the environmental post i put up... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGh!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts